Player Discussion Sam Steel

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013

From this, he seems like a Cogliano that still plays center and can shoot. I feel hopeful about this pick.

Ranked #55 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #40 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #35 by Future Considerations
Ranked #35 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #30 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #41 by TSN/McKenzie

All the scouts don't seem to, but I'm hoping for a Lindholm type thing here.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I drafted Steel with my first rounder in EHM. Given the game is completely realistic I can tell you exactly what he will be: I'm 12years into the game and he's a high end 2nd line/low end 1st line centre who is not good physically but has great hands and is a good passer. Ok defensively but not outstanding. Career high of 80 points but that was playing on a stacked first line with Rakell and Ritchie. He's since lost the 1C position and is normally in the 50-60 point range.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I drafted Steel with my first rounder in EHM. Given the game is completely realistic I can tell you exactly what he will be: I'm 12years into the game and he's a high end 2nd line/low end 1st line centre who is not good physically but has great hands and is a good passer. Ok defensively but not outstanding. Career high of 80 points but that was playing on a stacked first line with Rakell and Ritchie. He's since lost the 1C position and is normally in the 50-60 point range.

You traded for Ennis, didn't you?

I know he's a winger.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
In my experience, player comparables are CEILINGS based off of stylistic similarities.

If you're telling me that Chris Tierney is Steel's ceiling, I'm not sure we got the right guy.
Yea where we're the mcdavid comparable at the 30 pick -.-

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
In my experience, player comparables are CEILINGS based off of stylistic similarities.

If you're telling me that Chris Tierney is Steel's ceiling, I'm not sure we got the right guy.

That's just one comparison, and we seen with the Etem screen grab that those from TSN should be taken lightly.

If you want a more ambitious, high end of the scale guy for comparison, think David Krejci.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
That's just one comparison, and we seen with the Etem screen grab that those from TSN should be taken lightly.

If you want a more ambitious, high end of the scale guy for comparison, think David Krejci.

Well, my scale has already adjusted to downgrading player comparables to realistic projections, so if you told me that Tierney is the best that Steel could be, that, to me, implies he's going to be a lot worse than Tierney. :laugh:

Now Krejci, I can get behind.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Give the kid some time in the system before he's judged. Comparable's are just stupid IMO. Lets see his game develop over the next 2-3 years and see how he progresses.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

Sounds like an extreme long-shot upside, Krejci is an elite playmaker.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sounds like an extreme long-shot upside, Krejci is an elite playmaker.

Yeah that would be at the highest end of the scale for sure, but keep in mind Steel was touted as a potential top 10 pick going into the year. He has obviously seen his stock drop but by taking him where they did I think the Ducks are at least one team who seems to still like his top 6 upside.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
THW (yeah, I know) had Killorn and C. Eakin as comparables, though I get the feeling our boy has a little more finesse to his game, though I'm just seeing vids, haven't followed his play on the ice.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This is a critical year of development for Steel. He really needs to show that he can dominate at the junior level especially since this will be his 3rd year in the league. I'm nervous but hopeful.

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
A Rikard Rakell type of pick? Guy known for IQ and defensive play, projected as a 3rd line center, has some finesse...

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Questioned the Rakell pick when we took him, and question this pick. Hope it turns out the same way

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
I'm not that concerned about him. Usually skilled and smart players can make it. He is not one of the one trick ponys. We just need to be patient with him. I don't think we will see much NHL hockey in the next 3 seasons from him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
A Rikard Rakell type of pick? Guy known for IQ and defensive play, projected as a 3rd line center, has some finesse...

Rakell was a RW who converted to center. Noesen was a center who converted to the wing. Ducks were in on Noesen, but were able to notice Rakell at the same time since Rakell centered Noesen in juniors.

Rakell had a lot of hidden potential at center. The Swedish national team didn't see Rakell as a center and placed him at RW.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
This is a critical year of development for Steel. He really needs to show that he can dominate at the junior level especially since this will be his 3rd year in the league. I'm nervous but hopeful.

Ask and you should receive.

Regina Pats forward and Anaheim Ducks prospect Sam Steel has recorded his 130th point on the season. This is the most by a under-19 player in the WHL since Pat Falloon put up 138 in 1990/91.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Regina Pats forward and Anaheim Ducks prospect Sam Steel has recorded his 130th point on the season. This is the most by a under-19 player in the WHL since Pat Falloon put up 138 in 1990/91.

2 more games 140 is still possible :naughty:

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA

That's it, Steel's jinxed. :laugh: Couldn't you have mentioned Ray Whitney instead?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Who are you quoting there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad