Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Doubtful, cause I can do it all right now. Save this post and look at it at any point this season:

Ho hum, another Pen gets injured due to physical play and/or cheap shotted

(If the Pens make the playoffs), oh well, the perimeter Pens get embarrassed again, largely due to a bigger team physically dominating them

The goaltending is a joke, glad we did nothing to address it. But hey, Jarry snuck into the all star game a few years ago

(This time next year), Hextall and co will babble about upgrading goaltending and adding grit. They'll sign Connor Sheary and Chris Connor. HF posters will cream because some stupid analytics will show how awesome these signings will make us

366wVO.gif

Reactions: Night Shift

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You know the answer.

But why complain about the bottom 6 then when it's not the problem, unless you think it's radically inferior to Tampa's? Like, I know you're unhappy that we're spending money on it that could be spent on the top 6, but it's not like we're cheaping out on our top 6 or spending some insane amount on our bottom 6.

Unless you think we should be constructing a bottom 6 that can cover for the playoff misfires we've seen from Crosby and Malkin, but I think you know that's impossible.

Yep. The point is that when a team like Tampa is as good as it is elsewhere, they can afford to have a bottom 6 that isn't better than ours.

We should be constructing a more diverse and cohesive team pretty much across the board. If our top 6 were at least cohesive it'd be one thing, but it isn't.

That's not good enough. There's a limited number of those types of players available. Every available player like that, people balk at here. So no, if you're going to complain to the extent that you are, you can at least propose something...ANYTHING...of what you believe could actually be done. And retreating into something like "Durrr...we can't cuz JR n stuff" is low IQ shit.

I'm not sure who you're referring to here.

I'm saying that I don't like dipping back into retreads like Simon and Rodrigues, and I don't like paying multi-million dollar multi-year deals to bottom 6 wingers who don't help us on any of the size, physicality, or skill fronts when we have precious little cap space to work with, and a lot of work to do in other areas.

Pretty clear. If you can be bothered to check my posting history, it doesn't take long to figure out that I have proposed things.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Boston can add all the depth they want but they just lost Krejci. They are taking a step back this year.

Seattle perplexes me because they had the opportunity to become another perennial contender right out of the gate. They had the same ED rules as Vegas, and they had the rest of the league by the balls when it comes to cap space. So many missed opportunities to take on side deals for 2nd round picks. Like, in the Vegas ED Vegas would have been given a 2nd to skip Domi and take Bayruther. With how cap strapped teams were, some of them would have offered a 2nd to take Domi instead. But Seattle punted and decided to build the old school way. What a waste.

It's an interesting team with the additions they've made and the players they've lost.

Key players - Krejci and Rask.
New players - Foligno, Haula, Nosek

Haula is capable of 50+ as a C. He could be getting that big shot in Boston again after being great in Vegas in his first year carrying over his momentum from the Wild and then running into some injury issues. He's been rebounding back since, he was on a 40pt pace in Florida/Carolina and Nashville he was near a 40pt pace on whatever garbage Hynes is doing there. Coyle being healthy could be interesting and Hall there for a full season can't be discounted. Coyle was playing through some messed up knee issues and finally got surgery for it. So that can be a wild card there.

But that goalie situation - Ullmark over Rask? I don't know about that one.

I still think Eric Staal ends up in Boston which still isn't replacing David Krejci, but it adds depth for them in addition to Bergeron, Coyle, Haula, Smith, etc. Another Hall might be more of a curious thing in Boston next season as well with these opportunities down the middle - Curtis.

But I agree, Seattle botched their entire expansion draft and Ron Francis and Botterill just showed how awful they still are at managing a franchise.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Man, every time someone complains about Hextall, I just think of how much worse we'd be with Botterill.
I’m glad the bar is set so low for you. That’s like me saying man every time someone complains about Sullivan, I just think of how much worse we’d be with Bylsma.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's an interesting team with the additions they've made and the players they've lost.

Key players - Krejci and Rask.
New players - Foligno, Haula, Nosek

Haula is capable of 50+ as a C. He could be getting that big shot in Boston again after being great in Vegas in his first year carrying over his momentum from the Wild and then running into some injury issues. He's been rebounding back since, he was on a 40pt pace in Florida/Carolina and Nashville he was near a 40pt pace on whatever garbage Hynes is doing there. Coyle being healthy could be interesting and Hall there for a full season can't be discounted. Coyle was playing through some messed up knee issues and finally got surgery for it. So that can be a wild card there.

But that goalie situation - Ullmark over Rask? I don't know about that one.

I still think Eric Staal ends up in Boston which still isn't replacing David Krejci, but it adds depth for them in addition to Bergeron, Coyle, Haula, Smith, etc. Another Hall might be more of a curious thing in Boston next season as well with these opportunities down the middle - Curtis.

But I agree, Seattle botched their entire expansion draft and Ron Francis and Botterill just showed how awful they still are at managing a franchise.

Haula being a 50 pt center is hilarious.

Boston is going to look like shit this year unless they make a big move.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Boston better hope their top line doesn’t have an off year. They will be god awful.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It felt like not long ago we were hoping (group think) Bots was being groomed to be a GM but we were afraid Guerin was going to take over for JR. Myself included.

So glad its Hexy
Yea, Hexy has done great so far. Our issues from last year have been addressed.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLeturnover

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Haula being a 50 pt center is hilarious.

Boston is going to look like shit this year unless they make a big move.
I think what's hilarious is the assumption that last season is the norm for production for a lot of players.

• Improper off season.
  • A lot players not in the best condition.
  • So many issues with not seeing family and other circumstances.
  • The entire league was f***ed for goals against average and save percentage that dates back to 2005-06 after an entire year wasted.

I think some blokes here blatantly ignore the f*** out of that. For a lot of players it was a blessing for the grind they endure, for a lot of others it was a bizarre occurrence of season.

So for the first time since 2019, we will see this league have a proper off season as close to 2019.

Let that sink in. 2019 is the last time the league had a proper off season with training camps and pre-season. You don't think that affects them? Try f***ing up your entire routine for a month, it still pales in comparison to theirs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think what's hilarious is the assumption that last season is the norm for production for a lot of players.

• Improper off season.
  • A lot players not in the best condition.
  • So many issues with not seeing family and other circumstances.
  • The entire league was f***ed for goals against average and save percentage that dates back to 2005-06 after an entire year wasted.

I think some blokes here blatantly ignore the f*** out of that. For a lot of players it was a blessing for the grind they endure, for a lot of others it was a bizarre occurrence of season.

So for the first time since 2019, we will see this league have a proper off season as close to 2019.

Let that sink in. 2019 is the last time the league had a proper off season with training camps and pre-season. You don't think that affects them? Try f***ing up your entire routine for a month, it still pales in comparison to theirs.

While I agree I don’t see why a player who put up 50 pts once in his career as a 26 year old 2C on Vegas with gratuitous PP time would suddenly reach that level at 31 after multiple knee injuries.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
While I agree I don’t see why a player who put up 50 pts once in his career as a 26 year old 2C on Vegas with gratuitous PP time would suddenly reach that level at 31 after multiple knee injuries.
Because after those surgeries and time off to heal because of them, he still came back and put up a solid 40+ pt pace before the stoppage and what not. He's also on a team that is going to look at all options to replace Krejci which means their first line will stay together, but Hall needs a C and there's a lot of auditions to hold with Coyle and Haula.

Edit: Just to also add more context to this...

He produced 21pts last season while his most common linemates were Cousins, Grimaldi, Tolvanen and Duchene. As a left winger.

Cousins put up 18pts
Duchene 13
Tolvanen 22.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Because after those surgeries and time off to heal because of them, he still came back and put up a solid 40+ pt pace before the stoppage and what not. He's also on a team that is going to look at all options to replace Krejci which means their first line will stay together, but Hall needs a C and there's a lot of auditions to hold with Coyle and Haula.

Edit: Just to also add more context to this...

He produced 21pts last season while his most common linemates were Cousins, Grimaldi, Tolvanen and Duchene. As a left winger.

Cousins put up 18pts
Duchene 13
Tolvanen 22.

Neat. Bet he is a huge disappointment.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Possibly, same could be said for our signings as well.

Like who? They are all league minimum besides McGinn who doesn’t fancy himself a top six forward like Haula.

Weird how you have a stick in your ass about certain players, but for some reason a player like Haula who has been a reported jackass in several organizations gets a pass.

His heavy production has corresponded with him being a top six forward and getting 1st PP time. I don’t see that happening in Boston and if it does I’ll be very happy.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Like who? They are all league minimum besides McGinn who doesn’t fancy himself a top six forward like Haula.

Weird how you have a stick in your ass about certain players, but for some reason a player like Haula who has been a reported jackass in several organizations gets a pass.

His heavy production has corresponded with him being a top six forward and getting 1st PP time. I don’t see that happening in Boston and if it does I’ll be very happy.
Is it hard for you to not be a :eek::eek::eek::eek: for like 1 minute let alone a day?

2.375/yr for 2yrs isn't some insane contract either. He can either rebound or not, but he could also get a shot in the top 6 again on a team like Boston or at least top 9 with a decent set of wingers, it was an observation. It's not a "I wish we got Haula" bs that you're likely conjuring up in your hamster wheel. Also where's this "reported jackass" stuff because I just tried to look it up and found nothing, same for The Athletic.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His nickname is Haula Famer for a reason.
Yeah I hear contact with Bryan Rust requires tetanus shots as he's quite Rusty and Kris Letang has far too much citrus in his diet as he's been dubbed Tanger.

I'd say don't be so daft but I feel like it'd be pointless.

We literally had Max Talbot nicknamed "Super Star" as a joke and a nickname Haula has that media types and players call him is apparently enough for you to conjure up some character issues.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah I hear contact with Bryan Rust requires tetanus shots as he's quite Rusty and Kris Letang has far too much citrus in his diet as he's been dubbed Tanger.

I'd say don't be so daft but I feel like it'd be pointless.

We literally had Max Talbot nicknamed "Super Star" as a joke and a nickname Haula has that media types and players call him is apparently enough for you to conjure up some character issues.

Talbot wasn’t pushed out of a situation like Haula in Carolina where his wife was posting BS on Instagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad