Player Discussion Sam Reinhart: IV - New contract! 2 years, $3.65m AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Let’s make sure to blame Sam for not being here... not the GM who is fine paying Sobotka/Berglund/Hunwick a combined 9.65 million... but wants haggle with one of our best players...

Maybe he’s giving Reinhart a taste of his own medicine and he didn’t bother showing up for the first half of negotiations

Reactions: Onry

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Maybe he’s giving Reinhart a taste of his own medicine and he didn’t bother showing up for the first half of negotiations
Will you be here all night?

upload_2018-9-14_20-14-52.jpeg

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
To make things easier for the reactionary Botterill haters on the board, I'm making available this handy template for when Sam Reinhart does sign. All you need to do is copy and paste it, fill in a few numbers, select a couple options, and then hit Post Reply. You then can claim to have the freshest and hottest Reinhart take on the board!

I cannot believe Botterill signed Sam Reinhart for (blank) over (blank) seasons! This is just another example of the man's utter incompetence! First of all, he could have gotten Sam signed at this deal easily (blank) days ago. He played hardball for this? Sam (is/is not) worth (blank) a season, and to sign him for (blank) years? A decent GM could have signed him for (blank) over (blank) years. This contract is much too (long/short) and will only cause problems (blank) years from now. Especially when you compare this contract to (blank), who was signed for (blank) X (blank), and is easily a superior player, then our GM has completely failed due to this (too long/too short/too expensive) a contract. If Botts isn't fired after this, then I'll never watch another Sabres game again. I'm done.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Honestly, put this effort into the boring cadre of posters who litter this thread with nonsensical attacks on the 22 year old impactful player, cuz they don’t like his style.

Rather than say, preemptively worry about attacks on the gm who managed this team into last place in his first year in charge.

Not to say Botts will not turn them around. But at this point he has not done anything to deserve loyalty to his plan/ability.

Eh, took me a minute, unlike some of those number polls that could take 20 minutes digging through the playing history of a lot of players of which I never heard just to decide who makes the cut or not.

I'm not a blind Botts lover - I haven't liked every move at the time, and some of them didn't work. But I do like a lot of what he has done, and I am still giving his first season a pass because I believe like a lot of other posters have pointed out that he just plugged in some parts and gave it a season to see what the team had and what their needs were before making any major moves - which you can't argue he didn't do in this summer's offseason. We'll see how it plays out. But it's obvious some posters won't give the guy a chance or just flat out dislike the guy and take any opportunity they can to remind everyone how they can't stand him. So I already can anticipate what some of these hot takes will be on the Reinhart contract, and it doesn't matter for what amount or for how long. Maybe a few of them will prove me wrong - we shall see.

Or, in the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis!"

Reactions: Icicle

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Pastrnak didn't sign until this day 1 year ago...Ehlers held out until the day before the season started.

It'll get done, everyone needs to chill lol.

We can’t chill, according to Dingo the anti-Botts crowd(funny enough seems to be a lot of the pro-Reinhart posters) need to know the contract so they can criticize Botts about. Whereas, the Anti-Reinhart crowd need to know about the contract so they can criticize Reinhart about. I’m sure there will be a low hanging fruit joke about paying half for showing up for half a season or something lazy like that.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
We can’t chill, according to Dingo the anti-Botts crowd(funny enough seems to be a lot of the pro-Reinhart posters) need to know the contract so they can criticize Botts about. Whereas, the Anti-Reinhart crowd need to know about the contract so they can criticize Reinhart about. I’m sure there will be a low hanging fruit joke about paying half for showing up for half a season or something lazy like that.

I like Reinhart AND am not anti-Botts? :dunno:

Reactions: Reddawg

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
To make things easier for the reactionary Botterill haters on the board, I'm making available this handy template for when Sam Reinhart does sign. All you need to do is copy and paste it, fill in a few numbers, select a couple options, and then hit Post Reply. You then can claim to have the freshest and hottest Reinhart take on the board!

I cannot believe Botterill signed Sam Reinhart for (blank) over (blank) seasons! This is just another example of the man's utter incompetence! First of all, he could have gotten Sam signed at this deal easily (blank) days ago. He played hardball for this? Sam (is/is not) worth (blank) a season, and to sign him for (blank) years? A decent GM could have signed him for (blank) over (blank) years. This contract is much too (long/short) and will only cause problems (blank) years from now. Especially when you compare this contract to (blank), who was signed for (blank) X (blank), and is easily a superior player, then our GM has completely failed due to this (too long/too short/too expensive) a contract. If Botts isn't fired after this, then I'll never watch another Sabres game again. I'm done.
If it's a universally liked contract, option B is: "Am I supposed to be impressed with our GM? A 6 year old could have given Reinhart that deal. I can't believe he is getting praise for simply not messing up an easy task."

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If it's a universally liked contract, option B is: "Am I supposed to be impressed with our GM? A 6 year old could have given Reinhart that deal. I can't believe he is getting praise for simply not messing up an easy task."

That's very similar to the "sure we only gave up (not much) for (considered a good player), but obviously he can't really be any good and no other GM must have thought he was worth as much as Botts gave up for the guy."

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Eh, took me a minute, unlike some of those number polls that could take 20 minutes digging through the playing history of a lot of players of which I never heard just to decide who makes the cut or not.

I'm not a blind Botts lover - I haven't liked every move at the time, and some of them didn't work. But I do like a lot of what he has done, and I am still giving his first season a pass because I believe like a lot of other posters have pointed out that he just plugged in some parts and gave it a season to see what the team had and what their needs were before making any major moves - which you can't argue he didn't do in this summer's offseason. We'll see how it plays out. But it's obvious some posters won't give the guy a chance or just flat out dislike the guy and take any opportunity they can to remind everyone how they can't stand him. So I already can anticipate what some of these hot takes will be on the Reinhart contract, and it doesn't matter for what amount or for how long. Maybe a few of them will prove me wrong - we shall see.

Or, in the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis!"

Oh I don’t think you are necessarily wrong in your possible prognostication.

It just boggles my mind to be more irritated by plausible criticism of the gm, which I agree will play out good or bad, versus the endless bullshit that gets posted by a sordid number of posters.

Not saying it’s your job to call them out, but I notice you post similar comments about being annoyed with the takes about Botts, but I can’t think of a time where you had a similar condemnation of the far more absurd and just as frequent attacks against a good player.

It just strikes me as odd, that’s all.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Oh I don’t think you are necessarily wrong in your possible prognostication.

It just boggles my mind to be more irritated by plausible criticism of the gm, which I agree will play out good or bad, versus the endless bull**** that gets posted by a sordid number of posters.

Not saying it’s your job to call them out, but I notice you post similar comments about being annoyed with the takes about Botts, but I can’t think of a time where you had a similar condemnation of the far more absurd and just as frequent attacks against a good player.

It just strikes me as odd, that’s all.

You just don't notice them. Or they are just so flat out dumb they don't even need a rebuttal. I mean some of the "hot" takes about Reinhart lately...seriously. :loony:

I don't mind criticism of the GM, coach, players, etc. but I just don't like it when it is either 1. repeated ad nauseam 2. reactionary.

I'll have to tag you the next time I defend a player though. :laugh:

Reactions: sabrebuild

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
You just don't notice them. Or they are just so flat out dumb they don't even need a rebuttal. I mean some of the "hot" takes about Reinhart lately...seriously. :loony:

I don't mind criticism of the GM, coach, players, etc. but I just don't like it when it is either 1. repeated ad nauseam 2. reactionary.

I'll have to tag you the next time I defend a player though. :laugh:

I very well might have, and it certainly isn’t a requirement.

I get the repetitiveness can be annoying, but it seldom comes from a vacuum.

Carry on good sir.

Reactions: Dingo44

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Personally, I like "Muffin." It's endearing. I'm not sure why some people get so worked up about a nickname.
I think its a little strange.

I'm just thinking about if a guy was reading the stuff written about him on here. Like typical fan stuff "he's good, he's not good, he's overpaid" etc is pretty normal for fans to do. But seeing a bunch of strangers calling you muffin would be a little creepy. I know I'm over-thinking it, but its a little off-putting to me. You and anyone else can use the nickname, I don't care enough to actually try to stop people from using it. I'm just personally not a fan.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I think its a little strange.

I'm just thinking about if a guy was reading the stuff written about him on here. Like typical fan stuff "he's good, he's not good, he's overpaid" etc is pretty normal for fans to do. But seeing a bunch of strangers calling you muffin would be a little creepy. I know I'm over-thinking it, but its a little off-putting to me. You and anyone else can use the nickname, I don't care enough to actually try to stop people from using it. I'm just personally not a fan.
Well, I can see that if your mind goes to the creepy meaning of the word. That thought hadn't crossed my mind.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Well, I can see that if your mind goes to the creepy meaning of the word.
Hold up... that's not part of it.

The nickname could be cupcake, donut, brownie, or whatever other baked good you want it to be and I'd still think it is slightly creepy. It's not the specific nickname muffin, its giving a pet-name to a stranger that I'm not participating in.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

The nickname could be cupcake, donut, brownie, or whatever other baked good you want it to be and I'd still think it is slightly creepy. It's not the specific nickname muffin, its giving a pet-name to a stranger that I'm not participating in.

Not that I want to explain it, and you may or may not remember (I apologize if you do), but when Reinhart started, someone called his less than strong shot at the time a "muffin", and then one poster thought it would be funny to keep pushing that as his nickname, and it annoyed lot of others, and then it kind of went away. I hated it then and I hope it doesn't return. And Reinhart's shot is no longer a "muffin" anyway, so it doesn't even apply.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

It came from a quote by Dan Bylsma referring to his shot as "a bit of a muffin" (IIRC), so it's got history and it's a kind of humorous nickname for a professional hockey player. I don't see why it would be creepy. A little unusual, sure, but all in good fun. Kind of like whoever it was who referred to Casey as "Chubs" the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad