Confirmed with Link: Sam Girard signs 7-year deal

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
You must not be paying attention, it's not like this is classified information, and there have been plenty of players who opted for a bridge deal so they could cash in later. The case study was P.K. Subban, who cashed in so well that a lot of clubs veered away from even offering "prove it" contracts as a result. Barrie is opting for a big payday on July 1, 2020, and this is consistent with how he's negotiated in the past. Don't know why you find that so hard to believe.
His 4 year deal wasn't the bridge deal it was his third contract. Up until recently that's when players usually get their first big payday. Avs likely lowballed him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
His 4 year deal wasn't the bridge deal it was his third contract. Up until recently that's when players usually get their first big payday. Avs likely lowballed him.

It took him right up to his first year of UFA. It was a bridge deal. IIRC that one was signed in the midst or immediately following Barrie's arbitration hearing. Whatever the case, this time Sam decided to sign long-term. Barrie was likely offered something similar and said no.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
girard.jpg
That's good right?

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Mikko sees this deal, Nate’s deal, Landy’s deal, maybe he takes a deal.
Avs seems to play hardball, if you don’t sign for what they want, smell ya later. Very interested to see what they do with Mikko

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Mikko sees this deal, Nate’s deal, Landy’s deal, maybe he takes a deal.
Avs seems to play hardball, if you don’t sign for what they want, smell ya later. Very interested to see what they do with Mikko

Clearly, there’s a super secret Bambi On Ice discount worked into the franchise guidelines. :sarcasm:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Our top line isn't known for being great defensively either.

It's capable of being pretty good though. Landy's great defensively, and I think Mikko is capable of being very good as well. He just hasn't focused on that area as much in the NHL. As he gets older, and he gets this bigger contract under his belt, I think he'll be able to focus more on defense.

I'd like to see Mikko engage more physically in the D zone to separate guys from the puck. He's got the size and reach to be a real handful defensively. I think his balance issues early on prevented him from doing this, and he had similar issues in the playoffs when he wasn't healthy.

If Nate ever really dedicates himself to being a good defensive player, it will be a big upgrade, but at the same time I'm kind of ok with him saving his energy for offense and his lightning quick transition game. It's just such a strength and so integral to the teams success, I'm not sure I want to tire him out in the D zone. Especially over the course of 82 games + playoffs with how much he battles in the O zone.

Reactions: MacBradley

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's capable of being pretty good though. Landy's great defensively, and I think Mikko is capable of being very good as well. He just hasn't focused on that area as much in the NHL. As he gets older, and he gets this bigger contract under his belt, I think he'll be able to focus more on defense.

I'd like to see Mikko engage more physically in the D zone to separate guys from the puck. He's got the size and reach to be a real handful defensively. I think his balance issues early on prevented him from doing this, and he had similar issues in the playoffs when he wasn't healthy.

If Nate ever really dedicates himself to being a good defensive player, it will be a big upgrade, but at the same time I'm kind of ok with him saving his energy for offense and his lightning quick transition game. It's just such a strength and so integral to the teams success, I'm not sure I want to tire him out in the D zone. Especially over the course of 82 games + playoffs with how much he battles in the O zone.

I feel like you can definitely tell when Nate is and isn’t trying in the D zone(and it’s usually situational). He’s solid defensively when he wants to be, and could be very good if he actually put some effort into it. But I get(and am totally fine) with him saving it for the quick strike transition.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I feel like you can definitely tell when Nate is and isn’t trying in the D zone(and it’s usually situational). He’s solid defensively when he wants to be, and could be very good if he actually put some effort into it. But I get(and am totally fine) with him saving it for the quick strike transition.

I'm betting the coaches talked to him about the blatant floating he was doing in the d-zone two seasons ago, he cleaned it up a fair bit last year. By no means am I expecting him to become a 200 ft. player (and really, not sure I even want him to be) but at least he's putting forth a bit more effort in the d-zone. The grand hope is that he won't even have to thus upcoming season. :thumbu:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm betting the coaches talked to him about the blatant floating he was doing in the d-zone two seasons ago, he cleaned it up a fair bit last year. By no means am I expecting him to become a 200 ft. player (and really, not sure I even want him to be) but at least he's putting forth a bit more effort in the d-zone. The grand hope is that he won't even have to thus upcoming season. :thumbu:

Yup. It’s pretty situational when he’s keyed in defensively, like at the end of games and stuff he’s way less floaty. And I don’t think many avs fans want him to become a defensive stud because his transition game is so good that we need to take advantage of it. Especially considering that Landy can make up for Mack’s defensive deficiencies.

Reactions: MacBradley

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yup. It’s pretty situational when he’s keyed in defensively, like at the end of games and stuff he’s way less floaty. And I don’t think many avs fans want him to become a defensive stud because his transition game is so good that we need to take advantage of it. Especially considering that Landy can make up for Mack’s defensive deficiencies.

The one guy I'd truly like to see improve his defensive game is Mikko. He's picked up some bad habits the last few seasons (not necessarily gonna pin that on MacKinnon though) and has made some lazy plays at the blue line (the one where Kevin Labanc whizzed right around him in the playoffs comes to mind...though I can't recall if that was near the end of a shift or not). Either way, he IS supposed to have some two-way play to his game, and some of that has gone away. I think he can make some better adjustments and still keep the offense intact.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well ****...let's hope Sammy doesn't die by hitting a canopy windshield this year because of mother****in' Iceman's (MacKinnon's) jetwash.

Girard has already had accidents like that multiple times. Plus giving Makar a nick name of a Tom Cruise character keeps up with the narrative that Makar is always believed to be smaller than he looks in his pictures.

Can't be coincidence that Maverick and Goose have the same initials as Makar and Girard.

Pure genius. I didn't even realize that.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
This is a really warped way to look at it, but fine, let's play this game with your conditions...

5M or Under:
Morgan Rielly
Josh Manson
John Klingberg
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm
Noah Hanifin
Brett Pesce
Josh Morrissey
Michael Mattheson
Shayne Ghostisbehere
Damon Severson
Travis Sanheim
Adam Larsson

6M or Under:
Seth Jones
Jacob Slavin
Hampus Lindholm
Colton Parayko
Dougie Hamilton
Shea Theodore
Jared Spurgeon
Esa Lindell
Matt Dumba
Nick Leddy
Nate Schmidt
Dmitri Orlov

...want me to keep going?
You’d rather have all those dudes than Sam Girard if money were irrelevant?? Yikes

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Would rather have Girard than :

Manson, Larsson, Severson, Leddy, Orlov, Pesce, Matheson and probably a few more, and the thing here is that it covers the next 8 years on a guy that's far from his prime yet, he's going to get better. And most of those deals were signed a while ago, they don't matter. Parayko would get 8M$ today, Slavin too. Jones likely gets 9, etc... No impact on what Girard is worth today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad