Player Discussion Sam Reinhart: IV - New contract! 2 years, $3.65m AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
You positive you’ve never made any “Eichel would be over ppg if only guys finished his setups...”?

I can’t say. But if you wanted to apply additional phantom assists to Reinhart, you’d have to apply some to Okposo... it just doesn’t get you over the hump convincingly.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Part 1 of 2 of Okposo vs Reinhart with PRIMARY ASSISTS only

On Okposo's primary assists:

1 - to ROR vs SJ - PP - Passed from Right Faceoff Dot (from goalie) to a trailing ROR, who took two strides and shot with a slap shot.

2. - to ROR vs Det - EV - Play started by Okposo down below goal line to the blue line. Accepted by (I believe) Scandella, across to Antipin with a one-timer on net, goalie kicked rebound to Okposo who kicked the puck(literally) free, ROR jumped on loose puck and put in open net.

3. - to Nolan vs MN - EV - Collects loose puck, skates through neutral zone with trailing Nolan, Before blueline Nolan crosses and leaves drop pass for Nolan who brings in the puck and roofs off a shot top corner.

4. - to Josefson vs EDM - EV - Play starts with Josefson controlling the puck down low. Comes out near the goal line for an attempted shot on net, stopped and played into the corner. Okposo collects loose puck and passes into the slot for a one-timer by Josefson top corner

5. - to Eichel vs NJD - PP - Play starts near the boards with Eichel, ROR, and Reinhart winning the battle. ROR to Risto, to then Okposo who skates down the left wall and threads the needle to Jack at the Right faceoff dot for a one-timer

6. - to Reinhart vs NYR - PP - Play begins with ROR at center ice with feed to Eichel. Eichel brings it in, and back passes to Risto who one-times it on net, Okposo tips puck, save, Reinhart collects it and buries the rebound.

7. - to Eichel - vs WPG - PP - Play begins with Okposo moving near the blue line with the puck on top of the zone. Feeds it to Eichel via backhand. Eichel collects puck, stick handles with it for a couple of seconds and then proceeds to fire a wrister with Reinhart screening the goalie.

8. - to Eichel vs WPG - EV - Play starts with Risto dumping it in the zone and chasing it. Risto goes into the corner. Tries to throw it out front, which hits a skate to Okposo who is just below the left faceoff dot, who passes it cross ice to Eichel that is just above the crease to the right of the goalie who buries it into the wide open net.

9. - to Pouliot vs CBJ - EV - Play starts with Columbus D man shoots it around the boards. Okposo stops at the blueline, plays it to Eichel, who returns the feed back to Okposo, for a one-timer in the slot. Pouliot taps home rebound.

10. - to Ristolainen vs NYR - PP - Play starts with Eichel feeding Risto, Risto passes to Okposo who heads towards the net, but then dishes back to Risto for the one-timer with screens on the goalie.

11. - to Girgensons vs EDM - Girgs collects the puck on the half wall. Creates a two-on-one with Okposo. Passes to Okposo just before the blueline, feeds it back to Girgs into his skates and deflects into the net.

12. -to ROR vs COL - PP - Risto starts with a pass to Okposo who is at the left dot who passes it down to ROR. ROR collects puck and turns and shoots far side on the goalie

13. -to ROR vs TBL - PP - Play starts with ROR protecting and controlling the puck. Goes down low, passes to Okposo who misses wide a one-timer, which ROR jumps on the rebound.

14. - to E-Rod vs OTT - EV - Okposo brings it into the zone, crosses the middle with E-Rod streaking down the goalie's left, Okposo hits him with an in-stride pass that E-Rod roofs top corner.

15. - to Reinhart vs NYR - PP - Play starts with Eichel feeding it to Reinhart down low, who passes to ROR in the slot. ROR chases it into the corner, collects it, and passes it to Okposo who is by the blueline. Okposo gets into position and takes a slapshot which Reinhart tips into the net.

16. - to Nelson vs TOR - EV - Play starts with Okposo bringing it into the offensive zone. Tries to pass in the slot to Larsson(hits his skate), deflects back, then makes a cross ice pass to Wilson at the crease. Goalie makes a save, Larsson tries following up but goalie makes a save again. Okposo collects the puck and heads to the boards near the left dot (goalie), passes it to Nelson who stops, fakes a shot, then wrists one through and beats the goalie thanks to a screen.
This isn't worth your time...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This isn't worth your time...

Actually I don't mind.

I was curious of who and how they got their assists. Now mind you this doesn't paint the whole picture no matter what side of the debate you're on.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Reinhart has one season in which he finished with more assists than Kyle Okposo. Okposo played 65 games that season, and it was still pretty close.

That doesn’t mean you are a better passer. There’s guys in the AHL who are better passers then top 6 forwards. Hell, I bet you Dylan Strome is the best pure passer on Arizona, and he’s not even on their team full time. More assists doesn’t equal better passing.

Reactions: sabrebuild

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
this is a pretty interesting line of discussion because this thread has extremely high Expected Good Posts and nonetheless there are hardly any

Reactions: stokes84

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
That doesn’t mean you are a better passer. There’s guys in the AHL who are better passers then top 6 forwards. Hell, I bet you Dylan Strome is the best pure passer on Arizona, and he’s not even on their team full time. More assists doesn’t equal better passing.

I think this is the crux, and is the argument I’ve been waiting for, and where I know we disagree. To be a good passer in the NHL, it includes being able to get yourself into position where it counts. I don’t consider the act of passing to be a stand-alone attribute. It’s combined with all of the other elements that allow you to be an effective player in the league.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If you did the that competition from the All-Star game where you have to pass in into the 10 inch nets Sam Reinhart would finish 1st on the sabres probably half the time.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
My goodness, this forum is painful to read. Just ignore the trolls who say outlandish things and won't be persuaded by facts. You don't need to convince everyone who holds a crazy opinion that they're wrong. It's a waste of time and only makes the experience of this forum worse for everyone.

This place is as toxic as it gets. Used to bring a lot more joy to my life then it does now.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think this is the crux, and is the argument I’ve been waiting for, and where I know we disagree. To be a good passer in the NHL, it includes being able to get yourself into position where it counts. I don’t consider the act of passing to be a stand-alone attribute. It’s combined with all of the other elements that allow you to be an effective player in the league.

So true.... and Reinhart is elite at it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Reinhart has one season in which he finished with more assists than Kyle Okposo. Okposo played 65 games that season, and it was still pretty close.

Funny... you didn't list Okposo as a better passer than Reinhart.... but you think assist stats prove that he is.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It's gone downhill fast in the last year.
Instead of discussion it’s posters hell bent on being stubborn mules who need to be right all the time. You know it’s bad when you can predict certain posters reactions before something happens because they are so agenda driven.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Sadly agree with this :(

Some of us are just thrilled to have Samson back! :heart:

full

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Care to list what those elements are that make a good passer? Where and how do you think Kyle performs better than Reinhart? I'm on the same path as you with regards to believing multiple areas affecting how good/bad a passer someone is. I want to see where you stand and what you see.

Saying someone has more assists than someone else doesn't make them a better passer. There are variables that go with accruing an assist, and I'll be honest, doing the Okposo vs Reinhart Primary assist videos, there were a couple where I didn't think they both deserved an assist. I think I'll do a secondary assist some other time.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Seeing how rejuvenated these players get after a few month break makes you realize as a society people should do the same and have more time spend away from the work grind. Imagine how much happier everyone would be if they got a month off straight every year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad