Player Discussion Sam Reinhart: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Listening to Marty Biron et al Reinhart is being painted as a slow winger who scores from around the crease. That explains his high shooting/scoring average and the reason half his goals are on the power play. We need players that can do that but Sam will only get slower, not faster so long term big buck contract should not be in the cards. Maybe 2 years at 3.75 per. A tad high but shows respect. If he scores 25 goals and 40 assists a year then a good pay day follows.

Reactions: Icicle

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
So why exactly do people want to save cap the next 2-3 years instead of the following 3-4 when we might actually be good if the stars align?
It's about gearing up for a contract that ends at a useful age and not 36 years old

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Listening to Marty Biron et al Reinhart is being painted as a slow winger who scores from around the crease. That explains his high shooting/scoring average and the reason half his goals are on the power play. We need players that can do that but Sam will only get slower, not faster so long term big buck contract should not be in the cards. Maybe 2 years at 3.75 per. A tad high but shows respect. If he scores 25 goals and 40 assists a year then a good pay day follows.
Don't let reality get in the way of things that undermine stat's people's obsessions..

Reactions: BananaSquad

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I’d love this. I wanna see Reinhart show up for a full season, not half. I don’t know why he’s worth 8 years, but maybe because he’s a former 2nd overall pick?

Reactions: CacOBG

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
You guys realize he's not going for less than the Lindholm deal, right? He's going for more than that. I would expect to see 6 x $5.5

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
I like Marty but that opinion is pretty divorced from reality.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Oh I'd be thrilled with an 8 year deal now but I don't think Sam does it.

Someone posted his comparables and their contacts and none got 8 years. I don't think that was GM choice I think that's because the players want to prove something to get a bigger pay day

Absolutely. In all these convos where people want to bridge him, I’m just challenging the idea that management should want that. Not a prediction on what will happen.

Based on how the team looks, with O’Reilly gone and talent added, if I was samson’s Agent, if I could have a one year deal I’d jump at it. He should get more minutes and likely will continue to improve at least minimally thru the next few years.

Let’s say he gets one year at 3 million. Let’s say Reinhart shoots the middle between his ppg of his first two seasons as a 19-21 year old and his near ppg pace for the end of last year, and puts up 65 points and 30 goals. Oof, now your looking at Pastrnak salary.

Let’s say it’s a two year bridge. He goes for 60 and then 70. Let’s assume for argument that some would say Reinhart scoring 70 is not going to happen, or they wouldn’t pay based on that projection till he proves it. But that is kinda like betting against the whole team. Reinhart has gone thru ups and downs in his young career, but he has maintained that he is 50 point player even under horrible team circumstances. Now over the next two years you have to think that Dahlin and Mitts will help greatly improving the team offense. Jack will improve. Which means Reinhart, even if you hate him, will most likely be lifted by that production.

I mean just based on the team structure for the next two years, it would require a team apocalypse for him to not have a pretty solid point jump over the next couple years.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

Sam will “only getting slower”? Huh? He’s what, 22?! Sam has at least 6 years before his body even thinks about slowing down.

Reinhart is not the fastest or best skater. He will never blow anyone away with his skating. But to say that sam is slow is so far detached from reality. Admittedly, when he came into the league his skating was poor - especially for a second overall pick. Since he came back his second year his skating has been markedly improved.

Biron (obviously) watches more Sabres games with a deeper level of access than I do, or anyone else on this forum, but to imply that Reinhart is a slow (read: poor) skater is plain wrong.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Aladyyn

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Sam will “only getting slower”? Huh? He’s what, 22?! Sam has at least 6 years before his body even thinks about slowing down.

Reinhart is not the fastest or best skater. He will never blow anyone away with his skating. But to say that sam is slow is so far detached from reality. Admittedly, when he came into the league his skating was poor - especially for a second overall pick. Since he came back his second year his skating has been markedly improved.

Biron (obviously) watches more Sabres games with a deeper level of access than I do, or anyone else on this forum, but to imply that Reinhart is a slow (read: poor) skater is plain wrong.
Please show me a Reinhart breakaway

I'll be waiting

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
He's had about as many in the last two seasons as Eichel.

No, he hasn't. Thats hyperbole because it's Eichel.

Even if he did, breakaways =/= foot speed. I can stand on the line at the offensive zone during a defensive rush; get a breakout pass to get a breakaway....and I'm standing still the entire time until the puck is passed to me. That doesn't make me faster or slower then the other players....

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
No, he hasn't. Thats hyperbole because it's Eichel.

Even if he did, breakaways =/= foot speed. I can stand on the line at the offensive zone during a defensive rush; get a breakout pass to get a breakaway....and I'm standing still the entire time until the puck is passed to me. That doesn't make me faster or slower then the other players....
It's not hyperbole. Eichel hasn't had any non OT breakaways that I can remember in the last 2 seasons. And your 2nd paragraph proves why it's such a Pejorative Slured thing to bring up in the first place. But that's par for the course with that particular poster.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Please show me a Reinhart breakaway

I'll be waiting

We measure skating efficiency by the number of breakaways a player gets? Are you dense? Jordan Freaking Nolan had about 4 breakaways last year, is he some kind of skating guru? Savant?

I quite literally stated that he’s not the fastest or best skater, but he’s definitely not slow, and some how you bring up breakaways as some sort of definitive proof that he’s slow.

Somehow this forum never stops amazing me.

Reactions: Dingo44

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Literally. Reinhart might be the most overrated player on the sabres right now wow.

Reinhart is a quality player. I’m not sure what people do not understand about this. We have three full seasons worth of data showing that, in general, his teammates are more effective with him on the ice than without.

Sure, you can point to the dearth of talent on the wings. If they’re not playing with Reinhart who are the playing with?

Valid point.

How about him adjusting to wing and becoming a great net front prescense? How about his rapid increase in skating ability?

Reinhart will always be a love hate player because he’s not flashy and people will point to his skating / number 2 overall selection and use it as a knock against him. At his worst he will become a great 2W RW that puts up 55-65pts a year, PKs and PPs while putting up strong 5v5 metrics.

Dismiss whatever you want regarding Reinhart’s ability, the fact is he’s a quality player.

Reactions: Dingo44

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
download.jpg
The hate in this thread is ssssttttrrrrooooonnnnggggg.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Honestly the agendas are front and center in this thread. The same people who wanted ROR traded have all migrated and banded together to attack Reinhart on why he isnt good when his numbers say otherwise. So they go back to spreading false information as a backbone to their argument like the cancer bit on ROR about Reinhart's speed effectivly forming an echo chamber of idiocy.

Reinhart makes this team better.

I dont understand how an entire group can fault Reinhart's skating as a reason he shouldn't get paid or signed to a long term deal.

Skating didnt matter to any of you when defending Botterill's trade when he added 2 cement blocks in Berglund and Sobotka and a prospect with the same skating ability as Reinhart with not even half the defensive acumen Reinhart brings.

But go ahead and continue to hate blindly. I see right thru all of it.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It's not hyperbole. Eichel hasn't had any non OT breakaways that I can remember in the last 2 seasons. And your 2nd paragraph proves why it's such a ******ed thing to bring up in the first place. But that's par for the course with that particular poster.

I can remember multiple.

One that comes to mind is a goal he scored against Toronto in the last minute of the game (we were already down by a few)

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This is so tiring.

Reinhart can't break out of his own zone skating the puck..... until he does against Brad Marchand.

Reinhart only scores on tip ins.... until a review of his goals shows that isn't true.

Reinhart only scores with Eichel..... until a review of his first two years shows that he only scored 4 goals assisted by Eichel.

Reinhart isn't fast because he's never had a breakaway.... until we see proof that he has had breakaways.

What's next? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad