Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Hey.. what are your thoughts on Sheahan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I would take out the 2nd/prospect personally,... but I would pay that for 2 years of Brassard. Or were you talking about the Cullen trade?

Brassard. Why should the Penguins give up a 1st, 2nd or prospect, and a goalie for a 3rd line center?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why don't we just leave Kessel with Malkin then? It worked last year.

Because

a) When you can get the three stars rolling on three different lines, you create a special kind of hell for the opponent and its always option A
b) Kessel and Malkin hasn't really worked this year (except on 3 v 3). Dunno why but it hasn't. Going by the stats, there's genuinely an argument for leaving Kessel with Sheahan rather than putting him with Malkin should we not get a 3C, particularly as long as Geno is killing it with his new buddies

Honestly, this year, the best C for Kessel so far looks to be Sid. And, tbh, Sid does kinda have a possibly vacancy on his line.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Because

a) When you can get the three stars rolling on three different lines, you create a special kind of hell for the opponent and its always option A
b) Kessel and Malkin hasn't really worked this year (except on 3 v 3). Dunno why but it hasn't. Going by the stats, there's genuinely an argument for leaving Kessel with Sheahan rather than putting him with Malkin should we not get a 3C, particularly as long as Geno is killing it with his new buddies

Honestly, this year, the best C for Kessel so far looks to be Sid. And, tbh, Sid does kinda have a possibly vacancy on his line.
Bingo, we don't have the chops for that right now though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You aren't making much sense other than defending Sheahan. The whole hockey world save for a few posters on this board can see the obvious.

How am I not making sense? You're just not reading my posts. My opinion on Sheahan is the majority opinion here, he's a 3C but a bad fit for the 3C on this team because of how many skilled wingers the Penguins have. This isn't defending Sheahan, it's being realistic about what he has done for the Penguins and realistically looking at the future with him.

He has done well here, that is indisputable unless you have an ax to grind. Even Rutherford has said Sheahan has done well. That doesn't change that he's a bad fit for the 3C considering who else the Penguins have on the wings, so they need to bring in a guy who meshes better with Kessel.

Reactions: Riptide

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
How am I not making sense? You're just not reading my posts. My opinion on Sheahan is the majority opinion here, he's a 3C but a bad fit for the 3C on this team. This isn't defending Sheahan, it's being realistic about what he has done for the Penguins and realistically looking at the future with him.
yup. he is a 3c but he is not a 3c. :thumbu:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
yup. he is a 3c but he is not a 3c. :thumbu:

Okay, you're just not reading my posts then. If you lack the reading comprehension to follow along with a very simple conversation, I'm not going to bother explaining it to you.

Literally everyone else understands and agrees with my statement, I don't know why you're having such a problem with it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I find the likelihood that the Penfuins trade Sheahan after he has done as well as he has to be borderline zero. They're not going to trade him so they can gamble on a 42 year old player having some gas left in the tank. Trading him would be an extremely poor decision.

I wouldn't say "extremely poor" without knowing what other moves are on the table.

There be a trade for a really good 3C where the trading team wants a lesser center as part of the package. In that case, using Sheahan as a chip might make some sense. That's pretty unlikely mid season though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Brassard. Why should the Penguins give up a 1st, 2nd or prospect, and a goalie for a 3rd line center?

What? For Brassard, I'd definitely give up that package. I would want to know if he's cool with playing 3rd fiddle before I made the deal though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't say "extremely poor" without knowing what other moves are on the table.

There be a trade for a really good 3C where the trading team wants a lesser center as part of the package. In that case, using Sheahan as a chip might make some sense. That's pretty unlikely mid season though.

The issue is that if you trade him, you're immediately going to need to replace him, so it's kinda plugging one hole while opening another. I'm not confident enough in Cullen being that guy to pull the trigger on that kind of move, and that's assuming Cullen even comes here. If Cullen comes in, I want him to be a Rowney or Fehr type of player, a 5th center playing wing on the 4th line.

Cullen-Sheahan-Rust would be a kickass 4th line I think, but I'd be concerned that JR would just settle with Cullen sliding on the 3rd line, which would be a really bad decision. Cullen of last year or 2 years ago would be able to do that, but I don't think Cullen today would be able to do that.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
My thoughts on Sheahan are that he's a 3.5ish Center... A good 4C/PK option and a mediocre 3C option. Everything that a stereotypical bottom 6 C has... Good faceoffs, good PKer, mediocre across the board in everything else.

I'm not in favor of "upgrading" Sheahan, I'd like to acquire a true 3C and push Sheahan down to 4C. I understand that paying a 4C almost $2,000,000 is not ideal, but I think if we could get that true 3C then pushing Sheahan to 4C could be the depth piece that helps us take that next step. And with Sheahan coming into RFA-status next season, we wouldn't be hand-cuffed with the spending there.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Trying to win =/= massively overpaying for a deadline acquisition.

Dude is signed through next year. We would be Cup favorites for the next 2 years with Crosby, Malkin, Brassard down the middle. You're barely subtracting from the roster and you keep all your top wingers and prospects minus a goalie that might be in the NHL in 3 years. That's a damn good trade for Pittsburgh. Trouble is, Ottawa would never do it. They want young NHL ready talent.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The issue is that if you trade him, you're immediately going to need to replace him, so it's kinda plugging one hole while opening another. I'm not confident enough in Cullen being that guy to pull the trigger on that kind of move, and that's assuming Cullen even comes here. If Cullen comes in, I want him to be a Rowney or Fehr type of player, a 5th center playing wing on the 4th line.

Cullen-Sheahan-Rust would be a kickass 4th line I think, but I'd be concerned that JR would just settle with Cullen sliding on the 3rd line, which would be a really bad decision. Cullen of last year or 2 years ago would be able to do that, but I don't think Cullen today would be able to do that.

I don't disagree, but as you and others have listed, there are plenty of low end 3C / 4C guys available. If in some strange universe, Ottawa would want Sheahan as part of package + futures for Brassard, I'd definitely do it and find a cheap rental or reclamation project 4C.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Cullen is having a tough year. We wouldn't be getting the Cullen of the prior two years. I hope we stay away.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
If Cullen were brought in, we certainly would not get the one from last year or 2016 but I do think we would get a Cullen that's better than what we've seen of him so far this season in Minnie.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Cullen at Minnie is only a little behind his 4th line production here, despite being having to acclimatize to a new system that plays to his strengths less. I'd be really wary of writing him off totally because its not quite working for him there.

Tbh, experienced versatile guy with talent who will slot right in with no worries is a dream come true for a rental. The only worry is his legs and Minnesota fans aren't talking about that. Besides, you could give him Kuhnhackl's slot and minutes and be a better team with little worries about his legs.

I get the worry about Rutherford calling it a day just because he has Cullen, but I doubt Rutherford is thinking like that. As long as he isn't, I'd snap him up if available.

Bingo, we don't have the chops for that right now though.

Which still leaves the problem of B. Not to mention constructing lines in the hope of achieving A.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens need a permanent solution to the third line center. I as all for moving certain assets but the return has to fit for the Crosby/Malkin eventual decline. With so many franchises needing centers especially top line center, the costs are really prohibitive now. If GMJR wants to keep the balls in the air for the next three years, he needs to be proactive when the deal presents itself. Pens are good to very good on D with five players signed for the next two to 5 years. So draft well, maybe get what fits in the off season without giving up young assets may serve the franchise better in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad