Player Discussion Sam Reinhart: IV - New contract! 2 years, $3.65m AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So essentially he got the Huberdeau deal. Totally fair - if he continues on the same path as Huberdeau we are likely looking at 6 to 6.5 mil on his next contract - and I will be totally fine with this.

Reactions: stokes84

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
So essentially he got the Huberdeau deal. Totally fair - if he continues on the same path as Huberdeau we are likely looking at 6 to 6.5 mil on his next contract - and I will be totally fine with this.
Yeah, the worry is he becomes a 75-85 point player and now we're talking minimum of $8.5m. But when you look at this bridge deal being about $2m less than projected it's actually a good risk to take.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Yeah, the worry is he becomes a 75-85 point player and now we're talking minimum of $8.5m. But when you look at this bridge deal being about $2m less than projected it's actually a good risk to take.
Cant possibly see how Sam becomes a PPG player. There are only so many times a puck is available for tap or tip in the net and he produces very marginally from other ice locations. To be a consistent PPG player you need to create offence and points in other eays. 25-30g, 35-40A is probably his absolute ceiling based on his skillset. 65 point player with RFA status still likely gets something in the 6.5mil range in a couple of years time when you account for the cap going up.
2x3.65 + 6x6.5 is just fine for Sam. Of course the risk is we do need money for Caseys, Skinners and Rasmuses of the world but I think after we clear the bad contracts and with cap going up we shoukd be able to afford this cap hit without major issues.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
No, you only like the job he’s doing because you agree with it.

As for Botts if he’s only paying him for last season’s performance the man needs to be shot into the sun.
Your comment makes zero sense. I only like the job because I agree with it. Isn't that how EVERYTHING works
Your boss likes your work if he agrees with it? Sometimes the nonsense you post to belittle someone's opinion is outrageous.

NHL poll - Sabres will make the playoffs
best under 23 core - Sabres 2nd
Top prospects - sabres 1st
3 first rounders next season
Good contracts signed

I am assuming by your post you disagree with him and think he is doing a terrible job. Lmao. Sure.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Your comment makes zero sense. I only like the job because I agree with it. Isn't that how EVERYTHING works
Your boss likes your work if he agrees with it? Sometimes the nonsense you post to belittle someone's opinion is outrageous.

NHL poll - Sabres will make the playoffs
best under 23 core - Sabres 2nd
Top prospects - sabres 1st
3 first rounders next season
Good contracts signed

I am assuming by your post you disagree with him and think he is doing a terrible job. Lmao. Sure.

NHL poll - Sabres will make the playoffs - Means nothing to team performance
best under 23 core - Sabres 2nd - Ranking means nothing to the actual team performance
Top prospects - sabres 1st - Cool, we've never had that before :rolleyes:
3 first rounders next season - Cool, and we'll see how he really is at drafting players when he isn't gifted a 1st overall and a top 3 talent.
Good contracts signed - That's true, but there are many other things he's done in terms of building the team which I disagree with heavily.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
giphy.gif

Boy, we need to buy a few of these around here.
I was right! I was right! Look at me!

Yes indeed...a few babies do need to be burped.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Cant possibly see how Sam becomes a PPG player. There are only so many times a puck is available for tap or tip in the net and he produces very marginally from other ice locations.

How will the team's best passer and down low playmaker find a way to score points beyond tips and taps....
:rolleyes:

To be a consistent PPG player you need to create offence and points in other ways.

25 tip and tap assists i guess
:rolleyes:

25-30g, 35-40A is probably his absolute ceiling based on his skillset.

So his ceiling is "top 30 forward in the NHL".....

65 point player with RFA status still likely gets something in the 6.5mil range in a couple of years time when you account for the cap going up.

2x3.65 + 6x6.5 is just fine for Sam. Of course the risk is we do need money for Caseys, Skinners and Rasmuses of the world but I think after we clear the bad contracts and with cap going up we shoukd be able to afford this cap hit without major issues.

What does that look like
(I would consider the following contracts "best case scenarios")
Skinner signs 7x7 in 2019
Reinhart sign 6x6.5 in 2020
Mittelstadt signs 2x3.75 bridge in 2020
Dahlin signs 8x12 extension in 2020 (2021 season)

That would give us 8 players at 55 million (includes Eichel, Berglund, Okposo)

You could buy out the last year of Bergland and/or the last 2 years of Okposo

But you also have to account big dollars for
1. Ullmark/Goaltending
2. Breakout young players (Nylander, Asplund, Thompson, Guhle, etc)
3. Real depth on the blueline (Post Bogo, Scandella, McCabe, etc)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
What does that look like
(I would consider the following contracts "best case scenarios")
Skinner signs 7x7 in 2019
Reinhart sign 6x6.5 in 2020
Mittelstadt signs 2x3.75 bridge in 2020
Dahlin signs 8x12 extension in 2020 (2021 season)

That would give us 8 players at 55 million (includes Eichel, Berglund, Okposo)

You could buy out the last year of Bergland and/or the last 2 years of Okposo

But you also have to account big dollars for
1. Ullmark/Goaltending
2. Breakout young players (Nylander, Asplund, Thompson, Guhle, etc)
3. Real depth on the blueline (Post Bogo, Scandella, McCabe, etc)
I mean, you have to think forward a little bit. If it's looking like one or more of Nylander, Thompson, Mittelstadt, Asplund are long term top 6 answers... maybe you flip Skinner at the TDL this year. If Reinhart stagnates over the next two years or doesn't bring much more than being Eichel's wingman, maybe you consider moving him or not going up to 6.5. As you said, you could buy out Okposo and Berglund if needed.

Teams live and die on their youth coming in and effectively filling roles on the cheap. If we have that in the pipeline, I'm inclined to say we'll be fine as long as we get the right guys signed long term. If we don't have that in the pipeline, then it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I mean, you have to think forward a little bit. If it's looking like one or more of Nylander, Thompson, Mittelstadt, Asplund are long term top 6 answers... maybe you flip Skinner at the TDL this year. If Reinhart stagnates over the next two years, maybe you consider moving him. As you said, you could buy out Okposo and Berglund if needed.

Teams live and die on their youth coming in and effectively filling roles on the cheap. If we have that in the pipeline, I'm inclined to say we'll be fine as long as we get the right guys signed long term. If we don't, then it doesn't really matter.

I think one of the big misses on not going long term with Reinhart now, is that we waste saving on his contract now (bridge) while a lot of our youth are on ELCs... Reinhart's next contract (which will cost more than if we had done a long term deal now) is now the same year Thompson and Mittelstadt come off their ELCs.... Ullmark and Erod will be on new contracts too

Instead of taking advantage of ELCs by paying Reinhart now.... we added a bunch of crap to chew up that cap space in the next two years.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Please stop lying. It seriously is ridiculous and takes it hard reading ANYTHING you say truthfully. Nobody said he was worth $7 million.

Oh really?

From the other Reinhart thread. Yep I'm lying I definitely made up 7 mil and not a single person has said it in regards to a Reinhart extension.
I'd just love to know where the offers are at this point.
Suspect we'll see a bridge, 2 years at 4.5 per.
Suspect we'll see a huge deal on the other side of that bridge, 7.5 or 8.
Would we need to make cap room say if Reinhart gets 7mil x 8 years?
What is the limit in term/years with or current situation?
All I gotta say is when considering both sides best interest in what they’re trying to receive you could convince be Reinhart should get $7m/yr on an 8yr deal (optimistic projection) or should only garner something like $4.5m on a 3yr deal. I’m happy I’m not the one trying to figure this one out.
Dont feel like going through 2000 posts of people arguing to find more and only skimmed a few pages in the old thread but yes several people have mentioned 7 mil AAV. In fact Reinhart supporters are saying 8-8.5 AAV after he scores 70 points.
How to show you have not watched a Sabres game in 3 years.
Sorry, I dont grossly overrate my favorite players. You also have said Sam Reinhart is the best forward from 2014....better then Draisaitl, Pasta, Nylander and Ehlers. Reinhart is the 5th best forward AT BEST from 2014. But honestly hes behind Larkin now. Again, Reinhart does not elevate his teammates. Hes a complimentary winger not a star. When Reinhart has another 50ish point season maybe you'll realize he isnt a superstar.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I don't see that as something to "worry about". Nor do I care if he gets paid accordingly if he becomes said player.
I guess the idea though, is that you want a GM to be proactive when it comes to the cap and not reactive. That's how you set your team up for good situations as talent comes in and you start to contend.

But it's also completely possible they don't see Sam as the 75-85pt player that fans do around here.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I guess the idea though, is that you want a GM to be proactive when it comes to the cap and not reactive. That's how you set your team up for good situations as talent comes in and you start to contend.

But it's also completely possible they don't see Sam as a 75-85pt player as fans do around here.

I get that. I'm someone that wanted Sam signed long term. But I don't view Sam potentially becoming a 75-85 point player and the contract that comes with it as something to worry about.

Something to worry about is Okposo going into Moulson territory with 5 more years at 6mil per.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Cant possibly see how Sam becomes a PPG player. There are only so many times a puck is available for tap or tip in the net and he produces very marginally from other ice locations. To be a consistent PPG player you need to create offence and points in other eays. 25-30g, 35-40A is probably his absolute ceiling based on his skillset. 65 point player with RFA status still likely gets something in the 6.5mil range in a couple of years time when you account for the cap going up.

Are we really going to have the "Reinhart tap and tip in" conversation again?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Are we really going to have the "Reinhart tap and tip in" conversation again?
It never finished. No amount of proof will ever be good enough for people who just can't appreciate that a hockey player can be great without elite physical traits (like size, speed, strength). It doesn't matter to them. Reinhart cannot dangle a defensemen into a pretzel, therefore he isn't good. It's ok with me, as long as those people with that world view don't run the Sabres hockey operations.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He plays right wing with Jack and Skinner. They click as our top line and Sam has PP success. That is a scenario where I could see Sam as a PPG player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad