Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goaldot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wouldn't even be against Guentzel for Tkachuk - obviously impossible given Calgary need cap room, not a player - but the part where he needs a next contract at the same time as a bunch of other key players would suck balls.

Also, if we're talking stuff going wrong as reasons to believe a team might perform better than last year, we've got a list longer than a Leonard Cohen song. Yeah, we also had some remarkable performances but we shouldn't have needed them.

It's a competitive division. I don't want to take things for granted. This wasn't a fantastic off-season for us. But every team has got their pluses and minuses this off-season and most of them were worse than us last season and we've got as much internal room for improvement as anyone.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Tkachuk is likely always going to be a playoff disappointment too. It’s in his DNA.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
lol.

What more does he bring to the table aside from his cap hit?

Physicallity and size which is what the organization wants going forward. But even that said it is a big risk trading someone Sid has chemistry with. Tkachuk and Sid could be oil and water

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tkachuck is about 10 lbs heavier. And hits a lot more. And get a lot more blue paint chances.

Pretty much the same producer (per 60) as Kapanen over the last three seasons though. Know you gotta pay extra for skilled and tough, but it would be tough to swallow, particularly as his major acts of toughness in the league are losing his mind at Muzzin, and cheapshotting Kassian before getting beat up by him... that's the main stuff, right?

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
If I had to choose between Guentzel and Tkachuk, I'm choosing Tkachuk every single time. He brings a lot more to the table imo.

I don't think he's going to age well but I guess he's still only 23. I see Milan Lucic written all over Tkachuk. He's not a bad skater but he can't lose a step.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
ZAR is getting paid what I thought he would, around 1.5-1.7 mil.

I figured he would take a little less money and take a 1 year deal so he could get to UFA as soon as possible. Which I can't blame him since GMs have lost their mind on 3rd/4th line players. Good for him. I hope he goes into this seaosn and plays his ass off and gets that big contract because that will be good for the Pens.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Tkachuck is about 10 lbs heavier. And hits a lot more. And get a lot more blue paint chances.

Pretty much the same producer (per 60) as Kapanen over the last three seasons though. Know you gotta pay extra for skilled and tough, but it would be tough to swallow, particularly as his major acts of toughness in the league are losing his mind at Muzzin, and cheapshotting Kassian before getting beat up by him... that's the main stuff, right?

I don't think he's going to age well but I guess he's still only 23. I see Milan Lucic written all over Tkachuk. He's not a bad skater but he can't lose a step.

I was going to say the exact same. He'll probably lose a step at 29. If not slightly earlier because big and physical have shorter careers (either out of the league or shadow of what they used to be)

It's probably still worth it given our core is old anyway

Reactions: eXile3

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
What's funny is that a Zucker-Carter-Kapanen line seems to pretty closely recreate "That 70's Line" that LA had with Pearson-Carter-Toffoli, the issue is that you're giving Malkin bread crumbs to play with :laugh:

I like McGinn and Heinen a lot. I'm not going to be happy if both of them are playing with a gimpy Malkin. They better have someone like Poulin or Hallander on Malkin's wing by merit if they're doing something like that with the 3rd line.

I mean Malkin won a cup with Fedotenko and Talbot as his wingers lol...

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
ZAR is getting paid what I thought he would, around 1.5-1.7 mil.

I figured he would take a little less money and take a 1 year deal so he could get to UFA as soon as possible. Which I can't blame him since GMs have lost their mind on 3rd/4th line players. Good for him. I hope he goes into this seaosn and plays his ass off and gets that big contract because that will be good for the Pens.

If he could play a whole season like he played the first 10 games or so last season, he could cash in. But that spurt seems to be an outlier.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
And the Rangers have gotten worse and the Flyers have exactly the same question marks as us. Hart was actually a bad goalie in the regular season last year versus Jarry being painfully average and they brought in the worst goalie in the entire league last year to back him up.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks the Rangers have any reason to be better this year than they were last year. I guess you could argue Gallant utilizes a system that benefits their offense versus completely neutering it.
I've mentioned in at least 3 different places in this thread how the Rangers seem to have gotten worse, which is fine by me as I thought they were on the move. Something tells me Drury is not the driving force behind the Tom Wilson overreaction, they have one of the most despised, meddling owners in sports in Dolan. If they somehow snag Eichel this year, as unlikely as it is, they'll kiss Zibanejad goodbye next summer. So much for the two headed monster.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
One word describes this off season: vanilla

tenor.gif

You need to work on a new gimmick. Randomly inserting negative comments every few pages is played out now.

Reactions: Night Shift

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
ZAR is back?

So...no changes for the most part coming after 3 straight 1st round exits?

1st round loss is coming again.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

He's clowned world class defenseman Drew Doughty a number of times.

Reactions: Night Shift
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad