Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyone have a good scouting report on Lindberg? I'm hoping to see him in WB/S this year, with the potential to be a call-up if he goes on a tear, but I don't know much about him.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Feels different coming here and seeing massive threads on the 5-6 year deals JR just handed out to bottom 6 forwards or bottom pairing d-men.

Tidy piece of work by Hextall so far, still think they need a goaltender but who's really available now? Georgiev for DeSmith and a 3rd? More upside than DeSmith as your #2?

McGinn at 2.75M is a great pick-up as a Tanev replacement. Hallander/Poulin should both get looks in the middle 6.
If the rookies aren't ready I'd like them to go bargain-bin shopping for a bottom 6 winger as a McCann replacement on a cheap deal. Someone like: Ondrej Kase, Nick Ritchie, Tomas Tatar, Danton Heinen, Ryan Donato.

Out of those, Nick Ritchie seems like the Brian Burke type of player (LOL)

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Ritchie-Malkin-Kapanen
Zucker-Carter-McGinn
ZAR - Blueger - Rodrigues

Dumoulin - Letang
Matheson - Marino
Pettersson - Friedman

Jarry/Georgiev

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Honestly, it seems prudent to wait on goal until it becomes and issue in the season or the TDL (whichever comes first) for a few reasons:

1) You can let your goalies at least increase a little bit of their value
2) You can see what we have in the pipeline-- maybe some kid's going to pull a vintage, actually-good Murray and come out of the AHL?
3) You look around and see who's going to get squeezed by RFA signings and then possibly get a better return than you would if you signed someone on day 1 of free agency.
4) You work out a hockey trade.

I get that people are nervous and impatient, but the team loses nothing by keeping CDS/Jarry for now, and waiting for a good deal to come up.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Honestly, it seems prudent to wait on goal until it becomes and issue in the season or the TDL (whichever comes first) for a few reasons:

2) You can see what we have in the pipeline-- maybe some kid's going to pull a vintage, actually-good Murray and come out of the AHL?
3) You look around and see who's going to get squeezed by RFA signings and then possibly get a better return than you would if you signed someone on day 1 of free agency.

I get that people are nervous and impatient, but the team loses nothing by keeping CDS/Jarry for now, and waiting for a good deal to come up.

Actually think there's a chance Lindberg jumps up and wins some NHL games next year.

4-year college starter, not a 19-20 year. Seasoned 22 year old who probably starts right away in the AHL and I have a feeling he impresses.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Actually think there's a chance Lindberg jumps up and wins some NHL games next year.

4-year college starter, not a 19-20 year. Seasoned 22 year old who probably starts right away in the AHL and I have a feeling he impresses.

Again, I don't know anything about him and the big question is how he can make the transition to pro hockey. I'd expect you're right that if he lights it up in WB/S this year he'll get a cup of coffee, and then, next year, make the push for the full-time job in the big show.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I agree with 3 and 4 in terms of being patient about this team waiting on getting good value for a goalie, but I don't want to wait on it becoming an issue in-season. If we did that my bet on the outcome would be sorta-issue all season but we stick and it becomes a playoff issue again. I feel like I've been burned once too often putting my faith in inconsistent goalies to bring it when it matters.

I've also gotta say it feels like a real small pool to be fishing in by now. Dallas had 3 or 4 NHL standard goalies depending on Bishop's fitness so there's a chance there. MAF telling Chicago it's not happening would be an option. And that's honestly kind of about it. Wait for Lundqvist? Ask LA about Quick? Hope Anaheim trades Gibson for a reasonable price (but while being aware the more reasonable the price is, the less likely it is he's in the form where we want him)?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The thing is, Jarry and CDS have been okay in the regular season outside of last year's horrendous start for both. So, me personally, I'd gamble a bit on them not being utter liabilities in the first few weeks of the season to give myself time to find a better deal.

Now, if that better deal is available now, I'd grab it, sure. But I don't think it necessarily is.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The thing is, Jarry and CDS have been okay in the regular season outside of last year's horrendous start for both. So, me personally, I'd gamble a bit on them not being utter liabilities in the first few weeks of the season to give myself time to find a better deal.

Now, if that better deal is available now, I'd grab it, sure. But I don't think it necessarily is.

How often do you see good goalies dealt in season though? I know the media say Hextall reckons it's on, but that feels like a bluff/pining for Quick to me.

I agree with the principle of patience here. I am uneasy about it ending well.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
How often do you see good goalies dealt in season though? I know the media say Hextall reckons it's on, but that feels like a bluff/pining for Quick to me.

For sure. All bad...

If you are not lucky enough to bring one up in your own system, it is hard to snag a 'good' goalie at any sort of decent cost (money or trade-wise).

It is Jarry/Desmith unless something FALLS into the Pens lap

Reactions: Peat

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yes.

He was literally scratched in the playoffs when we got healthy.

@Gurglesons

Sort of missed the point on that one. We're regularly injured, so saying "he only played in the top 6 when we had injuries" is a nothing statement. Rodrigues should never play in the top 6, but he's one of Sullivan's go-to spot duty guys on a team that's often dealing with injuries.

Further, always being scratched when it counts isn't an argument in his favor.

Reactions: Pens x

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
@Gurglesons

Sort of missed the point on that one. We're regularly injured, so saying "he only played in the top 6 when we had injuries" is a nothing statement. Rodrigues should never play in the top 6, but he's one of Sullivan's go-to spot duty guys on a team that's often dealing with injuries.

Further, always being scratched when it counts isn't an argument in his favor.

How many top 6 caliber forwards do you expect a team to have on roster?

Reactions: Peat

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
If the leafs are still willing to do a Zucker for Mikheyev + 2nd, I’d be thrilled with it.

Mikheyev was linemates with Kappy, so the familiarity is there. He’s big, has some creativity and is fast as f***.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

A bit, especially at the beginning of the season/training camp or at the TDL. Not a lot of them get traded in, say, January sure, but the same can be said of most positions.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Now that the dust has settled, I'm cautiously optimistic about the moves made yesterday. I recognise that there are things left to tweak but that'll happen when it happens.

McGinn looks like a solid piece, some say 2nd liner, some don't. We had to give term but the cap hit is nice. I think we'll like him and hopefully he can find some chemistry quick.

Lindberg looks like a fun pickup. Not as sold on him as a lot of other people are, but hopefully he can continue to develop in the AHL and challenge for a spot down the line.

E-Rod, yeah I can see why people are upset, but I'm not. Cheap, one-year deal, versatile guy, and even though he was scratched they still wanted him here, which should mean something.

Simon and Fedun, who cares. League minimum two way deals. Literally couldn't care less.

And lastly, I read some post questioning how people can be "happy". I'll give my take on it. I can't affect anything that happens around the team. Nothing at all. Now, do I wanna go around all day being pissed, mope around and otherwise feel like shit for stuff that I can't affect and really is just a hobby of mine? Nah, life is more fun when you try and look at things positively. If it goes to hell? Pick yourself up and try again. That's just my two cents.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A bit, especially at the beginning of the season/training camp or at the TDL. Not a lot of them get traded in, say, January sure, but the same can be said of most positions.

Have to say I really can't think of many good goalie trades at the deadline. And by good, I mean "fully trust in the playoffs", not Jack Campbells or whoever. But I'm too lazy to research today so I'll take your word for it :P

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
The problem with our goaltending is Jarry, Jarry, Jarry. Desmith was fine last season and is a value contract. Getting rid of Jarry is key to getting a new one.
I prefer not to sit on Jarry's 3.5 million cap hit both because he isn't worth it and that it would free up cap space to spend on other part of the team

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I’m fine with going into the season as is. Can win reg season games with Jarry/CDS.

only thing is once you’ve kind of made it clear that you don’t believe in Jarry it kind of creates a target on the kids back. Every goal will hit him a little harder.

I’d like to maybe pick up Deslauriers at the correct price. But who wouldn’t? :laugh:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Now that the dust has settled, I'm cautiously optimistic about the moves made yesterday. I recognise that there are things left to tweak but that'll happen when it happens.

McGinn looks like a solid piece, some say 2nd liner, some don't. We had to give term but the cap hit is nice. I think we'll like him and hopefully he can find some chemistry quick.

Lindberg looks like a fun pickup. Not as sold on him as a lot of other people are, but hopefully he can continue to develop in the AHL and challenge for a spot down the line.

E-Rod, yeah I can see why people are upset, but I'm not. Cheap, one-year deal, versatile guy, and even though he was scratched they still wanted him here, which should mean something.

Simon and Fedun, who cares. League minimum two way deals. Literally couldn't care less.

And lastly, I read some post questioning how people can be "happy". I'll give my take on it. I can't affect anything that happens around the team. Nothing at all. Now, do I wanna go around all day being pissed, mope around and otherwise feel like shit for stuff that I can't affect and really is just a hobby of mine? Nah, life is more fun when you try and look at things positively. If it goes to hell? Pick yourself up and try again. That's just my two cents.

Resigning Simon for Sully is like resigning Craig Adams for Byslma, only worse cause Sully will have him in the top 6

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

If people are genuinely going around upset in their day to day lives because of a hockey team, that's a problem.

Most people just prefer to have their entertainers not make bad decisions. If my favorite artist releases a shit album I'll criticize it, but it's not like that means I'll be in a huff all day.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's an alright start to FA for Hextall, but it's still incomplete. They need to address at least 2 of:

1. Goalie
2. Size up front
3. 3RD, preferably with some size

I'm on the side you can't enter the season with Jarry/CDS and assume you can get meaningfully better mid-season. Especially with limited assets to trade. Not many options left, so hopefully MAF sticks to not wanting to play for Chicago. They'll need a goalie if that's the case, so they can have Jarry and Pens get MAF. Just have to make the cap work somehow.

I think signing Perry would be the simplest, most realistic fix for #2, but I'm sure there are other options out there as well.

#3 is the least critical to fix, especially before the season starts, but this group is soff. If they could somehow flip Petts for a RD with a more manageable contract even if he is worse than Petts in a vacuum, that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad