Player Discussion Sam Steel

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Steel's biggest issue in my eyes is that for a guy whom I think has decent hockey IQ, it's maddening how long he takes to do ANYTHING. I think he realizes his physical limitations and his lack of speed limits him to an extent and he's trying to control the game to his pace, but he hasn't learn to do that at the NHL level and his confidence is now shot to the point where all of his actions take place at half speed with tunnel vision and generic play.

Reactions: Trojans86 and Kalv

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You are right to use past tense. He hasn't shown much of that in the NHL.
Of course he hasn’t. The question is do you give up on that at his age. I’m not saying they’ve given up on him being a playmaker but it does seem like he’s been trended towards dump and grind. Some of that isn’t the organization though, it’s Steel not really developing over the years

To me, the only way he really makes it as an above average pro center is if he learns how to make plays with the puck as a setup man. I don’t think he has the size/speed to be the 3C checker that they want. You have to be a better pest/forechecker to be that guy than Steel is

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Steel's biggest issue in my eyes is that for a guy whom I think has decent hockey IQ, it's maddening how long he takes to do ANYTHING. I think he realizes his physical limitations and his lack of speed limits him to an extent and he's trying to control the game to his pace, but he hasn't learn to do that at the NHL level and his confidence is now shot to the point where all of his actions take place at half speed with tunnel vision and generic play.
Pretty spot on

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
There is a difference between being on a checking line and a defensively focused center. Steel should try to model is game after Bergeron.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
I was hoping he could be something similar to Bonino, but even that seems far fetched now. Don't see him as a matchup/checking center either. Not only is it not his play style, but he doesn't seem crafty enough to succeed. His stick isn't usually very active and he seems to be behind the play more than he should. He'll get a littler bigger and maybe learn to win more board battles, but so what? We don't need another frickin grinder.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
One thing that stands out about him is his lack of improvement in skating skills. To begin this season, he seemed a lot faster. But that faded away after a few weeks. Have we had anyone noticeably improve their skating under this current skating/conditioning/skills coach? Doesn’t seem like it.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
One thing that stands out about him is his lack of improvement in skating skills. To begin this season, he seemed a lot faster. But that faded away after a few weeks. Have we had anyone noticeably improve their skating under this current skating/conditioning/skills coach? Doesn’t seem like it.
Is it common for guys to make noticeable improvements in skating once they hit the NHL? I seriously don't know. I can't really think of anyone with the Ducks that have made massive strides in their skating.

Conditioning and strength are definitely areas I've seen certain guys make strides.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Is it common for guys to make noticeable improvements in skating once they hit the NHL? I seriously don't know. I can't really think of anyone with the Ducks that have made massive strides in their skating.

Conditioning and strength are definitely areas I've seen certain guys make strides.
I feel like when we had Skahan, it was pretty common for guys to improve. Maybe they didn't necessarily become rocket ships, but they improved their acceleration and power.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Yikes. This org needs some changes at the top. That is terrible.

I don't care how you feel about Steel. I have lost any hope of him becoming a top 6 guy. But f***, atleast give the kid a chance. There are so many better options in the Ducks system to be a shutdown bottom 6 center. Steel has shown offense in the past, why would you just give up completely on that?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Jeez, what a disappointment. I remember Steel was really supposed to be a high end second-line playmaker.

it would’ve been better if Kesler was around so Steel could be shown the ropes a bit more I’m playing that role.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Remember when 95% of this board said Steel would be better than Terry.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Plenty of guys have sophomore slumps and don't put things together until year 3 or beyond. Steel struggling in his second year doesn't mean he's a bust or that the organization had some weird desire to turn an offensive player into a 4th liner. There's a lot of overreaction going on here to what is largely an innocuous comment.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Remember when 95% of this board said Steel would be better than Terry.

Troy Terry D + 5 year:
47 games 4 goals, 11 assists, 15 pts 0.32PPG

Sam Steel D + 5 year:
38 games 5 goals, 6 assists, 11 pts 0.29PPG

Their production is very similar in their D + 5 years. Steel had the advantage in his D+3 and D+4 years.

Reactions: Deuce22

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Troy Terry D + 5 year:

Sam Steel D + 5 year:

Their production is very similar in their D + 5 years. Steel had the advantage in his D+3 and D+4 years.
Watch the games and see who has more impact, that's the best way to judge prospects/young players. Terry makes things happens consistently previously he was just built like a little boy.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Watch the games and see who has more impact, that's the best way to judge prospects/young players. Terry makes things happens consistently previously he was just built like a little boy.

Last year outside of the odd spurt Terry looked completely lost. You’re comparing a guy in his 6th year post draft to a guy in his 5th, that’s a pretty big difference in terms of development.

Steel has the same spurts of looking really good like Terry did previously - and just like Terry last season he is having long periods of being ineffective and a liability out there.

Reactions: anezthes

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I agree Terry makes things happen but let's not forget how horrible he was at the beginning of the year. Hopefully Steel can see a similar jump.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I agree Terry makes things happen but let's not forget how horrible he was at the beginning of the year. Hopefully Steel can see a similar jump.
He was still making things happen he just didn't know how to protect the puck and keep his balance like he does now. Steel isn't doing jack shit now and even before we were on living on his junior game when it never translated at all.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Terry has passed Steel, no question. However, context is important. Terry has an extra year and Steel has played center, not been a winger glued to Getzlaf much of the time. Again, "making things happen" sounds great, but scoring and helping create goals wins games.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Valid point. I would say that they value defensive responsibility over offensive productivity. Now we're just into semantics and trying to judge intentions.
If you meant that the Ducks turn players into grinders because they're bad at developing, fine (I disagree), but the original poster you responded was annoyed that they had deliberately chosen that route for Steel. That's not a typical route that the team takes on purpose for our players. The only ones I can think of in the recent era besides Steel honestly are Wagner and Beleskey (who turned out better!).

Intentions with development are easy enough to judge by how the players are deployed and who they play with. It's not mysticism.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
If you meant that the Ducks turn players into grinders because they're bad at developing, fine (I disagree), but the original poster you responded was annoyed that they had deliberately chosen that route for Steel. That's not a typical route that the team takes on purpose for our players. The only ones I can think of in the recent era besides Steel honestly are Wagner and Beleskey (who turned out better!).

Intentions with development are easy enough to judge by how the players are deployed and who they play with. It's not mysticism.
Choosing the "grinder" route for Steel as reported by Stephens is a mid course correction, IMO. I think the Ducks had hopes of him turning into a top 6 center. My contention is that by valuing defensive responsibility or 200 foot game over offensive production they are stunting the development of guys with offensive potential. The org has become frustrated with players who haven't fit that mold and traded them, watching them improve elsewhere. It's a plan that fine if it works-winning a lot of low scoring games with defense and great goaltending. But it hasn't worked.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Troy Terry D + 5 year:

Sam Steel D + 5 year:

Confirmed box score fan.

Watch the games and you know that Terry tries and is slowly getting there. He has the speed to draw penalties.

I am down on Terry, but he is better than steel.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Confirmed box score fan.

Watch the games and you know that Terry tries and is slowly getting there. He has the speed to draw penalties.

I am down on Terry, but he is better than steel.

Yeah I’m a box score scout, good one.

If you actually had any reading comprehension ability you would know I’m not compared Terry now to Steel but Terry at the same stage of his development to him. Steel is far from a finished product and is a year behind Terry in his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad