Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

ReadyWealthyJackrabbit-size_restricted.gif

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I see some positive comments about him recently what's up? He's good now? If so...good for him it's not easy being a goaltender especially in front of such a horrible team.

Reactions: Dutronc and Gravity

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Not Price level, not even sure he's Allen level, but he's playing much better that's for sure!

Must be hard for some of those 2nd and 3rd goalies to sit all the time, he may just have needed to play more regularly... Interesting to see how he does from now to the end of the season.

Last edited:

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Consistency is key in order for a goaltender to gain the "starter" status. So we can't be the judge of that just yet.

If Monty could somehow get (much) better at rebound control while somehow staying consistent (this is circular logic, as rebound control might bring him consistency), he could definitely become a NHL starter in my opinion.

He is big in net, plays the angles real well. A prototypical "modern" goaltender.

But his best quality is his compete level. That bum just doesn't quit. You can't teach that.

I think it would be worth it to put some effort into grooming him, who know, it might pay off.

TheYardMachine

Nice guy. Tries hard. Loves the game.
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2018
Do you think the habs will keep montembeault at the end of the year as a 3rd string goalie or even a backup soneday?

Reactions: Dutronc

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Starting to believe he can become a key player. Good for him

FWIW, the Undertaker is a 3rd round pick from 2015, not a 7th rounder like Primeau was in 2017. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Tyson

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Do you think the habs will keep montembeault at the end of the year as a 3rd string goalie or even a backup soneday?

He’s still RFA, so chances is they will make him a qualifying offer to retain his rights.

From there, the goal is probably to have Primeau play full time in the AHL. McNiven will probably be gone after his comments earlier this year.

There is no need to bring Dichow, Dobes or Vrbetic, let them play games in their respective leagues to gain confidence and consistency.

Price and Allen should be back (unless Allen is traded), so Montembeault probably ends as back up in the AHL or on the taxi squad (if there is one, if not he might get claimed somewhere).

I like the fact that he’s a fighter, but he isn’t an NHL goalie. His stats since he made the jump are not good.

He’s just a stop gap, and even if Allen or Price are gone, which will likely happen, you can find better back up on the free agency.

Reactions: TheYardMachine

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If only Sam talked like dikembe, and waved his finger everytime he saved the puck.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He’s still RFA, so chances is they will make him a qualifying offer to retain his rights.

From there, the goal is probably to have Primeau play full time in the AHL. McNiven will probably be gone after his comments earlier this year.

There is no need to bring Dichow, Dobes or Vrbetic, let them play games in their respective leagues to gain confidence and consistency.

Price and Allen should be back (unless Allen is traded), so Montembeault probably ends as back up in the AHL or on the taxi squad (if there is one, if not he might get claimed somewhere).

I like the fact that he’s a fighter, but he isn’t an NHL goalie. His stats since he made the jump are not good.

He’s just a stop gap, and even if Allen or Price are gone, which will likely happen, you can find better back up on the free agency.

I think if Price comes back next year Allen should be traded and Montembault should second Price.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If we trade Petry to Dallas, maybe we could take back Khubodin's contract to increase our return as he's $2.2M of dead cap for them right now.

I think Allen would be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh, Jarry is their #1 but struggled in the playoffs last year so Allen could be a solid option to back him up given Pittsburgh is in a win now mode.

End the year with Khudobin/Montembeault in net with Primeau in Laval, then next year have Khudobin or Montembeault backup Primeau in Laval assuming Price is back.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
worse than Thibault, Racicot and Huet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad