Friedman: Sam Reinhart's name being involved in trade rumors

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
From his latest 31 thoughts column:

"The trade market tends to be very slow at this time of the season, but I started to hear the name Sam Reinhart last weekend. Reinhart scored his first of the season Sunday, although it took an NHL review a day later to confirm it.
I don’t think it would surprise Sabres fans to hear this, but, after checking around, my sense is Buffalo doesn’t want to do anything rash. It’s a new regime, it’s been five games, and you want to make sure you really know what you’ve got unless something spectacular drops on you. Might be something to watch later in the year."

Let the offers begin!

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
nobody is going to bank on a change of scenery turning things around for a guy named reinhart. his brother's story arc is going to kill sam's trade value unless he is playing well enough that buffalo will want to keep him.

Reactions: NickLidstrom

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Detroit doesn't really have any pieces that would entice Buffalo to move Reinhart. As far as Bennett for Reinhart, no way. I still think Reinhart will be the better player and it's played out that way to date.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Would like him on the Hurricanes.

There could be a deal to be made there should it come to this. Canes have a lot of young D that would be very enticing.

I still don't think Reinhart is going anywhere. He's posted 42 and 47 points in his first two years, those are hardly numbers to scoff at for someone who isn't regarded as one of these "new-wave" young stars in the NHL who are just flying around the ice. He still has a lot of value to this team, and he's not the only one struggling so far - so it's not fair to only blame him for a slow start.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Reinhart hasn't proven enough to be the centrepiece of a deal for a young top pairing defenseman. He's got tons of potential, but a 45ish point small forward with tons of potential doesn't get a top pairing d-man in my opinion.

Can he play RW? I'd be interested in him if he can play the RW. Not sure if we have anything to offer that would get it done though.

Seems like there might be something here with LA though, if the Jake Muzzin trade rumors are legit. Muzzin+ for Reinhart could help both teams out.

Reactions: go4hockey

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not a Reinhart fan. Similar to Galchenyuk; center/winger tweener. Not sure what he is. Bounced around the lineup too much, positionally as well. Definitely talent there but wouldn’t pay what Buffalo would want.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Reinhart hasn't proven enough to be the centrepiece of a deal for a young top pairing defenseman. He's got tons of potential, but a 45ish point small forward with tons of potential doesn't get a top pairing d-man in my opinion.

Can he play RW? I'd be interested in him if he can play the RW. Not sure if we have anything to offer that would get it done though.

Seems like there might be something here with LA though, if the Jake Muzzin trade rumors are legit. Muzzin+ for Reinhart could help both teams out.
He can play every forward position.

If we're not getting a young top pairing defenseman, there is 0 reason to trade Reinhart.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

Muzzin is too old in a trade for Reinhart.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What is Reinhart? He was drafted #2 overall (where you expect to get a core piece) but seems to be more of a complimentary piece (at the moment). That's the trouble when figuring out value. I don't think he would be returning a piece that didn't also have these questions. Unless a team was so desperate for a center and willing to take the chance.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Puljujarvi for Reinhart could make some sense. The Oilers are dragging their feet a bit and could use some help in the top six. Not to mention McLellan and Chiarelli love their centers.

Edit: This site+my phone=hell on Earth.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Muzzin is too old in a trade for Reinhart.
I disagree. If the point is to start getting better now (which should be the point), then you need someone in their prime coming back, not another kid trying to figure it out. I didn't check contract length though, if Muzzin is a free agent soon I could see that being a hold up. It's not like we're discussing a 33 year old here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad