Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Am I wrong? What fan base is jealous of the 2021 Penguins?

Tons of fans from Boston and Carolina think we are going to plug and play Heinen and McGinn to great success.

Plenty of fans complain every year that we get guys like R Zohorna that come up and immediately have an impact.

Take a look around and talk to other teams fan bases about how they feel about the Pens instead of sitting, eating Cheetos and complaining about your team regardless of what they do.

Reactions: Peat

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Last year our bottom six was supposedly this..

McCann 2.9 - Jankowski 750 - Sceviour 1.9
ZAR 1.1 - Blueger 750 - Tanev 3.5

10.9 Mil

This is our bottom six supposedly this year.

McGinn 2.75 - Blueger 2.2 - Rodrigues 1
ZAR 1.5-2 - Heinen 1.1 - Lafferty 750k

9.8 Mil

What is the god damn difference? And we are saving money by icing what we are this year.

Putting it that way the lineup looks better.

If Lafferty/Blueger can take another step it is.

Im not thrilled with our line-up either and think theres some big questions marks on D/Goaltending etc but I understand the reality of the situation and its not like we had options lined up to bring in.

If POJ, Poulin, Hallander or one of the young guys can step up thats great.....although I think its a reach to bank on it

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

10.9 Mil

9.8 Mil

What is the god damn difference? And we are saving money by icing what we are this year.
Well, we finished the season with this bottom six:

McCann Carter Guardreau
ZAR Blueger Tanev

Anyone with their head not in the sand knew JR’s off season was a disaster and our bottom six was garbage beginning the season. I’m not sure why we can’t see it again.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yes, they do, and I've told you this before and provided precedent.

We have Guentzel, Rust, Kapanen, a 2022 1st, Poulin, Marino, etc. None of these assets should be off the table to change the dynamic of this team.

I think what you "want" and your calculations on how to get there needs a little calibrating.

I don't see how sending out any one of Guentzel, Rust, or Kapanen gets a return that makes us a better team. You'd have to suggest actual trades for us to judge, not just the meme of "trade them for a better them".

Specifically, what dynamic do you want changed? I mean, I get that everyone wants change...except all those times people hated change when JR was in charge...so I'm never quite sure what people actually want. Listing those players you did, you are either advocating for a Neal for Horny or Perron for Hagelin swap...but for every one of those you run the risk of the Hagelin for Pearson. The others on the list would be in the mold of the Brassard or Zucker trade...which everyone here, including yourself, don't seem to like even though at the time, both brought (to the letter) exactly what we "wanted".

So again, I'm a little unsure of what you want change?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I disagree. I honestly see a bunch of people who ripped McCann all season suddenly acting like he drove our offense in the bottom six which is just complete bullshit.

I mentioned yesterday he scored 7 of his goals last year on a hot powerplay where he basically became a focal point with Geno's injury. The Pens switched it up and were running a different set up and McCann was the benefiter. Teams were getting a new look because prior the PP was turd level.

I believe he scored some goals with Geno and Kap a few games. Which your gonna get some when eating with those guys. Again, you still gotta put the puck in the net and I credit him for that. He was going to be a casuality in the expansion anyway so its nice to clear space and got something back for him.

I liked McCann but to act like he was some offensive force ready to break out and thrash the league is a little much. He could shoot

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Tons of fans from Boston and Carolina think we are going to plug and play Heinen and McGinn to great success.
200w.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

10.9 Mil

9.8 Mil

Sceviour was $1.2, so it's 10.2 vs 9.8, but your point stands. People here "want their cake and eat it too". If you posted a lineup that had Zucker in bottom 6, people would bitch about having a $5.5mil guy in the bottom 6. At the same time, they will bitch about the bottom 6 not being effective enough to take the burden off of the top 6.

I'm still not sure what signing we could have made that would have been realistic that makes us a better team. I mean, say we dumped Zucker. Okay, $5.5 mil in space, who do we get? Saad, Danualt, or Hoffman? Are we really that much better off is it that we just don't like Zucker?

Let's say it was Pettersson that went out. $4mil in space. We sign Saad at $4.5 mil (just ignoring the 4yr deal and the NMC, yesh). People would be bitching about how it's not a good use of cap space to have a $5.5mil guy on the 3rd line. So there's really no winning.

I think we bolstered the positions that needed it. I like McGinn was a pretty safe move that replaces what we lost in Tanev. McCann can be replaced in the aggregate or by the next man up.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well, we finished the season with this bottom six:

McCann Carter Guardreau
ZAR Blueger Tanev

Anyone with their head not in the sand knew JR’s off season was a disaster and our bottom six was garbage beginning the season. I’m not sure why we can’t see it again.

Well, no shit. We will make more moves if we are competitive and management is happy with the results.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Right? If we're not going to play him, just trade him, bring up POJ for spot duty. :laugh:

Riikola isn't the only case of GMJR signing a player that HCMS doesn't like, but it sure is one of the dumbest.
And it's not even like a jack Johnson Sully pining situation either. Riikola has been more good than bad and the bad can be chalked up to inactivity from the big club and the ahl. I just want to see him get a chance somewhere. Same for Bellerive at this point as well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sceviour was $1.2, so it's 10.2 vs 9.8, but your point stands. People here "want their cake and eat it too". If you posted a lineup that had Zucker in bottom 6, people would bitch about having a $5.5mil guy in the bottom 6. At the same time, they will bitch about the bottom 6 not being effective enough to take the burden off of the top 6.

I'm still not sure what signing we could have made that would have been realistic that makes us a better team. I mean, say we dumped Zucker. Okay, $5.5 mil in space, who do we get? Saad, Danualt, or Hoffman? Are we really that much better off is it that we just don't like Zucker?

Let's say it was Pettersson that went out. $4mil in space. We sign Saad at $4.5 mil (just ignoring the 4yr deal and the NMC, yesh). People would be bitching about how it's not a good use of cap space to have a $5.5mil guy on the 3rd line. So there's really no winning.

I think we bolstered the positions that needed it. I like McGinn was a pretty safe move that replaces what we lost in Tanev. McCann can be replaced in the aggregate or by the next man up.

I also high balled ZAR into making 2 million. I don't see him making that much, I guess we will see.

Regardless, Janko and Sceviour's production the previous year compared to what Heinen and Rodrigues brought the previous year is much more excitable for me. I don't think we need to count on Heinen and Rodrigues being "bounce back" candidates.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Here's our bottom six comparatively production wise

The year previous to last year this is what we were looking at.

McCann .53 PPG - Jankowski .13PPG - Sceviour .23 PPG
ZAR .23 PPG - Blueger .32 PPG - Tanev .37 PPG

This is our bottom six supposedly this year based on what they did last year.

McGinn .29 PPG - Blueger .51 PPG - Rodrigues .4 PPG
ZAR .33 PPG - Heinen .33 PPG - Lafferty .18 PPG

We are paying less for a better bottom six. Everyone is an idiot for criticizing these moves.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hextall also knows he has 36 million in cap space next year to work with. Letang and Malkin will be either extended or left to test the market and see thier value. I am pretty sure both will be extended but the terms have to be on the teams terms. Even at say 15 million, Kap needs to be signed, A replacement for Rust and JC and by then Jarry is the guy or he is not. But at least Hextall will have some cap room to work with. But some of the WB players will be here like Poulin, Legare, DOC, Bjorkqvist, POJ, Hallander to bring cheap costs and fill roster spots.
If Malkin decides to retire we would have a ton of money to throw at Barkov.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You can't roll into the regular season without allocating some money to your bottom six. It is simply bad logic.

What other team that is attempting to make the playoffs is not investing money in their bottom six?

Swapping McGinn for Gaudreau wouldn't be the difference between us making the playoffs or not.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I always think it is funny..

Who will replace Kessel!!?!?! He's the best factor in our offense!!!! Rust puts up 56 pts in 55 games.

Hornqvist is the true key to our power play!!!! This team just traded him for nothing and the worst contract in the league!@!@! Matheson comes in and suddenly our defense is back to scoring tons of goals, power play performs better than it has for years.

McCann and Tanev have been replaced with trash!@?@?@ They significantly dropped off their bottom six and over paid for it !!!!$%$%$ SLeeePPYYYYY

Cue Blueger, Heinen, and McGinn putting up the same numbers those two did last year and some rando coming out of nowhere to put up a huge season with us because it is simply what this organization does.

Over the last few seasons we've consistently retooled the pieces that were falling off or no longer useful to us. We will continue to do that, because we are one of the best ran orgs in terms of talent evaluation in the league and multiple teams are jealous of us for that.

Thinking that Rust replaced Kessel already shows how flawed the logic here is. He didn't, by a long shot.

That's why we keep flaming out in the 1st round. Playoff teams are not jealous of that.

Reactions: Pens x

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think what you "want" and your calculations on how to get there needs a little calibrating.

I don't see how sending out any one of Guentzel, Rust, or Kapanen gets a return that makes us a better team. You'd have to suggest actual trades for us to judge, not just the meme of "trade them for a better them".

Specifically, what dynamic do you want changed? I mean, I get that everyone wants change...except all those times people hated change when JR was in charge...so I'm never quite sure what people actually want. Listing those players you did, you are either advocating for a Neal for Horny or Perron for Hagelin swap...but for every one of those you run the risk of the Hagelin for Pearson. The others on the list would be in the mold of the Brassard or Zucker trade...which everyone here, including yourself, don't seem to like even though at the time, both brought (to the letter) exactly what we "wanted".

So again, I'm a little unsure of what you want change?

We need size, skill, and the sort of physical play that actually takes a toll on the opposition.

I'm open to any deal that adds those components. Any trade has risks, but there's a greater risk of staying content with easy 1st round exits.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Our fan base is extremely jealous of the Penguins over the last 3 or 4 years.
-No one

Wow, Ron Hextall had a really good off season.
-No fans from the other 31 teams

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well, no shit. We will make more moves if we are competitive and management is happy with the results.
So our bottom six is okay now because it was also horrendous at the beginning of last season?
1eja.gif

Maybe dont start the season with a crappy bottom six? So you want the guy that hates to trade draft picks and prospects to have to trade picks or prospects to fix the bottom six mid season instead of now? Oh also, he needs to find a starting goalie too.

Fast forward to next year. I’m sure glad Hextall didn’t pay those prices at the deadline! Jarry will be fine - he was an all star 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad