Friedman: Sam Reinhart's name being involved in trade rumors

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Plausible deniability. They count on this to A. Increase value, and B. Give them protection from the player to not strain relations. Again, this wouldn't have gotten to Friedman if they didn't want it to.

You twist everything to your anti-Reinhart agenda.

Simplest answer: Sabres take calls. Friedman finds out through sources. Friedman calls Botterill and asks if he's taking calls on Reinhart. Botterill says yes. Tells Friedman they aren't doing anything rash due to the slow start.

Same sources tell Friedman they want to Nylander play.

Three takeaways: teams are interested in Reinhart and the Sabres took calls on him. Botterill isn't shopping him and isn't doing anything rash. Teams are also interested in Nylander.

Full stop. You can take the tin foil hat off.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Botterill isn't moving Reinhart. He's taking calls. Get it that this is a trade board, so we explore options. But the Sabres aren't looking for a change right now. Especially after a win in Boston where things started to click.

The idea that we're grading Reinhart's passing and distribution skills off ten games where most of the team sucked is ridiculous.

If he isn't looking for a change, then he isn't taking calls. This isn't hard.

He could have sent a league wide memo by telling Friedman "no" when he asked. Instead he left the door open, which means he wants those phone calls to come. Reinhart is very, very available.

If he isn't taking calls, he's not doing his job. You're reading entirely too much into this.

Whether or not a team, any team is LOOKING for a change, my guess is 95% of the time, 95% of the players are available 'for the right price'. As a courtesy those calls are accepted, but if asking too much/offering too little, rejected.

Then the market works, obvious illustration in point Duchene. Sakic wants crazy massive overpay which he is not getting. He will likely get nominal overpay, although remains to be seen with variables in play.

Sabres enjoy abundance of pivots, both natural and makeshift. Reinhart is fully useful, but can be considered a luxury IF the right return is there.

But that is where there is presently a lack of consensus.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
... An extra ELC year doesn't come close to the value add needed. Hani in a 1 for 1 swap may be real close to value....

Disagree.
If Reinhart were considered on par or above Hanifin, a deal would likely have happened long ago, given CAR backliner surplus.
Either or both could exceed high expectations, fall short, or bust.
But right now, SR is closer to DeAngelo than Hanifin
I agree Rangers add, but not a lot if the price is fair value and not overpay.

This the same Anthony Deangelo that's on his third team in less than 2 years, was traded for a 2nd round pick just over a year ago, and has shown very little at the NHL level. Yeah seems like a great basis for a trade. :help:

No, see below

Exactly....
The prob here is you guys want the RD equivalent of Miro Heiskanen and SR is not worth THAT now.

If I remember Hanifin is lefty, and Canes, not having moved him yet for SR, are not likely to.

There is one thing that has changed which has been overlooked which lessens SR trade value since last year: the expansion draft. As an ELC, he did not have to be protected. That was HUGE, significantly adding to what a trade partner would have to cough up in return. With that event now history, that real but temporary addition to what SR commanded has now been removed.

If the target remains D, and strong preference for RD, let's make a list of hypothetical RDs for Reinhart. Presumably they have to be young enough, so unless it is a package, no Doughty types straight up.... who are candidates for deal?

I say again, yes, Rangers add, but DeAngelo is closer to a fit than most others.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Same group of fans having the same reaction to the same situation which occurred with Tyler Myers. Same bridges available that the same fans already bought.

You mean that Tyler Myers trade that's worked out so super well?

Sometimes the past can be a warning sign, not a sign of things to come.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Plausible deniability. They count on this to A. Increase value, and B. Give them protection from the player to not strain relations. Again, this wouldn't have gotten to Friedman if they didn't want it to.

- Teams call about Reinhart
- Botts leaks to Friedman to give Reinhart a kick in the butt/motivation to not get traded away from his bicycle buddy

The only person who sees this scenario and thinks there is ONLY ONE explanation... is the one with the agenda.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
- Teams call about Reinhart
- Botts leaks to Friedman to give Reinhart a kick in the butt/motivation to not get traded away from his bicycle buddy

The only person who sees this scenario and thinks there is ONLY ONE explanation... is the one with the agenda.
Meh, I have my doubts about Botterill being leaky already. I've read this insider "speculation" more as one of the other 30 teams slipped to Friedman or another team in conversation that they called BUF on Reinhart after seeing his early demotion and/or stat line. Next, Friedman reaches out to his usual sources to see if his name's out there with other teams, while those teams start calling into BUF too, wondering if Reinhart's name is seriously out there or not.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Meh, I have my doubts about Botterill being leaky already. I've read this insider "speculation" more as one of the other 30 teams slipped to Friedman or another team in conversation that they called BUF on Reinhart after seeing his early demotion and/or stat line. Next, Friedman reaches out to his usual sources to see if his name's out there with other teams, while those teams start calling into BUF too, wondering if Reinhart's name is seriously out there or not.

My position is that the guy who thinks there is only one explanation... is the guy who is most likely to be wrong

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Ha..ha....Reinhart is exactly the kind of player that Benning would overrate.....rumor was that Jimbo tried trading up to get him in his draft year but settled on Virtanen at sixth overall.

Really don't think that kind of draft deal was ever close.

Benning typically vastly overpays for perceived grit and defensive ability. Not quite Reinhart's calling cards.

When targeting smarter, skilled, high IQ players, he's actually paid reasonable prices.

Last edited:

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, except only certain names make it to the Friedman's and Dreger's of the world. And there is a reason for that. They want their names out there.

Exactly,

Do some people still not understand this?

The "approved insiders" serve a double purpose, they feed fan appetite for "insider trade rumors" while also serving as auctioneers for the leagues GM's

Freidman is 100% coached by Botterill or any GM who has asked him to advertise a player, he's told what verbiage to use in order to let the other GM's know the situation as he would like it to be presented.

There is a TON of meaning in this disclosure. It means 1. They do not like their team as of now 2. They believe Reinhart is part of the problem and not part of the solution 3. They would like to trade him for the right return

He's not "taking calls" he's ready to deal!

They want to turn Reinhart into an impactful defenseman, and they want to do it now.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Yeo
Ha..ha....Reinhart is exactly the kind of player that Benning would overrate.....rumor was that Jimbo tried trading up to get him in his draft year but settled on Virtanen at sixth overall.

Yep, they tried to get Sam

I think, due to the fact that jhis contract is up next year, Benning would do Joulevi, Demko and Hutton for Reinhart and Beaulieau

Could be a massive injection of just what Buffalo needs and set them up big time, sub Stecher for Hutton if they perfer him. Demko becomes Ryan Miller 2.0

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Yeo

Yep, they tried to get Sam

I think, due to the fact that jhis contract is up next year, Benning would do Joulevi, Demko and Hutton for Reinhart and Beaulieau

Could be a massive injection of just what Buffalo needs and set them up big time, sub Stecher for Hutton if they perfer him. Demko becomes Ryan Miller 2.0
Every GM takes every call on every player. Unless they are names McDavid, Matthews, Crosby, or Eichel.

Yep on both of the above. GMs take calls. And they listen. It's how they gain information on what teams want.

Right. That's exactly how GMs do it. "Hey, Friedman, please tell all the GMs I'm available to talk. Unless it's Reinhart. Then tell them not to call." FFS. That's ridiculous. You must be pretty flexible to make these types of stretches.

You are really embarrassing yourself,

that is EXACTLY how it's done, please, go ask someone who works for the NHL, that's one of Friedman's job's "official insiders" serve that exact purpose, please go educate yourself, reading your reply is embarrassing

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Exactly,

Do some people still not understand this?

The "approved insiders" serve a double purpose, they feed fan appetite for "insider trade rumors" while also serving as auctioneers for the leagues GM's

Freidman is 100% coached by Botterill or any GM who has asked him to advertise a player, he's told what verbiage to use in order to let the other GM's know the situation as he would like it to be presented.

There is a TON of meaning in this disclosure. It means 1. They do not like their team as of now 2. They believe Reinhart is part of the problem and not part of the solution 3. They would like to trade him for the right return

He's not "taking calls" he's ready to deal!

They want to turn Reinhart into an impactful defenseman, and they want to do it now.

Bingo. People would rather cover their eyes and plug their ears than accept that their favorite player is up for grabs. But there is a reason these guys get access. They scratch each other's backs.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Can't believe this is till going. Sabres trading Reinhart now would be the dumbest time to do it. Give the poor kid a chance to get going in a new system, with new expectations and responsibilities, and only several games into the season. Lots of guys at the top of the league in scoring will not be there at the end of the year, and Reinhart will improve as the year goes on. Hell, there's a young kid on my own team who struggled and is getting his groove back.

Sometimes young players struggle with confidence and just need the right moment to get it back. IF he IS going to be traded, let him get his value back first.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
You are really embarrassing yourself,

that is EXACTLY how it's done, please, go ask someone who works for the NHL, that's one of Friedman's job's "official insiders" serve that exact purpose, please go educate yourself, reading your reply is embarrassing

I used to work for a NFL team, so I know exactly how it works. GMs are going to leak to Friedman. But to leak that a player isn't available? That's ridiculous. That's essentially stopping other GMs from calling a team.

So, to recap, Botterill tells Friedman that Reinhart isn't available, and to please leak that information, so he won't have to take calls? He's deliberately trying to impede communication between himself and other GMs? That'll go really well for him at the TDL. The talks now are how GMs gain information to piece together future offers.

If anything is to be gained, we know that the vultures are circling the Sabres trying to get Reinhart and Nylander.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I used to work for a NFL team, so I know exactly how it works. GMs are going to leak to Friedman. But to leak that a player isn't available? That's ridiculous. That's essentially stopping other GMs from calling a team.

So, to recap, Botterill tells Friedman that Reinhart isn't available, and to please leak that information, so he won't have to take calls? He's deliberately trying to impede communication between himself and other GMs? That'll go really well for him at the TDL. The talks now are how GMs gain information to piece together future offers.

If anything is to be gained, we know that the vultures are circling the Sabres trying to get Reinhart and Nylander.

You hear from insiders all the time that certain players aren't available ... it most certainly is leaked from clubs front offices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad