Confirmed with Link: Sam Girard signs 7-year deal

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I really don’t understand about the ongoing love affair of Barrie.

Defensively he was average or below, but Girard/Makar/Timmins/Byram are far superior defensively which any or all of them could replace. Offensively, it might be unlikely they replace his production, but they don’t have to, if they provide some offence and prevent more goals, it would be a net positive.

Kadri. Completely ignored, but the reason for being traded. Cheaper player, comparable offence when playing 3C and provided exceptional defence. He also provides the 2C and toughness the AVs urgently needed. He alone with the longer contract is equivalent or better than Barrie. Adding Rosén opens a LHD option on the future with Zadorov. Smart move for now and the future.

AVs entering the season are better balanced throughout the lineup, but without Barrie’s $8M+ contract demands overshadowing the season.

ROR? Get over it...he wanted lots of money beyond his value at the time. AVs wanted to Bridge. The team was against the Cap, if they caved it would force moving a player, likely someone that was also seeking a big deal. The player negotiating at the time? Barrie.
I think both Makar and Byram are capable of putting up 60 points per season someday, but even if they don't, between Makar, Byram and Girard, at minimum you're looking at a 110 point production.

Makar 40
Byram 40
Girard 30

That's more than enough production from the blueline. But again, maybe not Girard, but both Makar and Byram are capable of putting up 60 points each, specially Makar

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think both Makar and Byram are capable of putting up 60 points per season someday, but even if they don't, between Makar, Byram and Girard, at minimum you're looking at a 110 point production.

Makar 40
Byram 40
Girard 30

That's more than enough production from the blueline. But again, maybe not Girard, but both Makar and Byram are capable of putting up 60 points each, specially Makar

No such thing.

Reactions: MacBradley

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Screw the people saying that in a few years this will look like a steal; this is a steal NOW. If you would've told me that Girard would be making $5mil per year in the prime years of his career I would've laughed in your face. This guy is worth $5mil now, and he's going to be worth a lot more soon.

Great job by the front office.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No such thing.
Yeah but I didnt mention Timmins who is also capable of putting up offensive numbers, EJ for couple of more years is capable of at least 20 points.

110 points between Makar, Byram, Girard would not be a bad thing, and that's at very minimum. You'd expect Byram and Makar to put up more

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
This is a really warped way to look at it, but fine, let's play this game with your conditions...

5M or Under:
Morgan Rielly
Josh Manson
John Klingberg
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm
Noah Hanifin
Brett Pesce
Josh Morrissey
Michael Mattheson
Shayne Ghostisbehere
Damon Severson
Travis Sanheim
Adam Larsson

...want me to keep going?

Nice list. Some could argue whether some in there should really be considered better than Sam but lets go with it. A good proportion of the contracts on that list were signed years ago and therefore don't represent current market value. So that only leaves a few names out of the whole league who would be considered better signings than the contract Sam just signed.

I find it hard to say that it isn't a great contract when there are only a few isolated (recent) contracts out there that are viewed as better contracts for a similar or better defenseman.

Reactions: Foxtail

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
tenor.gif

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
"I'd be curious to see if you can name more than a dozen Dman in the whole league who will make less than $5M AAV in 2020-2021 (other than on ELC), that you would take on your team in 2020-2021 before Sam. And I bet half of those will be on old/expiring contracts."

That was the original question. If you call that moving the goal post, I will... politely call that a language misunderstanding???

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He's loved in Québec eh?

"Too small", "poor defensively", coming from a pretty poor family in a fairly remote area from the province (sorry @Frenchy ). People usually dig that kind of underdog stuff.

Plus he's a pretty likeable guy.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Makar 40
Byram 40
Girard 30

You should include the contributions of Kadri. He is the reason they traded Barrie, he would bring approx. 50 points every season which is about the same as Barrie.

I rather be conservative with the DMen. Team defence would be much better and more than enough to offset the benefits of Barrie and the bloated salary demands.

AVs are simply much better today without Barrie.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I don't think he should.

Kadri will replace Soda and should get similar production.

AVs are better balanced throughout the lineup and they rid themselves of the distraction of Barrie's Contract problems.

Kadri will offer greater production with more opportunity than with the Leafs. He is younger and faster. Soda was slowing down and evident during the playoffs. A season with Makar and Zadorov (show me contract), with the other additions, the future is much brighter.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You should include the contributions of Kadri. He is the reason they traded Barrie, he would bring approx. 50 points every season which is about the same as Barrie.

I rather be conservative with the DMen. Team defence would be much better and more than enough to offset the benefits of Barrie and the bloated salary demands.

This is true but I was just talking strictly offense from blueline, and between Makar, Byram and Girard, Avs will more than replace Barrie's production

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
$5m a year for a defensemen that hasn't touched 5g or 30 points yet is pretty rich in today's RFA defensemen market. They negotiated up a good chunk and the Avs gave in there. Obviously there is projection involved here and the Avs are expecting Theodore like jump.

Girard fits in just fine with his comparables.

Shea Theodore
Career High - 6 goals 29 points
Contract Signed as RFA in 2018 - $5.2M x 7

Sam Girard
Career High - 4 goals 27 points
Contract Signed 1 Year before RFA in 2019 - $5M x 7

Noah Hanifin
Career High - 10 goals 32 points
Contract Signed as RFA in 2018 - $4.95 x 6

Jakob Chychrun
Career High - 7 goals 20 points
Contract Signed as RFA in 2018 - $4.6M x 6

Reactions: SuperJoe and MarkT

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Girard fits in just fine with his comparables.

Shea Theodore
Career High - 6 goals 29 points
Contract Signed as RFA in 2018 - $5.2M x 7

Sam Girard
Career High - 4 goals 27 points
Contract Signed 1 Year before RFA in 2019 - $5M x 7

Noah Hanifin
Career High - 10 goals 32 points
Contract Signed as RFA in 2018 - $4.95 x 6

Jakob Chychrun
Career High - 7 goals 20 points
Contract Signed as RFA in 2018 - $4.6M x 6

Numbers Sakic smartly used were comparable salaries.

This is not the stupidity as some had previously discussed about Barrie % of cap to reset the market. Girard is a good deal for the AVs, but provides financial security for the player.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Numbers Sakic smartly used were comparable salaries.

This is not the stupidity as some had previously discussed about Barrie % of cap to reset the market. Girard is a good deal for the AVs, but provides financial security for the player.

% of the cap is what makes salary comparables...

Reactions: UncleRisto

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
AAV is a little high based on the player Samwise has been so far, but if he keeps developing well this gamble should pay off nicely in the later stages of this deal. Good move from Joe; this is the kind of player I have no qualms about giving term to.
Fixed...
AAV is LOW based on what Samwise has shown so far, but this will very rapidly be a STEAL unless he FALLS from a cliff... GREAT move from Joe; this is the kind of player I have no qualms about giving term to.

I'd be curious to see if you can name more than a dozen Dman in the whole league who will make less than $5M AAV in 2020-2021 (other than on ELC), that you would take on your team in 2020-2021 before Sam. And I bet half of those will be on old/expiring contracts.
This is a really warped way to look at it, but fine, let's play this game with your conditions...

5M or Under:
Morgan Rielly
Josh Manson
John Klingberg
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm
Noah Hanifin
Brett Pesce
Josh Morrissey
Michael Mattheson
Shayne Ghostisbehere
Damon Severson
Travis Sanheim
Adam Larsson

6M or Under:
Seth Jones
Jacob Slavin
Hampus Lindholm
Colton Parayko
Dougie Hamilton
Shea Theodore
Jared Spurgeon
Esa Lindell
Matt Dumba
Nick Leddy
Nate Schmidt
Dmitri Orlov

...want me to keep going?
Nice list. Some could argue whether some in there should really be considered better than Sam but lets go with it. A good proportion of the contracts on that list were signed years ago and therefore don't represent current market value. So that only leaves a few names out of the whole league who would be considered better signings than the contract Sam just signed.

I find it hard to say that it isn't a great contract when there are only a few isolated (recent) contracts out there that are viewed as better contracts for a similar or better defenseman.

...but it's ok, I'm just being a "hater" again :rolleyes:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The point of this deal isn't about whether he's worth 5m now, it's about what 5m is going to be worth against a rising cap as the deal gets older. 5m for a top 4 D is going to be a steal down the line as the cap rises, that deal will be a cornerstone of our cap management strategy in the post-MacK contract era.

Hater.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018

Fast forward a few years and let's say makar is scoring

So let's fast forward a few years when makar is due his first contract. He is at 60 points per season. Very good numbers imo. What will be a fair contract?Will you whine that his demands are too high? I think you'll see just how valuable Barrie was here.
Lot of people in here are banking on makar,byrum and Timmins to be all that. Wish it was so but it isn't gonna happen soon

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Girard’s play in the regular season and specifically in the playoffs when he was solid in his first full postseason experience suggests he is ready for this kind of workload.

“They consider him to be their best defender,” one longtime NHL executive based in the West said. “They play him against all the top players.”

But if Girard is as advertised, if he continues to blossom as a smart, puck-moving defenseman who can play on both sides of the puck, as he suggested he can with his play last season, then there is ample reason to believe that this team is on the cusp of something special. And by special we mean a trip as early as next spring to the Stanley Cup final.

One longtime NHL player and executive thinks that Girard is more than capable.

“He’s young, he can handle it,” he said. “They’re in it for the long haul. I think Joe and his crew have done an amazing job. Young, fast, exciting team. So fun to watch.”

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
This deal will make Girard tied for being 44th highest paid defenseman in the NHL (tied with Nik Hjalmarsson, Danny DeKeyser, and Morgan Reilly) the first season (2020-2021) his contract kicks in.

As the cap continue to rise, and Girard continues to progress, this deal is going to look like a bargain. For sake of future reference: Girard, who already looks like a borderline top pairing defenseman, didn't turn 21 until (5) days after the Avalanche were eliminated from the 2019 playoffs.

Reactions: Foxtail and Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad