Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
One of the issues with the three goalie system is that you can't assess anyone properly because you don't end up giving the ball to anyone to see how they run with it.

Goalies are hard enough to figure out on a year to year basis, let alone a random start basis in the same year.

I'm sure all three guys are good teammates, but deep down, I'd also bet they are all pissed off at this situation.

So the three goalie system doesn't help anybody involved. If the Habs are struggling to figure out which road to take.... Time is up. It's time to come to a decision, and then you can get back to trying to get a more reasonable assessment on what you have in net, and go from there.
3-goalie system is without a doubt helping the team, which is reliant on G performing at or above expectations to achieve success

Allen’s historical trend has shown a borderline elite G when limited to fewer than 36GP, this 3G system allows for such a scenario.

Now add to it competition factor: Montembeault
playing for UFA contract and Primeau for an NHL permanent gig

This was a very smart calculated move by HuGo to both avoid losing an asset for nothing to show via waivers, and potentially maximize return to the team with on ice performance at present and via acquisition return as deadline approaches

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
He was 2 W 14 L at some point that first year lol... and he had become one of my favorite habs during it

Like others have said, it's his ability to get over quick or bad goals AND his ability to battle until the end of games
Just really like the guy, hope he stays a bit longer

(4 million is a bit much tho..)
I have no idea about the ''worth'' Some players imo are way over-payed for what they bring and then many are underpaid.

Reactions: Redux91

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He was 2 W 14 L at some point that first year lol... and he had become one of my favorite habs during it

Like others have said, it's his ability to get over quick or bad goals AND his ability to battle until the end of games
Just really like the guy, hope he stays a bit longer

(4 million is a bit much tho..)
For a starter in the nhl? Plus with the cap going up? I disagree.

Reactions: Tyson

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
He might not be our goalie of the future but he surely is a solid stopgap while we’re rebuilding and improving

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I still can’t get over the fact that he has the best stats for a goalie 5v5 in the NHL. Imagine if they can kill penalties. So we kind of have one of the best goalies in the league? I’m scared to see his stats when killing penalties lol

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I still can’t get over the fact that he has the best stats for a goalie 5v5 in the NHL. Imagine if they can kill penalties. So we kind of have one of the best goalies in the league? I’m scared to see his stats when killing penalties lol
Habs are currently 9th in the league for goals against (as in 9th team with the less goals against) at 5v5, it's not just Monty since he only played 14 of the 30 games. It's more that the totally disorganized man-to-man defense is somewhat working...

Habs are dead last for PK goal allowed, 2nd last for PP goals against and bottom 5 for any other situations that isn't 5v5...so yeah, don't look at those stats.

Reactions: 1909 and StCaufield

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not advocating trading Monty but curious what people think his trade value is?

Goalies typically don't provide the greatest returns on the market, but like I said in another thread, the market fluctuates based on supply and demand, so the answer is going to be different each year.

It would also be highly unorthodox to trade a guy in the same year that they signed him to a contract extension.

Montembeault is here to stay for the next little while at least.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Goalies typically don't provide the greatest returns on the market, but like I said in another thread, the market fluctuates based on supply and demand, so the answer is going to be different each year.

It would also be highly unorthodox to trade a guy in the same year that they signed him to a contract extension.

Montembeault is here to stay for the next little while at least.
Oh for or sure and I like Monty and am fine with it. Just curious as to what people think of his market value

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Oh for or sure and I like Monty and am fine with it. Just curious as to what people think of his market value

It's a good question, but historically, I just remember feeling underwhelmed from the return that goalies would typically provide.

A team like Edmonton maybe would be willing to pay more for a guy like Monty than perhaps another team looking to shore up their goaltending with less urgency.

But we are dealing with hypothetical at this point rather than reality.

Reactions: windycity

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
But HF told me last year that it was impossible that he was doing this, this year, and that he'd come back down to earth....confused!
Lots of HF told me the opposite too. There’s a lot of varying opinions here if you care to read them and you won’t be as confused. :thumbu:

Reactions: Redux91

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
But HF told me last year that it was impossible that he was doing this, this year, and that he'd come back down to earth....confused!
I remember finding him really athletic and a bit raw, which seems like something you can work on and get better (a technically maxed out short-legged 5’10 goalie with no glove being the opposite). Team seems confident in front of him too, I hope he sticks around I like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad