Confirmed with Link: Sam Girard signs 7-year deal

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I honestly don't think G will earn this contract by points. I see around a 40 point ceiling (which is perfectly fine IMO) but where he earns that money will be with his ability to get out of the D zone and keeping the puck in the O zone. Basically plays that set up scoring chances but not necessarily result in points so much.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
An undervalued but vital aspect of the game. You also have to look at Giratd's age, prime years, anticipated cap growth, etc. Locking up that position for so long is, I hope, the smart move here.

Yep, sounds about right. I think Makar and Byram will more than make up for the points in a couple years, but G will still earn his contract and more IMO.

Reactions: MarkT and flyfysher

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
It's interesting that Sakic was willing to commit to Girard but not Barrie for what he would command on the open market.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's interesting that Sakic was willing to commit to Girard but not Barrie for what he would command on the open market.
If Barrie was above average defensively which Girard is, I think you couldn't let Barrie go. Above average defense while putting up 60 points is Norris caliber, but Barrie was just average or at times even below average defensively. Girard is not as good as Barrie offensively, but he's a much smarter defender

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Also after reading through these posts, it seems everyone is confident in G. I am personally hesitant but I respect the opinion of the longterm members of this community and am excited for whats to come.

Reactions: MacBradley

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For cgf it's almost never about the players we have, it's about the players we don't. That's how he rolls.

It’s my punishment for watching other teams play & learning that players who aren’t employed by the Avs exist.
You’d rather have all those dudes than Sam Girard if money were irrelevant?? Yikes

Nope, but the questions I’m actually answering have never stopped people from putting words in my mouth. So you do you.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is Makar immediately our best dman? Surely EJ or Girard have a leg up... right?

It's a pretty legit question. Sometimes I fear that we've placed Makar so high that he can only disappoint. I mean a whole lot of people no longer hope he'll become a #1 but assume he's already one.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's a pretty legit question. Sometimes I fear that we've placed Makar so high that he can only disappoint. I mean a whole lot of people no longer hope he'll become a #1 but assume he's already one.

I’m worried that we’re expecting too much too soon for Makar. Think he’ll be a great player for us but he’s expected to be the 1D out the gate next year which is pretty nuts.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wouldn't say Makar is a #1 d yet. To be #1 he has to play in every situation including PK. That's one thing I wonder if Bednar will have Makar doing is PK.

Reactions: Richard88

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Only way I can see this deal come back to hurt Avs in the long run is if he has big injury problems and that could happen to any player. If you pre-freak out about things like that you can never sign a long term deal.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
For those of you following this sort of stuff, is EJ the only Avs player who reacted on social media?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Even if he doesn't develop his offensive tools - which I think is far from the case at least in terms of generating assists - this contract will still look very good down the road. He already plays the defensive side of the game at least as a 4 million dollar player.

We should be happy though, Avs probably don't do this unless they learned from the Ryan O'Reilly fiasco. A sacrificial pawn piece was necessary for Sakic to learn.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IMO if Makar produces about 40 pts and Girard somewhere between 32-36 pts along with improving their D game as the season moves along I would consider that a successful season as far as those two are concerned.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
It's been the talk of the town arround here since yesterday afternoon. It's the headline of every news bulletin on TV and radio.
We heard from Samuel , his parents and is brother, non-stop.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If Barrie was above average defensively which Girard is, I think you couldn't let Barrie go. Above average defense while putting up 60 points is Norris caliber, but Barrie was just average or at times even below average defensively. Girard is not as good as Barrie offensively, but he's a much smarter defender

I really don’t understand about the ongoing love affair of Barrie.

Defensively he was average or below, but Girard/Makar/Timmins/Byram are far superior defensively which any or all of them could replace. Offensively, it might be unlikely they replace his production, but they don’t have to, if they provide some offence and prevent more goals, it would be a net positive.

Kadri. Completely ignored, but the reason for being traded. Cheaper player, comparable offence when playing 3C and provided exceptional defence. He also provides the 2C and toughness the AVs urgently needed. He alone with the longer contract is equivalent or better than Barrie. Adding Rosén opens a LHD option on the future with Zadorov. Smart move for now and the future.

AVs entering the season are better balanced throughout the lineup, but without Barrie’s $8M+ contract demands overshadowing the season.

ROR? Get over it...he wanted lots of money beyond his value at the time. AVs wanted to Bridge. The team was against the Cap, if they caved it would force moving a player, likely someone that was also seeking a big deal. The player negotiating at the time? Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad