Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
It's impressive how far he's come because he's never been that good, even in juniors. Hell of a guy, hell of a commitment. To be the farce of a disaster season (the one after the cup finals) and to become legit. When Petry completely abandonned him when he got nailed I thought he was going to check out but he kept right on. Love him since that day.

You feel the guys in front of him having all the confidence in the world in him by the way they play, contrary to a game played by Primeau when the D's all become G's and basically play in the blue paint....

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm the only one when I watch Montembeault play, I see Jean-Sebastien

Giguere was a great shot blocker, but I don't really remember him known for his lateral movement.

Montembeault seems to have better movement than giguere, but it's hard to compare goalies from these two eras. The giguere era equipment made it easier to stop pucks without them leaking through you.

I'm pretty comfortable with Monty in net, but the question I have is whether he can handle a larger workload, and that's probably an answer we won't get as long as the 3 goalie system is in place.

Reactions: windycity

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
his technical progression has been very impressive - he was pretty sloppy when he got here. i thought we had a slightly better Mike Condon/Andrew Hammond. he's looking like Dubnyk during the Minnesota years.

I think Monty was playing through something that first season, and he ended up getting surgery in the off season.

If the Habs had other options, perhaps he would have been shut down earlier but I think the Habs had multiple other injuries in goal at the time.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

lol! And some people here were “meh” about the contract.

Giguere was a great shot blocker, but I don't really remember him known for his lateral movement.

Montembeault seems to have better movement than giguere, but it's hard to compare goalies from these two eras. The giguere era equipment made it easier to stop pucks without them leaking through you.

I'm pretty comfortable with Monty in net, but the question I have is whether he can handle a larger workload, and that's probably an answer we won't get as long as the 3 goalie system is in place.

In this day and age, workload won’t be as big a deal. I’m interested in seeing how his numbers will be as the team improves. He’s been playing on some very bad versions of this team.

Reactions: windycity

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

In this day and age, workload won’t be as big a deal. I’m interested in seeing how his numbers will be as the team improves. He’s been playing on some very bad versions of this team.

I think it does still matter in the context of the playoffs. Teams still typically ride one goalie in the post season and you want to see how your chosen goalie can respond to that workload.

Reactions: schwang26

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
His contract starts next season, this year his salary is 1M IIRC. Obviously the goalies on cheap contracts will be at the top of that ranking.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
His contract starts next season, this year his salary is 1M IIRC. Obviously the goalies on cheap contracts will be at the top of that ranking.

The way I read it is that he’s a bargain per save.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Montambeault and Slafkovsky seem to be the kind of players the Habs want to being to the team : willing to learn and work.

In Montambeault's case its what made me believe in him after his very first pre season game with us. The way he spoke during the PC after the game, he was super enlightened about what he needed to work on.

I'm so glad to see him succeed right now, he truly has a great attitude.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Another strong outing! if he and Primeau maintain this level of solid goalkeeping, they will make a formidable and tandem.

Reactions: 1909 and Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'll happily admit I was wrong about this guy. He's no prime Price, but he's a solid #1 at this point in time.
The worlds did wonders for him like some of us expected it would. I wonder how much he talked a mile a minute about it with the boys? :laugh:
More are showing an interest this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad