Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Hey.. what are your thoughts on Sheahan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Simon - Crosby - Sheary is a 1st line.
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist is a 1st line.
Guentzel - Brassard - Kessel is a 1st line.
Kuhnhackl - Sheahan - Rust is a 3rd line.

If we can make Brassard happen, oh baby. And I'd be happy with Pageau.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Simon - Crosby - Sheary is a 1st line.
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist is a 1st line.
Guentzel - Brassard - Kessel is a 1st line.
Kuhnhackl - Sheahan - Rust is a 3rd line.

If we can make Brassard happen, oh baby. And I'd be happy with Pageau.

Brassard is someone Dorion has stated he does not want to move. We'd have to lose a fair amount to land him. I would guess 1st, Jarry, and Sheary would be his starting point (on purpose to push JR) and I don't think JR will ever bite on that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Frans also brings a matchup nightmare for opposing teams.(especially at Home) He's an absolute beast at shadowing the other teams best offensive player. He's definitely more offensively talented than what his numbers show. It's Detroit.

Yeah, I would guess he has at least 3 solid years left in him after this one. I liked Frans when he was with the Isles, haven't seen much of him with the Wings, but yeah the guy is a demon at both ends of the rink, he's a solid puck retriever too on the forecheck, very smooth hands.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Brassard's really good. I think some of us might be guilty of getting a little carried away with how much of an impact {name of guy} might have, but Brassard's definitely a good player who can more than backfill Bones, assuming we managed to find $5 million in capspace somewhere.

As an aside, does anyone know if there's a search engine that doesn't try to autocomplete "{hockey player name}" to "{hockey player name} girlfriend" every time I try to look up somebody's cap hit? :laugh:

Reactions: Shady Machine

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
Sign me up for trading for Cullen if MIN falls out of the race. Regardless of what else they want to do. They would still need to acquire another center in my view, but at least you could get a rental who doesn't specifically need to be a good PKer.

Slot Cullen in as the 4LW, push Kuhnhackl out of the lineup. Use at center at different points of the game, etc. That 4th line would be awesome.

Guentzel/Simon - Crosby - Sheary
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Simon/Guentzel - Pleks/Other 3C rental - Kessel
Cullen - Sheahan - Rust
Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Reaves (One of these 3 would probably need to be waived/go the other way in the other deal. Preferrably Rowney)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Probably.

Hot take: is that number of assets worth it if we make a deep playoff run or win a cup as a result? I say, yes.

We wont have the assets IMO. They don't wanna take on cap space, they need to re-sign Karlsson somehow. Don't see them taking on a Sheary due to 3M AAV, would have to shed elsewhere. Sprong, 1st in 2018, 2nd in 2018, Gus. That wont get it done most likely, but the best we could pull off.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Too bad it will probably cost us 1st, Sprong, ++.

I would trade Sprong in a reasonable deal for Brassard if the + wasn’t so great. And I’m saying that as someone who loves Sprong and would like to keep him

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Sign me up for trading for Cullen if MIN falls out of the race. Regardless of what else they want to do. They would still need to acquire another center in my view, but at least you could get a rental who doesn't specifically need to be a good PKer.

Slot Cullen in as the 4LW, push Kuhnhackl out of the lineup. Use at center at different points of the game, etc. That 4th line would be awesome.

Guentzel/Simon - Crosby - Sheary
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Simon/Guentzel - Pleks/Other 3C rental - Kessel
Cullen - Sheahan - Rust
Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Reaves (One of these 3 would probably need to be waived/go the other way in the other deal. Preferrably Rowney)

I never considered this but Dear God YES!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I wouldn't call it the worst strategy ^...
But if you go for Cullen, you probably aren't going for Pleks and looking for a beef up in other areas.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would rather go after someone cheaper who fits well with Kessel and would get elevated from playing with him over paying out the ass for someone who's really good already without Kessel. I don't think the Penguins need a 2C to be their 3C or anything like that, they just need someone who fits better with Kessel. I would be completely fine with bringing in an equal player to Sheahan, just a guy who fits better with Kessel.

If Cullen would be where he was at in the last 2 years, I think he'd work really well in that 3C spot. The problem is I don't know if he's still at that level, and I'd rather not gamble on him still being there.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I would trade Sprong in a reasonable deal for Brassard if the + wasn’t so great. And I’m saying that as someone who loves Sprong and would like to keep him
I'm fine overpaying for Brassard tbh. Like 2 1st, Sprong, Gus, Sheary. Maybe 1 more piece, but they wont accept.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
JGP has two seasons in a row at a high end 3C level before this season. Sheahan doesn't. Also JGP doesn't plays with Kessel and Guentzel but in Ottawa with a limited offensive system.

Yep. And Sheahan has been better here because of it. JGP would be better too but he can actually create offense by himself because of what he brings with Speed. Also he's elite defensively

LOL.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Brassard's really good. I think some of us might be guilty of getting a little carried away with how much of an impact {name of guy} might have, but Brassard's definitely a good player who can more than backfill Bones, assuming we managed to find $5 million in capspace somewhere.

As an aside, does anyone know if there's a search engine that doesn't try to autocomplete "{hockey player name}" to "{hockey player name} girlfriend" every time I try to look up somebody's cap hit? :laugh:

Sheary + Cole is 5m.

But Brassard would be tough to get, namely because he's not even available. So the ask has to be ridiculous.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Just stick to CapFriendly for info like that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JGP has two seasons in a row at a high end 3C level before this season. Sheahan doesn't. Also JGP doesn't plays with Kessel and Guentzel but in Ottawa with a limited offensive system.

Lol, in 2015-16 he was used in the top 6 quite a bit, playing with Stone, Hoffman and even Ryan for stretches. Since then, he's slowly been used more regularly as a 3C and his numbers have decidedly dropped.

What kind of half assed backward kind of rationale is this? Sheahan was actually used like a 3C by Babs and then Blashill just destroyed him, but he produced like a solid 3C before that, but hey, let's just pick and choose years without context, right?

This year, his production is pretty much on par with Sheahan.

Albeit, JGP would be playing with Kessel and likely Guentzel and could potentially put up more points because of it, but again, I'm not 100% sold and the ask by the Sens is likely going to be something stupid.

Unless they want Sheary + 2nd for him, I don't think I say yes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Fransen would be much cheaper and would be good for 40 points, plus he PK's and has wheels. I'm fine with him too, even if he's 34 soon.

Frans Nielsen, yeah, good wheels, decent at faceoffs (48%), plays 41% OZ starts and 59% DZ starts.

Like I mentioned, his stats might seem low, but his scoring is at an 18 goal pace.

His most common linemates:

Abdelkader, Helm, Nielsen
Nielsen, Glendening, Helm
Frk, Helm, Nielsen

And right now...

Tatar, Nielsen, Helm.

I wouldn't be shocked if this is Blashill's final year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad