Player Discussion Sam Reinhart: IV - New contract! 2 years, $3.65m AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Other one got locked at 1000.

@Buffaloed said something about a whipping boy.

I'm not see fault with either side yet. Just misaligned expectations.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Hes not a whipping boy, hes just not performing at the level he is supposed to per his draft position and that is a fact, nothing to do with scape goating, whipping boy, etc, etc. He should be happy if he gets 5mil contract at any term right now, sitting out and holding out for something I dont think he deserves doesnt raise his profile in my eyes one bit. Ive said it before, hes not a leader, so he shouldnt demand leadership role pay. And its just even showing even more hes not a leader that hes still holding out and not in camp after the disaster of a season last year for the team. Brand me as a Sam hater or whatever but this is just the truth.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
6 years at 5.25 make it happen Botterill. You already started to win me over bringing in Skinner, now reel in the other good ole Canadian boy.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Can someone fill me in on the CBA rules in this situation? How much longer is he actually under contract with the Sabres, and what are his responsibilities with regards to participating in training camp and games if he does not sign a new contract (since apparently participation in training camp is not mandatory)?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Can someone fill me in on the CBA rules in this situation? How much longer is he actually under contract with the Sabres, and what are his responsibilities with regards to participating in training camp and games if he does not sign a new contract (since apparently participation in training camp is not mandatory)?
He isn't under contract at all. He has no obligations to the club until he signs a contract.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Okay, but he can play if he wants to, even without a contract? I thought I read about other players in his situation doing that.
Not in the NHL. He could go play overseas, conceivably, if this drags on (which it hasn't come close to doing).

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Not in the NHL. He could go play overseas, conceivably, if this drags on (which it hasn't come close to doing).
Thanks. I thought I had read about another player in a similar situation going into the season without a contract, but if that was the case, I guess he must not have actually played. Anyway, it seems like both sides should have a lot of incentive to get this done soon.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Thanks. I thought I had read about another player in a similar situation going into the season without a contract, but if that was the case, I guess he must not have actually played. Anyway, it seems like both sides should have a lot of incentive to get this done soon.
I think you’re thinking of Ristolainen, who participated in camp without his contract being finalized. Sam could do that, but it seems he’s chosen not to which is his right and probably the smart move.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Eichel told his agent 'do whatever it takes to sign before camp'.

Reinhart is holding out during a tumultuous off-season. What a selfish [mod]. If we wants big money maybe he should show up for a full season first.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Reinhart is holding out during a tumultuous off-season. What a selfish prick. If we wants big money maybe he should show up for a full season first.
Sam and his agent and doing what they feel is best for Sam in this situation. As is the case with several other RFAs.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny

Reinhart is holding out during a tumultuous off-season. What a selfish prick. If we wants big money maybe he should show up for a full season first.

Eichel also knew he was getting a max-year deal and top dollar. Reinhart is fighting to get as much of both as he can. It's no different then any other player in this situation.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

Oh brother. Sam, like every other professional hockey player, is potentially one hit away from never being able to play again. You never know how long you will be able to play at this level. He should absolutely get the best deal he possibly can.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

These situations literally couldn't be more different.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Right. Selfish.

It’s not really selfish, unfortunately hockey is a buisness and agents are going to try and get the best deal they can for their clients. Gone are the days of loyalty to an organization.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Eichel also knew he was getting a max-year deal and top dollar. Reinhart is fighting to get as much of both as he can. It's no different then any other player in this situation.

Literally everyone in the hockey world knew Jack was getting max term and 9-10 million AAV. His situation isn’t even close to that of Sam.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Why would he care if he is in camp anyway??? He sucks, is slow, only scores on tip ins and can’t cleanly get out of the zone.

Tell us true, do you just post these outlandish things to get Alladyn’s attention? There’s easier ways to get people to respond than looking bizarrely petty.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Hes not a whipping boy, hes just not performing at the level he is supposed to per his draft position and that is a fact, nothing to do with scape goating, whipping boy, etc, etc. He should be happy if he gets 5mil contract at any term right now, sitting out and holding out for something I dont think he deserves doesnt raise his profile in my eyes one bit. Ive said it before, hes not a leader, so he shouldnt demand leadership role pay. And its just even showing even more hes not a leader that hes still holding out and not in camp after the disaster of a season last year for the team. Brand me as a Sam hater or whatever but this is just the truth.

Actually, it's just your opinion.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Is this one of those "alternative facts" things I've been reading about?

First of all, Eichel was content playing out 2017-18 without a new contract, and/or having negotiations continue into the season.

Source: Agent: Eichel content playing out 2017-2018 season without new deal

Second, Eichel did not sign before camp. He signed his contract on October 3, 2017, just before the season started.

Source: Sabres sign Jack Eichel to long-term contract extension - Sportsnet.ca

Third, Eichel was under contract for 2017-18, so he could not sit out training camp even if an extension wasn't yet agreed upon.

In sum, you are wrong and, in any event, these are completely different situations. It's almost as if you're trying to seize on this situation to bang your pro-Jack-anti-Sam drum. (Let me guess, you don't have anything against Sam, right?)

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Right. Selfish.
I like where i work. I like what i do. But when it comes time to get paid, you better believe i am doing whatever i need to to make sure I maximize my income. What reinhart is doing is absolutely no different.

And tumultuous offseason?? that's completely subjective and i doubt Reinhart or any other player not named O'Reilly or Lehner felt any of that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The team is thinking about the team and the player is thinking about the player.

That is how contract negotiations work.

Was Eichel selfish for pushing for $10M per and not taking less to leave cap space for deals for other players like Reinhart?

I don't think any player owes anything to anyone when it comes to contract talks.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The team is thinking about the team and the player is thinking about the player.

That is how contract negotiations work.

Was Eichel selfish for pushing for $10M per and not taking less to leave cap space for deals for other players like Reinhart?

If you believe his agent, Jack left money on the table in order to preserve team cap space. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->