Rumor: Sam Gagner to be loaned to the Marlies

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Did he have a really bad training camp? Two years ago he had a career high 50 points, and last year he had 31. 31 isn't great, but it was still good for 7th in scoring on Vancouver (and three of the people ahead of him in scoring have since left - the Sedins and Vanek).

I mean he definitely has his flaws, but I'm surprised they couldn't find a spot for him. What's their forward group? Something like this?

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Goldobin-Pettersson-Eriksson
Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-Granlund

He's unplayable at even strength.

If he was worth anything some team would have picked him up. Him taking a roster spot over a younger guy makes no sense. If he wants another contract he may have to do a pto first.

Also motte made the team. And they will call up Gaudette and Dahlen pretty soon which means someone has to come out. Gagner is an obvious choice.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Was he that bad last year that he doesn't get an NHL spot? Surely he is better than quite a few bottom 6 players?

He's a year removed from a 50 point season , perhaps someone has some insight?
Canucks going with 2 checking type lines given the guys they kept on line 3&4. Gagner didn’t land a spot in the top 2 lines so odd man out.

Gagner will likely be there this year and be bought out in 2019.

Reactions: King In Glory

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I'll always remember Gagner as the elite player comparable to the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Mario Lemieux, and Maurice Richard.
After years and years of hearing about how Mitch Marner, Willy Nylander and Auston Matthews are the next re-incarnation of Sam Gagner. We've got the real thing (almost)!! Hopefully he will be a good mentor for the kiddos.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Gagner, great guy, works hard, not a useful player for Vancouver.

Gagner has value on the PP and when playing with better players but is a liability at EV. He cannot drive offense so needs to be carried in the top 6 and is not a good fit as a bottom 6 player. He'd be great for depth for a team that can roll 4 balanced lines but is wasted with the team that Vancouver has.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Guy can’t even go to our farm team (which is pretty damn close to Toronto) to help our offensive wingers? Laaaaaaaame.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Gagner scored 50 points on Columbus’ 4th line.

There is no such thing as a player who has to be in a top-6 role.

This is just completely wrong lol. Anybody who has watched hockey should know this isn't true.

Are you actually telling me you've never seen a player who needs good players to produce and if they don't have good player to play with them they're utterly useless as they don't have anything to offer other?

I'm sorry but that's just completely wrong.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I'm surprised no-one has rolled out any "advanced" stats yet to defend their position, good or bad. Gagner is probably properly pigeon-holed as an offense-first player, and a valuable asset to Top6 and PP situations. Is he that much of a liability at ES though?

Some useful CorsiRel% and ZoneStarts stats...seems like Gagner has done quite well career-wise. He's certainly not a play-driving black hole.

upload_2018-10-2_17-12-36.png

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I'm surprised no-one has rolled out any "advanced" stats yet to defend their position, good or bad. Gagner is probably properly pigeon-holed as an offense-first player, and a valuable asset to Top6 and PP situations. Is he that much of a liability at ES though?

Some useful CorsiRel% and ZoneStarts stats...seems like Gagner has done quite well career-wise. He's certainly not a play-driving black hole.

View attachment 143543

Yep, even though he wasn't the greatest, he still had his best seasons in Edmonton at the top line. Wasn't a top quality producer, but he did good enough.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Yep, even though he wasn't the greatest, he still had his best seasons in Edmonton at the top line. Wasn't a top quality producer, but he did good enough.

I would say, his best years were wasted in Edmonton playing on the top lines with little to no useful assistance, starting right from his rookie year. And when he finally played on his first team with actual Top 10 team roster depth...Columbus in 2016-2017...he put up career best numbers in a greatly reduced role. But then he had to follow the $$. :-(

Too bad he is getting a bit too old to justify a Top 6/PP role. But Gagner can definitely help produce goals in the NHL, and is a great pick-up for any team with a role that suits him.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
This is just completely wrong lol. Anybody who has watched hockey should know this isn't true.

Are you actually telling me you've never seen a player who needs good players to produce and if they don't have good player to play with them they're utterly useless as they don't have anything to offer other?

I'm sorry but that's just completely wrong.

His whole point was that Gagner was successful playing in a teams bottom-6 before.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's unplayable at even strength.

If he was worth anything some team would have picked him up. Him taking a roster spot over a younger guy makes no sense. If he wants another contract he may have to do a pto first.

Also motte made the team. And they will call up Gaudette and Dahlen pretty soon which means someone has to come out. Gagner is an obvious choice.

His contract probably kept teams away, he's got another year after this one at $3.1. Players with term never get claimed on waivers.

Although in support of your point, seems no one wanted him at half either in a trade. Maybe because someone would only do it if they could off-load someone.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
His wife can just live with him in Utica anytime. It's like a one hour flight. He's getting paid 3 mil to play against Vancouver's farm team for a divisional rival .. where's the logic in that

If you have the choice you choose Toronto every single time.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dubas isn't playing when it comes to the Marlies, Ganger will destroy the AHL.

Now if Dubas would get Nylander signed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad