Confirmed with Link: Sam Montembeault Extended (2-Years @ $1M AAV)

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Signing borderline NHL players to these types of contracts is a good way of deterring other teams from claiming them on waivers. We saw similar last week where the guys on 2-way contracts were getting pretty high guaranteed AHL salaries. Only the richer teams can do this.
I would like Montreal to use this more in order to ice the very best AHL vets in Laval. Give them more money. An extra 100k is nothing for an NHL owner, but it makes all the difference in the world for athletes who won't make the NHL and need to decide between continuing their career in NA or Europe.

Same as having more scouts in order to not miss on talent. Having a rich team, in spite of the cap, should be a big advantage in a ton of other facets around the game.

Reactions: MrNasty

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Both goalies will require extensive PTSD therapy with the NHL's worst blueline in front of them. 3 rookies, Edmundson and two pilons in Savard/Mike Matheson. Hughes delivering hot garbage on a silver plate for the Bedard sweepstakes.
Some of the idiotic comments on here never cease to amaze me.

Matheson is far from being a pylon.
Dude probaby never seen him play and just sniffing around on the boards for negativity.Matheson is one the best skating defensemen in the NHL and was one of Pittsburgh best dmen last year

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
While I do believe that Price's return will fail, I don't think this signing means that they already know that he's done. It's just an insurance policy. Good move .

I think it's more an insurance. Making sure they have someone in place should things not go well with Price.

And with Allen in the final year of his contract, they could move him and know they have Monty this year and next year.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Some of the idiotic comments on here never cease to amaze me.

Dude probaby never seen him play and just sniffing around on the boards for negativity.Matheson is one the best skating defensemen in the NHL and was one of Pittsburgh best dmen last year

Ok bud, did you just watch the Marinaro hottake on Youtube and copy him word for word? lol. Classic. It's only ok to have an opinion on HF as long as it goes along with what you believe. Hope you are going to be ok, don't cry

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Please stop saying he's a bad goalie and he'll be good for the tank. The guy showed a lot of promise in the second half. He improved quite a bit and theyve locked him up when he should be coming into his prime. The guy is at least a good backup.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Goaltenders.
I saw keep them all until they are 26-27.....we never know with these guys

Dubnyk was 26 when he started being good in the NHL, the Habs had him playing in the AHL the year before
Binnington, Sorokin just to name a few.

Goaltenders are a different beast but many only get good only around 25-26-27......even the top prospect usually have a very hard time playing in the NHL before they reach 23-24.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Ok bud, did you just watch the Marinaro hottake on Youtube and copy him word for word? lol. Classic. It's only ok to have an opinion on HF as long as it goes along with what you believe. Hope you are going to be ok, don't cry
Check nuts before you step to these!

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Both goalies will require extensive PTSD therapy with the NHL's worst blueline in front of them. 3 rookies, Edmundson and two pilons in Savard/Mike Matheson. Hughes delivering hot garbage on a silver plate for the Bedard sweepstakes.

Mike Matheson is far from being a pylon.

Reactions: viceroy

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Pretty much confirms that Price is done
I really don’t think you can extrapolate Price being done with the signing of a 3rd string goalie to a $1M extension. They qualified him, which means they planned to offer him a contract. If they signed Samsonov, that would have been far more telling.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Didn't Sammy M play most of the season with an injured wrist?

I wish Price would just retire......He is of zero use to the franchise anymore.
While I agree with this I still want to give him the opportunity to salvage his career...that much he has earned for the great career he has had.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
and here comes - the #1 Goalie for Laval - the most expensive Goalie in the AHL

Who the frakk cares?

I doubt they have ever seen rubber or know what that even is lol.

Who the frick is gonna bareback a streetwalker?

You're just embarrassing yourself now bud. Just admit you don't know anything about the player, tuck your tail between your legs and quietly leave the thread.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Good for Monty, nice kid, great size, I still see a lot potential there.

I think the two years is designed to make the contract less attractive should he be waived and sent to Laval.
We could use Nick Racki….kudos to that pic!!!!!

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He's a very, very bad goalie but we're supposed to be a very, very bad team next year so it fits the bill. Wonder what's the deal with Price though. If he's good to play then Allen should be gone, otherwise we'll be over the cap. Unless we manage to put someone else on IR.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think it's a fine contract. Mostly because it's also a gift if he happens to go to Laval.

For the record, I'm not a hockey insider. Nor am I a Habs insider. I'm a Monty insider. And even that let just call it some great timing that I got the info. So..don't expect much more....lol

• Haha
Reactions: Sagikev

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Montembeault is interesting, because he'll make several spectacular, almost impossible looking saves, and then let something past him that most Pee Wee goaltenders would save. It's edge of the seat entertainment to be honest, and I don't recommend it if you're a Habs fan with heart troubles or high blood pressure issues, because it can be rage inducing. You'll never know what will happen though with Montembeault, and his consistency of being inconsistent is entertaining.

Reactions: donghabs98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad