Rumor: Sam Gagner to be loaned to the Marlies

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So does Gagner actually play well enough or does he play like a guy that is semi-retired and ruin any chance of any club trading for him?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Sammy you outpriced yourself. Hard to turn down 2x what your worth though.

At 1.5m hes still an NHL player easily.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
So the Canucks are going to loan him to the Marlies? I didn't know teams could do that.
Happens more often with teams that carry three or more AHL goaltenders. Ex: Marlies loaned Kasimir Kaskisuo to the chicago wolves for all of last season.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would love to have Gagner for an entire season (hopefully longer) with the marlies

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Was he that bad last year that he doesn't get an NHL spot? Surely he is better than quite a few bottom 6 players?

He's a year removed from a 50 point season , perhaps someone has some insight?

He’s probably “better” than some of the Canucks bottom 6 players, but he’s not a better bottom 6 player.

That said, he for 3M+ a year, he needs to go and play in Utica... not one of Utica’s competitors.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I mean, He's not a great NHL player, but I believe he's still an NHL player.

Shame he signed that kind of contract. Thought he had a few more years left in the NHL.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I like this a lot.

Would love to see two young wingers like Bracco and Grundstrom strapped beside him. As much as people want to trash Gagner, he will be elite in the AHL and it won't hurt those two young wingers to play with an NHL level centre.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Did he have a really bad training camp? Two years ago he had a career high 50 points, and last year he had 31. 31 isn't great, but it was still good for 7th in scoring on Vancouver (and three of the people ahead of him in scoring have since left - the Sedins and Vanek).

I mean he definitely has his flaws, but I'm surprised they couldn't find a spot for him. What's their forward group? Something like this?

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Goldobin-Pettersson-Eriksson
Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-Granlund

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
And to think, this guy went 6th overall just ahead of Voracek; a player in his prime coming off an 85 pt season.

Gagner is #8 overall in points scored from his draft year and selected #6? He's fine...if anything, the relative lack of impact of his career mostly reminds me what a dumpster fire Edmonton was for so many years...

upload_2018-10-2_15-46-34.png

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad