Post-Game Talk: Same Ol' Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Stop treating me like I'm drunk when all I am is angry at the players? Seriously that was rude. That 5th goal should've been stopped. Holtby made a lot of big saves for the canucks in times of stress like that. Our defence was garbage but are you seriously saying Nurse was bad tonight? Him and Bear was our best pairing

Sorry for the offense. I thought I was being witty:confused:. You have every right to be mad but don't make a statement like that and claim anyone who thinks otherwise is out to lunch.
Nurse bobbled 3 pucks at the blueline, despite the goal not being his fault on the turnover...attacked a player with his STICK IN THE AIR when any decent dman would have reached in, and just wrung it blindly around the boards as he ALWAYS does. several times
He scored a goal....yippppeeeee. Far from calling him the best dman on the team. SK was by far the better dman. Nurse has no business playing the minutes he does providing what he does.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Yeah that was a mess. Other than the 2nd line(aka the real first line) no line or D pair found much rythm. Larsson was way way off his mark tonight but at least partially Jones has to eat some blame for being a positional nightmare and pretty damn weak in battles all night. That pair came in with some hype from people watching the practices but were down right terrible. Barrie made so many bad plays with the puck which is supposed to be a strength of his that I don't know if he was nervous or just sloppy. McDavid was stone alone on his line, Pulju was the lone bright spot on his, despite a slow start and an ill-timed penalty. The fourth line could use a makeover. Nygård should hit the ice tomorrow and wouldn't mind giving McLeod a shot as well. Khaira just makes so many bad decisions it's almost like he's playing opposite hockey, have a hard time seeing McLeod coming in and doing worse. Or Shore. Ennis can sit too if they plan on using him on the fourth line. I'd probably play Nygård on the Turris line and mive Archibald to the 4th and let Shore/McLeod center Archibald and Chiasson.

But I assume Tippett will give this lineup a shot at redemtion tomorrow. It's what coaches do. Sees this as a preseason tune up and gives them another chance to start the season for real. Doesn't have to be wrong but the players better show up.

Oh and anyone pinning any of this on Koskinen hasn't realised just how much more difficult it is to face uncontested shots from NHL caliber players vs contested shots. He could have played the last goal tighter since he had a D coming in and closing off a lot of the alternatives but other than that he was seriously hung out to dry by some major defensive breakdowns. And even the last one was a quality finisher given time to pick his spot, not exactly an easy shot to face.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sorry for the offense. I thought I was being witty:confused:. You have every right to be mad but don't make a statement like that and claim anyone who thinks otherwise is out to lunch.
Nurse bobbled 3 pucks at the blueline, despite the goal not being his fault on the turnover...attacked a player with his STICK IN THE AIR when any decent dman would have reached in, and just wrung it blindly around the boards as he ALWAYS does.
He scored a goal....yippppeeeee. Far from calling him the best dman on the team. SK was by far the better dman. Nurse has no business playing the minutes he does providing what he does.
Nurse and Bear were great tonight. Complain about bobbled pucks all you want they were on for 2GF and 1GA only pair that went positive.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nurse bobbled 3 pucks at the blueline, despite the goal not being his fault on the turnover...attacked a player with his STICK IN THE AIR when any decent dman would have reached in, and just wrung it blindly around the boards as he ALWAYS does. several times
4K definitely wasn't by far the better dman.

It's easier to look better against easier competition with fewer minutes.

If Nurse can play 20 minutes 5on5 like he did tonight and come out a net positive, like he did tonight, thats a win.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

If Nurse can play 20 minutes 5on5 like he did tonight and come out a net positive, like he did tonight, thats a win.
Nurse has always been a high event dman.
I think last year him and Bear were on the ice for the most goals for AND against.

Long term they are absolutely not a pairing you can go far with as your top guys but they are at least for the most part going even.

Reactions: Snipes45

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Yup. Tell this to the guy who thought Nurse was our best dman tonite. He literally does this dumb shit dozens of times a game for no reason
And he wants to get paid big. Absolute lunacy if he is making #1 or #2 money. He panics constantly. He's a good player, but he has zero puck poise in his own end. Something we need. Absorb a hit, get the puck out clean. Nope. He whips it to the other guys so many times. I would rather him get 15 points all year and be a rock back there.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I really don't believe there is anyone on this team besides Draisaitl that can play really well with McDavid. It's like Tippett and McDavid said, "Nuge has top 6 skill, let's put him on the top line". Nuge is a top 6 player, but he's just not a good fit with 97 - they're both playmakers.

McDavid needs a bigger bodied goal scorer on his line. Watching Boeser and Petterson was impressive - that's what he needs and deserves. I don't see anyone on our team that fits that description, except Neal and maybe Lavoie in the future...

At some point this season, I'd like to try:

Neal McDavid Pulju
RNH Drai Yamamoto
Kahun Turris Kassian

and

Drai McDavid Yamamoto
Kahun RNH Pulju
Neal Turris Kassian

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I can't believe I'm the one saying this.

Some of you are overreacting to a 5-3, Game 1 of a season where we didn't have a preseason or a real camp where we have a bunch of new bodies.

If we still are playing like this game 6 or so I'll be right there with you, until then, chill a little.
154697e849.jpg

You can't stop me.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nurse has always been a high event dman.
I think last year him and Bear were on the ice for the most goals for AND against.

Long term they are absolutely not a pairing you can go far with as your top guys but they are at least for the most part going even.
That's not their fault.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Larsson got the toughest minutes tonight. But your point stands. I'd say Koekkoek was better overall as I saw more good from him and fewer mistakes but Nurse got more done

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Nurse and Bear were great tonight. Complain about bobbled pucks all you want they were on for 2GF and 1GA only pair that went positive.

Being on the ice with good teamates does not make a good game. Erik Gustaffson has went several games with positive #'s.

Nurse and Bear were far from great, and Nurse in particular stifles the offense several times a game with his terrible decisions, especially his needless board wraps. Again, you can't blame him for a turnover whatsover, but you sure can blame him for pressuring a guy standing upright and not making a single attempt to stop a pass. He recognized the turnover, skated toward the puck carrier, but 1000% let that pass happen cuz he made no attempt to use his stick. A boatload of NHL dmen would not have done that and maybe even disrupted the play. It

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I really don't believe there is anyone on this team besides Draisaitl that can play really well with McDavid. It's like Tippett and McDavid said, "Nuge has top 6 skill, let's put him on the top line". Nuge is a top 6 player, but he's just not a good fit with 97 - they're both playmakers.

McDavid needs a bigger bodied goal scorer on his line. Watching Boeser and Petterson was impressive - that's what he needs and deserves. I don't see anyone on our team that fits that description, except Neal and maybe Lavoie in the future...

Neal McDavid Pulju
RNH Drai Yamamoto
Kahun Turris Kassian

and

Drai McDavid Yamamoto
Kahun RNH Pulju
Neal Turris Kassian
Lets just get real crazy

Neal McDavid Draisaitl
Nuge Turris Yamamoto
Ennis Kahun Puljujärvi
Kassian Shore Archibald

Game 1 panic mode.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Larsson got the toughest minutes tonight. But your point stands. I'd say Koekkoek was better overall as I saw more good from him and fewer mistakes but Nurse got more done
I wish puckiq was working right now.

But I highly doubt Larsson who played 7.5 minutes less than Nurse and Bear at 5on5 got the toughest minutes tonight.

Larsson and Jones were below 4k and Barrie at 5on5.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Lets just get real crazy

Neal McDavid Draisaitl
Nuge Turris Yamamoto
Ennis Kahun Puljujärvi
Kassian Shore Archibald

Game 1 panic mode.

Nurse - Bear
Koskinen - Barrie
Koekkoek - Smith

And Bouchard in net.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wish puckiq was working right now.

But I highly doubt Larsson who played 7.5 minutes less than Nurse and Bear at 5on5 got the toughest minutes tonight.

Larsson and Jones were below 4k and Barrie at 5on5.
According to Naturalstattrick Larsson and Jones got 0 offensive zone shift starts. It was all neutral or dzone which is quite tough

Reactions: McCombo

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Neal McDavid Pulju
RNH Drai Yamamoto
Kahun Turris Kassian

and

Drai McDavid Yamamoto
Kahun RNH Pulju
Neal Turris Kassian

1st bold:

Why are we demoting Kahun? The guy was real good tonight and has chemistry with Drai.

2nd bold:

No. That will dry up any offence we have below line 1.

Actually interesting fact, usually Tippett sends that exact line out after a PK.

Reactions: McCombo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad