Post-Game Talk (GBU): Same Old, Same Old.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
5:15 - Scott
8:15 - McCormick
9:56 - Kaleta
14:57 Stafford
15:23 - Vanek

The hottest player in the league is 5th worst in ice time. Unless he is injured, please explain your ******* strategy Lindy?

I hate the misconception that Gerbe is "hustling" putting in an effort. If he was the same size as Foligno or Vanek, then he wouldn't stand out at all. Just because you're a midget and you have to move your legs twice as much as everyone one else doesn't mean you're putting in more effort than John Scott.
He wishes he was their size.... Gerbe was all over the place and led the team in SOG and set up a beauty pass to Foligno which he blew.... Gerbe isn't anyone to blame tonight...

I agree with the Vanek point. **** off Lindy.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Super Ugly- Leopold and Regher playing worse than Myers. Get Myers back out there and WHY EVEN DRESS CODY MCCORMICK. Sit Grigs and lose any offensive talent for a guy who doesn't even drop them.... unbelievable. Scott didn't fight either... Jesus god

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Pegula must be watching this ****, he clearly sees this team is horse ****, DO SOMETHING PEGULA. I swear if there are more excuses at the end of this year. I'm going to ****ing rage

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I don't really like to look too much into ice times, but I don't like the excuse that "Vanek has played a lot of minutes the night before" or similiar to that being said. Right now, Vanek is the hottest player in the league and he ranks 43rd amongst all forwards in ice time right now. I think the guy can handle it..it's not like he's an old man.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
To the "Vanek ice time complainers"...

Is it possible his ice time was down due to all the PKing the Sabres were doing tonight?

Was at this one and I am going against a few observations...

I liked Miller tonight
I liked most of Regehrs game tonight (I get it, he's slow. It doesn't mean he sucks too)
I liked Gerbe tonight
I liked Ehrhoff tonight
I liked Kaleta tonight
I didn't mind most of Sulzers game
I liked some of Staffords game tonight
Ott was running his mouth all night long

I didn't like our defense as a whole. This team just fell off the earth from last year in regards to defensive awareness and coverage. Not to mention banging the puck hard off the glass and out.

Ugly goes to who else ... Marchand. With honorable mention to Ruff. Dude needs to move on to another team, and I wish him well.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Bruins fan-I was just curious why Vanek-a certified Bruins killer was so short on ice time. Seems like he would have played more.

BTW Miller was excellent tonight-he had some huge saves.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Bruins fan-I was just curious why Vanek-a certified Bruins killer was so short on ice time. Seems like he would have played more.

BTW Miller was excellent tonight-he had some huge saves.

Probably because Ruff doesn't use him for PK's. Sabres were doing that a lot, both on a bunch of legit penalties, and a few Olympic caliber dives. Ruff's "thought process" if he is actually capable of thinking, is to not burn his legs off in a defensive role, much like how Vancouver doesn't use the Sedins to kill penalties to preserve them.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Pegula must be watching this ****, he clearly sees this team is horse ****, DO SOMETHING PEGULA. I swear if there are more excuses at the end of this year. I'm going to ****ing rage

I find myself thinking the same thoughts.

The most important person to follow with this team now is Pegula.

It's not Ruff, Regier, any of the players, or any other NHL players would might be brought in as some type of Band-Aid trade.

It's Pegula. What the hell is he thinking when he watches this tire fire of a team?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Probably because Ruff doesn't use him for PK's. Sabres were doing that a lot, both on a bunch of legit penalties, and a few Olympic caliber dives. Ruff's "thought process" if he is actually capable of thinking, is to not burn his legs off in a defensive role, much like how Vancouver doesn't use the Sedins to kill penalties to preserve them.

And it couldn't possibly be that Vanek's line wasn't very effective, and neither was Vanek. 2 games in 2 nights will do that to most players.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I find myself thinking the same thoughts.

The most important person to follow with this team now is Pegula.

It's not Ruff, Regier, any of the players, or any other NHL players would might be brought in as some type of Band-Aid trade.

It's Pegula. What the hell is he thinking when he watches this tire fire of a team?

He's probably thinking "Lindy's won in this league before, so it must be that the players aren't good enough. So Darcy will make moves, and things will get better in time."

They've got nothing but time. Easy living.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
He's probably thinking "Lindy's won in this league before, so it must be that the players aren't good enough. So Darcy will make moves, and things will get better in time."

They've got nothing but time. Easy living.

Not that it matters, but Pegula did say the first of multiple Cups would be won in 3 years.

If nothing else, it suggests a sense of urgency on their part and that they would like to see quick improvements in the organization.

Having said that, the sad part is, I think your take is highly likely! It must be the players, Ruff is the man, Darcy just needs to make a few magic moves, and it will all get better eventually.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Good:

- Miller
- Random spasms of effort that produced Ennis' goal and a couple other chances
- Blocked shots
- Kaleta

Bad:

- Defensive zone giveaways
- Bruins dictating play almost all game

Ugly:

- Team is flat. No life. Lots of lethargy on the ice tonight.

This team needs leadership. On paper, the team is better than it's record, and too many players are playing without passion. It's time for a coaching change.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
And it couldn't possibly be that Vanek's line wasn't very effective, and neither was Vanek. 2 games in 2 nights will do that to most players.

Yep. VHP when they played didn't have it today--the other lines were generating more offense. Which while unfortunate...it's gonna happen from time to time. Vanek isn't gonna be God every game this season...which is why we desperately need our secondary scorers to step up...which is not happening. Vanek's allowed to have a meh game every now and then.

Though it would have been nice to see him out a couple more shifts in the third when you need a goal, but that line simply wasn't generating much in terms of quality chances.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Regehr isn't slow because he's bad, he's bad because he's slow. Dig? Look to that time Seguin just straight up skated around him and had an unimpeded lane to the net and compare it to the season killing goal last year. Sure, he's solid in hockey sense and attitude, but when you can't execute because of a crippling flaw it sours the batch.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
5:15 - Scott
8:15 - McCormick
9:56 - Kaleta
14:57 Stafford
15:23 - Vanek

The hottest player in the league is 5th worst in ice time. Unless he is injured, please explain your ******* strategy Lindy?

I hate the misconception that Gerbe is "hustling" putting in an effort. If he was the same size as Foligno or Vanek, then he wouldn't stand out at all. Just because you're a midget and you have to move your legs twice as much as everyone one else doesn't mean you're putting in more effort than John Scott.

No wonder we didn't score more...Lindy was pulling back the reigns on Vanek....

what's up with that ?

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Toxic team is toxic. Reminds me of when Bowman was canned early in a season... think it was 86-87. Ran out of answers, "developed" a team of trash.

The Ruffski-Darcington duo are heading in the same direction... the staleness of it is really horrid.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Complaining about Vanek's ice time is relevant 95% of the time but he was fairly terrible tonight in the ice time he did get. Pomminville was also terrible so that line was just Hodgson tonight.

Although if I was Pomminville I would have taken the night off after Hecht elected to shoot the puck rather than pass it during that 2 on 1 early in the game.

nwaZ*

ruff-sabrecast.jpg

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
G:
- Austria is gonna play at the olympics.....
-......and the German team are gonna watch them on TV
-Miller
- Kaletas fight

B
- everything else

U:
- no changes will happen.
- Ruff will stay here forever.
- Vaneks ice time. This is how you handle the NHL leading scorer? I know that his line didn't create much but this guy has earned himself at least over 20 Minuts every freaking game.

WoahBoy

Uhmmmmm....SECHS!
Nov 14, 2003
East of the Hudson
Not to toot my own horn here (as I rarely comment anymore...or ever really did for that matter) but after reading this entire thread, there were 2 HUGE things that I thought about that no one touched up on...
and they were:

1) Freshness. Did it occur to you guys that since Wednesday the Bruins had only played one game prior to tonight (well, last night)? Since their game with Tampa was postponed they were probably itching to go! I didn't expect anything more out of Buffalo from tonight, who by the way, since Wednesday had played 2 games in addition to this one, and were much more recent. I was actually quite shocked Ennis managed to tie it up for a bit. And no one should be knocking Khudobin either, that guy's always been solid wherever he's been.

2) Vanek's ice time - THE REASON for it. It wouldn't shock me, but there could be still something lingering on from that groin pull he got in the Canadiens' game. I seriously doubt Lindy would have given him less than 19/20 minutes otherwise unless he was consciously aware that he was battling something here.

If we get a repeat of tonight's game come next Friday then I'll eat my own words.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad