Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wonder if Tampa's top 6, blueline, and goaltending is about on par with ours.

But, the money we are spending on our bottom six does not add up to a Kucherov, Hedman or Vasi.

So this point makes no sense. You can’t acquire these players in trade and if they are being moved the cap difference we need to add will easily be made available.

Also not being as close to the cap as possible significantly handicaps us this year because of Malkin being LTIR’d.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
To add, the Penguins also got what looks like a downright elite goalie prospect in Lindberg to sign on day 1 of free agency as well. I don't want to hype him up that much, but you don't put up those kind of numbers in the NCAA without being a legit goalie. I can't think of a goalie who put up those kind of numbers only to not pan out in the pros.

Hell, even go back to his junior days and his numbers are still great. I genuinely have no clue how this guy was only drafted as a 7th rounder at age 20. I don't want to get too excited about a prospect, but I just genuinely don't understand it. He was putting up around a .930 save% in the Finnish U18 league for 2 years and a .925 in the Finnish U20 league for one year, and then came over to North America and put up a .935 in the NCAA for one year. Only then he was drafted.

Lindberg is not an elite prospect. He only looks good because what they had in WBS last season was complete crap. And the other prospects are developing far away in Clang and Blomqvist.

There have been a plethora of goalies who have played in the NCAA that have put up similar stats and have never been heard from again.

Look, I am really excited they were able to sign him but we, as a fan base, really need to slow our roll with him.

Reactions: enviSAGE

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
The team clearly wasn't good enough last year and has only gotten worse.

What exactly did you expect?

We are only a few days into the offseason. What did you expect?

If all you whiners were talking about this a week before the season starting I’d be in your corner but you guys are acting like this is NHL 21 and Hextall was left with a ton of valuable assets and cap space to maneuver from and he can wheel and deal into anything overnight.

So many people look so immature living in fantasy land instead of reality expecting Hextall to turn shit into gold overnight. Like I said, the team looks like this to start the season I’ll be there with you guys.

Reactions: Night Shift

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I said from day 1 just please don’t hire Hextall. Going for one extreme to the other wouldn’t work out either.

088LEy.gif

Reactions: Night Shift

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lindberg is not an elite prospect. He only looks good because what they had in WBS last season was complete crap. And the other prospects are developing far away in Clang and Blomqvist.

There have been a plethora of goalies who have played in the NCAA that have put up similar stats and have never been heard from again.

Look, I am really excited they were able to sign him but we, as a fan base, really need to slow our roll with him.

Last three years:

018-19Finland U20 (all)International-Jr 4-0.925|
Finland U20WJC-20 1-1.000|
UMass (Amherst)NCAA 171.600.934|
2019-20UMass (Amherst)NCAA 181.910.927|
2020-21UMass (Amherst)NCAA 151.240.949|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Call him what you want, those are good numbers. I'll take him for free.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the Pens are better. They are less flashy but are more balanced and structurally sound. McGinn and Heinen will make their PK vastly better and it was an absolute disaster. The Pens were losing a good player in the expansion draft and maneuvered a way to get out of the cap and work to fix one of their bigger weaknesses. Looks like a win to me.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Bruins have added some solid depth. They've done a pretty damn good job this off season I think.

Seattle is so badly managed and I knew it'd happen with Botts and Francis. It's f***ing hilarious :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: here wanted Botterill as the GM replacement.
Boston can add all the depth they want but they just lost Krejci. They are taking a step back this year.

Seattle perplexes me because they had the opportunity to become another perennial contender right out of the gate. They had the same ED rules as Vegas, and they had the rest of the league by the balls when it comes to cap space. So many missed opportunities to take on side deals for 2nd round picks. Like, in the Vegas ED Vegas would have been given a 2nd to skip Domi and take Bayruther. With how cap strapped teams were, some of them would have offered a 2nd to take Domi instead. But Seattle punted and decided to build the old school way. What a waste.

Last edited:

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Petterson+Jarry for Fleury and a Prospect or pick would be a cap savings of 525,175 for the Pens. Why is Petterson's cap hit so weird anyway?

It looks like Chicago is boned if Fleury won't report, so we could probably squeeze a good piece out of them with this trade. The problem is that I don't think Chicago needs a #2 LD.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the Pens are better. They are less flashy but are more balanced and structurally sound. McGinn and Heinen will make their PK vastly better and it was an absolute disaster. The Pens were losing a good player in the expansion draft and maneuvered a way to get out of the cap and work to fix one of their bigger weaknesses. Looks like a win to me.

That's one way to look at it. We sacrificed some production from our bottom 6 but we were 2nd in goal scoring in the league. Meanwhile we were 27th in Penalty Killing. Hopefully the production sacrifice will help the PK get better.

Reactions: Rave7215

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Good point. Fit is often the most important thing.

Plus we didn't lose any picks and added Hallander and a 7th to the cupboard.

Another way to look at it.
Traded McCann and a first for Kapanen and a 7th, instead of losing him to expansion.
Lost Tanev and replaced with McGinn, saving $750k.
Lost Ceci as a cap casualty. Added Fedun to battle for spot with Friedman et al. Saved $500k from '20-21.
Added Heinen.
Added a very good goalie prospect in Lindberg.

I'm having a hard time not liking Hex so far. Now we can be opportunistic addressing other issues.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Wake up to see the last physical guy, Ritchie, signed with the Leafs. Hey at least we wasted $3 million on scrubs like Erod, Simon, heinen, etc.

Last year, I had little interest in watching this team. I put on a game against the Caps, and in about 5 minutes I saw 3 or 4 Pens sprawled out on the ice after getting destroyed. I turned the game off and didn't watch another till the playoffs, where I saw the same exact thing. Next season I won't even waste those 5 minutes of my life. Thanks Mario and Hex. The softest team in the history of the league gets even softer? lol. f***ing clowns

Reactions: lastcupever75

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Good point. Fit is often the most important thing.

Plus we didn't lose any picks and added Hallander and a 7th to the cupboard.

Another way to look at it.
Traded McCann and a first for Kapanen and a 7th, instead of losing him to expansion.
Lost Tanev and replaced with McGinn, saving $750k.
Lost Ceci as a cap casualty. Added Fedun to battle for spot with Friedman et al. Saved $500k from '20-21.
Added Heinen.
Added a very good goalie prospect in Lindberg.

I'm having a hard time not liking Hex so far. Now we can be opportunistic addressing other issues.

This team had 2 glaring issues when the offseason started: size and goaltending. Hextall amazingly managed to get us even smaller and softer, and did jack to address goaltending. You guys are absolutely crazy for praising Hextall and co for bringing in a few 6th line forwards. lol

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Wake up to see the last physical guy, Ritchie, signed with the Leafs. Hey at least we wasted $3 million on scrubs like Erod, Simon, heinen, etc.

Last year, I had little interest in watching this team. I put on a game against the Caps, and in about 5 minutes I saw 3 or 4 Pens sprawled out on the ice after getting destroyed. I turned the game off and didn't watch another till the playoffs, where I saw the same exact thing. Next season I won't even waste those 5 minutes of my life. Thanks Mario and Hex. The softest team in the history of the league gets even softer? lol. f***ing clowns

Will you still grace us with your fine posting whilst not even wasting 5 minutes of your life on the team?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

Because Ritchie has been dying to come here.

He was already in talks with Toronto prior.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Will you still grace us with your fine posting whilst not even wasting 5 minutes of your life on the team?

Doubtful, cause I can do it all right now. Save this post and look at it at any point this season:

Ho hum, another Pen gets injured due to physical play and/or cheap shotted

(If the Pens make the playoffs), oh well, the perimeter Pens get embarrassed again, largely due to a bigger team physically dominating them

The goaltending is a joke, glad we did nothing to address it. But hey, Jarry snuck into the all star game a few years ago

(This time next year), Hextall and co will babble about upgrading goaltending and adding grit. They'll sign Connor Sheary and Chris Connor. HF posters will cream because some stupid analytics will show how awesome these signings will make us

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
He'll be here posting after every loss bitching about whatever but no where to be found when we win.

Nah, if we ever win a playoff series again I'll be here. But I'm certainly not going to orgasm over a December win in Ottawa like you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad