Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Day Two Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Playing devil's advocate - is fine contending?

Yes. If the market is 4.6 for an Oleksiak and 9.5 for a Seth Jones.

Even if Letang falls off defensively (which he has slightly) there is no evidence his offense is going.

Teams don't lose by paying their best players big money. And Malkin and Letang are still the 3rd and 4th best players on this team most days.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Tom Wilson continues to live rent free in the head of GMs.

First Rutherford, now Drury. Hopefully Hextall doesn't fall victim to this.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yes. If the market is 4.6 for an Oleksiak and 9.5 for a Seth Jones.

Even if Letang falls off defensively (which he has slightly) there is no evidence his offense is going.

Teams don't lose by paying their best players big money. And Malkin and Letang are still the 3rd and 4th best players on this team most days.

What if Oleksiak and Jones aren't the market, but overpaid outliers?

Also, who's the 2nd best player on the team?

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I mean we can go back and forth on this but hes a great young d-man just hitting his prime

He's a good transition defensemen in his prime but he's not good defensively and not productive enough to justify that contract. His proj.WAR over the term of the contract is -23.1. In my opinion. And also according to the numbers apparently.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm kinda just hoping we can grab a couple picks in the 2nd, early-3rd round area.

No real interest in gunning for big names via trade or anything.

Reactions: eXile3

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
He's a good transition defensemen in his prime but he's not good defensively and not productive enough to justify that contract. His proj.WAR over the term of the contract is -23.1. In my opinion. And also according to the numbers apparently.

26 is most likley just hitting his prime for a D and still opportunity to grow, We can go back and forth but he brings alot more than just transition defense.

Is it a large contract.......yes but he is one of the better solid young D's out there

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh shit Rossi dropped some info that didn't get posted here:

Hextall is being super active it seems. Tomorrow seems like a good bet for a Pettersson or Zucker trade, if one happens.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe they are.

Guentzel.

Not sure I'd agree with that take on Jake right now. Which I guess emphasizes the importance of Geno and Tanger as much as anything.

Have to say after a bit of thought, I'm inclined to agree. Say they take discounts of 2.5m each. That's roughly turning one ELC into Jason Zucker, or two into Brandon Tanev. That's pretty cool, but it's not the difference between contending and not contending. I guess turning Zucker into a Barkov or shit would, which you could do with the money, but that's pretty difficult to pull off.

@Empoleon8771 - I think that if you reckon discounts are the only way we stay contending with Letang and Malkin, then I think a more logical stance would be to suggest it's just probably not happening.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Chicago dealt Boqvist, two firsts, including 9th overall, and a second…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad