Player Discussion Sam Steel

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
That's it, Steel's jinxed. :laugh: Couldn't you have mentioned Ray Whitney instead?
Falloon was always kind of unfairly maligned. He had the misfortune of being second to Lindros and expectations were out of whack - everyone thought he and Whitney were going to be some new Gretzky-Kurri combo. Those early 90s Sharks are among the worst teams in all of NHL history. He still had a pretty decent start to his career but fought injury and bust talk and eventually he let himself go, Tkachuk-style.

Anyway, we'll see what Steel can manage but obviously 130 points is not a guarantee, just a good sign.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Falloon was always kind of unfairly maligned. He had the misfortune of being second to Lindros and expectations were out of whack - everyone thought he and Whitney were going to be some new Gretzky-Kurri combo. Those early 90s Sharks are among the worst teams in all of NHL history. He still had a pretty decent start to his career but fought injury and bust talk and eventually he let himself go, Tkachuk-style.

Anyway, we'll see what Steel can manage but obviously 130 points is not a guarantee, just a good sign.
He can only get better from here i expect him to put up 140 points at the nhl level next season.

I mean hey we need our resident fan boy for steel, we had 1 for vatanen and etem

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA

I was mainly joking. Falloon did end up carving himself out a somewhat decent career after his solid rookie season, even past the injuries and what-not, but nowhere near a 2nd-overall level. Same case as Daigle -- strong rookie season that he failed to duplicate, and he ended up earning the nickname "Fat Balloon" which certainly didn't help his legacy.

However, I was joking about his career not being a very high bar for Steel to reach, injuries or not.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I was mainly joking. Falloon did end up carving himself out a somewhat decent career after his solid rookie season, even past the injuries and what-not, but nowhere near a 2nd-overall level. Same case as Daigle -- strong rookie season that he failed to duplicate, and he ended up earning the nickname "Fat Balloon" which certainly didn't help his legacy.

However, I was joking about his career not being a very high bar for Steel to reach, injuries or not.
I figured you were. Personally I just always felt kinda bad for Falloon. His dumb name didn't help.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Played his first NHL game tonight in our win against the Sharks in season opener with 13:07 time on ice being a -1

What are your thoughts on him?

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I mean, you get what you get with him.

Lots of lost face-offs. A major disadvantage on the boards when he's in the game. Not enough speed to uniquely pressure the defense through the neutral zone.

But several times a game, he's gonna get the puck on his stick and read the play instantly, then quickly create a good opportunity for someone or himself.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
His vision is incredible, he finds passes no matter where he is on the ice. But outside of that he's still not quite ready unfortunately.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Belongs in the AHL, unless/until we get enough skill players back to use his strengths and cover his deficiencies. Will be a good one later in the year.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
His brain is nhl ready, needs to get stronger in boards and improve foot speed.

Reactions: Kalv

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He needs a goal scorer on his line. It’s too bad Perry got hurt, I know people don’t like him but he fits with Steel better than the Cogs

Playing with Aberg isn’t going to help him find his game

Reactions: Getz2perry

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Belongs in the AHL, unless/until we get enough skill players back to use his strengths and cover his deficiencies. Will be a good one later in the year.
I'm with you on this. I think there are circumstances where staying up make sense, but he needs some linemates that have a shot at using those playmaking gifts he has. If they sort Ritchie's situation out soon, he would be a good candidate for that.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Despite his size, if he will get stronger and quicker, he can be really good. We have to be responsible towards his development and send him down at some point

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He needs a goal scorer on his line. It’s too bad Perry got hurt, I know people don’t like him but he fits with Steel better than the Cogs

Playing with Aberg isn’t going to help him find his game
100% agree...also think hell get better as he plays more games... but i hope they give him kase or a top 6 winger of any sort.

We didnt do him any favors givin him cogs and aberg.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Clearly has skill and vision, but is too far off physically right now for it to cancel out. Hopefully he's in the AHL sooner rather than later to develop here - would certainly be interested to see him later in the year after he's had a few months in the AHL.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Ideally, he goes to SD when/if Kesler returns. Scores a lot of points, plays big minutes and works on face-offs. I could see him doing OK on Ducks with a couple of creative wingers on a sheltered third line.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
He basically needs to work on his first step. He’s not a burner by any means, but he is plenty fast once he gets moving. But he lacks the acceleration required to either separate once he gets the puck, or to get to the puck when there is a 50/50.

Reactions: KyleJRM

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He won’t have anyone decent to play on his wings down in SD either maybe carrick
De leo ? Jones? Terry? Carrick? Tropp? Roy? Fiore? Sideroff? Kopacka? Blandisi? Kossila?

Reactions: Ducks DVM

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Like Sam Steel. Flashes of good vision, a few bad turnovers.

It was better than game one. I think I even saw him come away with a puck on the boards.

Reactions: Doothpick

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He played 15:36 today against the Coyotes with no points.

How did he look?

Good hands and vision. One really nice defensive play where he broke up a rush on the backcheck after Lindholm turned it over.

He also made a few turnovers, one in particular in the NZ where he tried to be too fancy and got stripped of the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad