Same ****. Different day. Oilers lose 3-2.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Somewhere Ralph is smiling.

I doubt Ralph is enjoying seeing someone else having to deal with these stiffs, but to your point, Eakins is now going through what all our other coaches have had to deal with. A flawed team that doesn't take direction very well.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
the cases when a goaltender has a great/very good game while still losing and letting in three goals are pretty rare, and usually involve some heroics. what did Dub do today to earn this kind of praise? only didn't make a handful of embarrassing gaffes? low standards, if i ever saw any.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Oh, big deal. Come on, man!
He should've been traded for a goalie and defenseman in the off season.

My entire point on Yak: WE DON'T NEED HIM. Holy hell, we are full of scoring wingers. We need more NHL calibre centres, defenseman, goalies. The LAST thing we needed was to keep Yak. Just terrible asset management. He adds NOTHING to this team. NOTHING. :help:

And then Hemsky gets hurt/slumps/gets traded/walks as a UFA and we're wondering where all the teams right wingers went.

bigguy13

Nov 16, 2010
Edmonton
Need Gagner back soon.
And even more than that, need to fix the god damn penalty kill. Why change what worked so well last year?
I'm baffled as to why the speial teams have been overhauled so much.
Better 5 on 5 play, yet powerplay and penalty kill constantly let us down. Even with our crappy own zone coverage, if our PP and PK were clicking like last year, we'd be 0.500ish.

And why do we need another smallish forward that does not hit, and gives away the puck more than any Oiler(other than Hall)?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
A lot of guys were on their own page tonight. We can't do that and expect to win." - Taylor Hall continued. I bet one of those guys is Yakupov.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Why the hell would you want Yakupov? Why, why, why, why?
Are people blind?

oh boy oh boy. wow somebody is mad. by chance are you the reporter that wrote that article about yakupov having no future. :laugh: some people though...

calm down a bit its been 7 games. but by all means keep crying i guess.

he will be just fine sooner or later

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
the cases when a goaltender has a great/very good game while still losing and letting in three goals are pretty rare, and usually involve some heroics. what did Dub do today to earn this kind of praise? only didn't make a handful of embarrassing gaffes? low standards, if i ever saw any.

Baby steps man, baby steps.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He led the team in goals last year and led all rookies in scoring? You seriously think he was going to be dealt? Get real.

Blaming this all on Yakupov is just stupid. He's not playing well, but RNH is playing even worse and Yak is not the reason why three Islander players got point blank shots open in the slot that killed us.

Who said I was blaming this ALL on Yakupov? I never ONCE said that! The point is, we do NOT need him. We are chock full of scoring wingers. Yakupov should've been dealt in the off-season for the needs of the team. End of story. Now this team will suffer.

Expatriate

Aug 3, 2007
Saint John
As horrible as this is, gotta give Dubnyk props for having an alright bounceback game after that horrid start. Hopefully he can keep it up.

It's so annoying though that when our offense plays good, our defence/goaltending is ****.

When our goaltending is alright, our offense can't get it done.

I was just thinking the same thing.

This is like watching a B grade horror or suspense movie. You know the ending is going to suck but you watch it anyways.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Yak is painful to watch. Absolutely ****in clueless. What do they do with him?

Putting him in the press box was a terrible idea IMO. Now the team is spinning its wheels in the mud on its first road trip and many players are struggling to tread water, struggling to recover. He's been neutered. There's little room for learning curves now as players, fans, coaches, basically everyone is saying its time for wins, it's time to compete.

A lot of you are completely exaggerating about his defensive acumen, he hasn't been remotely as bad as some people think. He's not helping the solution right now but he's not nearly as big of a problem either. The whole team, aside from maybe Gordon and one or two others, sucks defensively and has poor hockey sense. This is a major problem, the collective.

I don't think they're as bad as their record indicates but something's gotta give. They're going to have to trade one of the "big" 4. They're probably not going to get as much as they want/need either.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Eakins should have been an assistant as originally intended.

Maybe that Edm-Phi trade will happen now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who said I was blaming this ALL on Yakupov? I never ONCE said that! The point is, we do NOT need him. We are chock full of scoring wingers. Yakupov should've been dealt in the off-season for the needs of the team. End of story. Now this team will suffer.

For a team that's "chock full" of scoring wingers, we sure could've used a goal or two from some of them not named Hall tonight.

We're not that great offensively.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Same argument was made about Eberle last year.

Difference is Yakupov hasn't been signed to a long term overpayment yet.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
The swarm defense is a ****ing joke. Swarm should not mean leave the slot open at all times.

Whoever decided that changing up the special teams to these abortions we see now needs a bullet sized hole next to the gigantic one existing in their cranium.

None of the forwards go to the net. Why play along the boards? That's where they're the weakest.

The only thing Eakins has successfully implemented is a transition game breakout. Zone entry, offensive zone play, defense, special teams... fails across the board.

sync

BECAUSE...REASONS!!!
Aug 1, 2007
rdj-no.gif

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
@EdmontonOilers
"On all their goals we had somebody of position trying to help somewhere else. We have to look after our own space." - Coach Eakins

You have failed, coach.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

thank you. and most of NYI shots were from distance or bad angles. he will get a higher shot count because he lets in softies and everyone knows it. he made 3 good saves...but didnt have to move his 6 foot infinity frame at all to make them. nothing heroic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If we could somehow combine Renney-Krueger-Eakins into one we might have a coach that works for everyone on this roster, lol.

Funny thing is all of the sudden we're one of the best teams in the NHL in the face off dot, haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad