Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Free-Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Different situation. He was in the organization playing the system expected of him if he got brought up.
That's true. But you also don't see high level goalies traded. Usually they're guys who are fringe starters going to fringe playoff teams. Gibson is anything but that. He's a clear No. 1 who would be going to a team that presumably wouldn't be on the fringes of the playoffs, but would be preparing for an extended run.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's true. But you also don't see high level goalies traded. Usually they're guys who are fringe starters going to fringe playoff teams. Gibson is anything but that. He's a clear No. 1 who would be going to a team that presumably wouldn't be on the fringes of the playoffs, but would be preparing for an extended run.

Miller was the last one I can remember and it went terribly.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Here's a scenario -
Hextall stands pat. Maybe they add defenseman on the right side with some grit. They let Angello/Lafferty/Zahorna fill out the fourth line, give Simon some minutes, etc.

Throughout the season, they build a little cap space with Malkin on the LTIR. Geno comes back, they let him get into a groove, and then they make a splash at the deadline. And maybe that's when they go and get John Gibson and Rickard Rakell from Anaheim. The Ducks haven't improved. They'll be awful. Gibson will be frustrated, maybe even demand a trade. Rakell will be a UFA at the end of the year.

Pens could put a package together that is less expensive than it is now and allows them to get two quality players because they were able to bank some cap space. And they'd still have an improved lineup going into the playoffs.
That’s a dangerous game to play. Sleepy doesn’t want to give up assets at the deadline to get anyone without huge warts, so chances are they won’t be much of an upgrade over Jarry. He will get fooled into thinking Jarry is respectable again.

It feels like our standards plummet more and more every off season. Our third line is in shambles and now we will have to piss away half at least half of the season watching clowns like Lafferty and Simon try to play.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm perfectly fine with standing pat (to some extent). However, I just hope Hextall isn't overplaying his hand with the whole "Zucker, Pettersson and Matheson would only be moved in a hockey trade" stance. Maybe we just need to dump.

I like McGinn and I am more comfortable playing him on the third line than any of Tanev, Blueger or Aston-Reese. I HATE bringing back Rodrigues and especially Simon, only because this coach really likes them more than he should. I think Gaudreau was a better fit but he got more money, so I guess that is that.

I don't know what the plan/move is going to be but it certainly has my attention. I still think we should try to get Tarasenko. I would not have traded Jarry unless someone wanted him as a centerpiece to a big trade, which apparently is impossible after his postseason. So, keep him. If we can upgrade from DeSmith (who is much more of a true backup and what we need to partner with Jarry), cool. I wonder where Tuukka Rask will land now. I don't think he would come as a 1A so Jarry would have to be moved. I am fine with that. Money has to go out first, though.

Lastly, I really think we should bring in Zdeno Chara for a year. Checks a lot of the boxes on defense...penalty-killing savant, toughness for days, and perhaps most importantly for this fragile team right now, LEADERSHIP. It might stall Joseph's development a bit, but we always need depth. I don't see why we need guys like Ruhwedel and Riikola on the NHL team...send them to the AHL. Friedman might actually be decent in the Ceci role. But we do need someone who can lay someone flat on his ass, as someone else said earlier.

I like the idea of going with very young players and very old ones. I think those are two elements we could use on this team. Poulin, Zohorna, Hallander, Angello...let's see what they have. I certainly prefer seeing them in the lineup than Simon, Rodrigues, Aston-Reese and Lafferty. No question.

Can we make the playoffs, and does it all depend on Malkin's knee?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
According to Stars fans, Nill spoke today and said that Bishop is still rehabbing and they dont know when he will be back. They seem to think that hes just gonna be LTIRetired at this point.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm trying to figure out how this team will be better than last year's.

The roster is demonstrably worse, none of our shortcomings have been addressed, and it looks like we have about 3.6 mil left in cap space.

Give a big thank you to Jim Rutherford for handing out so many bad contracts that it forced them to do this.

It's almost like you're completely ignoring that point.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I'm perfectly fine with standing pat (to some extent). However, I just hope Hextall isn't overplaying his hand with the whole "Zucker, Pettersson and Matheson would only be moved in a hockey trade" stance. Maybe we just need to dump.

I like McGinn and I am more comfortable playing him on the third line than any of Tanev, Blueger or Aston-Reese. I HATE bringing back Rodrigues and especially Simon, only because this coach really likes them more than he should. I think Gaudreau was a better fit but he got more money, so I guess that is that.

I don't know what the plan/move is going to be but it certainly has my attention. I still think we should try to get Tarasenko. I would not have traded Jarry unless someone wanted him as a centerpiece to a big trade, which apparently is impossible after his postseason. So, keep him. If we can upgrade from DeSmith (who is much more of a true backup and what we need to partner with Jarry), cool. I wonder where Tuukka Rask will land now. I don't think he would come as a 1A so Jarry would have to be moved. I am fine with that. Money has to go out first, though.

Lastly, I really think we should bring in Zdeno Chara for a year. Checks a lot of the boxes on defense...penalty-killing savant, toughness for days, and perhaps most importantly for this fragile team right now, LEADERSHIP. It might stall Joseph's development a bit, but we always need depth. I don't see why we need guys like Ruhwedel and Riikola on the NHL team...send them to the AHL. Friedman might actually be decent in the Ceci role. But we do need someone who can lay someone flat on his ass, as someone else said earlier.

I like the idea of going with very young players and very old ones. I think those are two elements we could use on this team. Poulin, Zohorna, Hallander, Angello...let's see what they have. I certainly prefer seeing them in the lineup than Simon, Rodrigues, Aston-Reese and Lafferty. No question.

Can we make the playoffs, and does it all depend on Malkin's knee?

Every dman in our system, except for Letang and maybe Dumo, is exactly the same. Decent skaters, supposed offensive ability (but in reality they have none), soft, bland, and avoid contact like the plague. The usual suspects will laugh at the idea of Chara, because he doesn't have super speeeeeed. But he's exactly what we need on D. Hal Gill was a statue but effective as hell for a while

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Give a big thank you to Jim Rutherford for handing out so many contracts that it forced them to do this.

If a GM can't find a way to dump at least one of the Zucker, Matheson, Petterson contracts then they're in the wrong profession. Literally nobody is unmovable.

Reactions: Pens x

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Give a big thank you to Jim Rutherford for handing out so many bad contracts that it forced them to do this.

I've been critical of JR's latter day moves. We need to use what cap space we have extremely judiciously, and we don't appear to have much left.

Most everything is staying the same so far, in spite of our annual flameouts. Guess we'll see if Hextall has something in his back pocket but so far the players-in/players-out doesn't result in a better roster, or addressing any of our shortcomings.

Reactions: Pens x

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
People need to stop *****ing about ERod. He's a good depth player that makes 1 million. He'll be useful at some point this season. And like I've said, Simon is a good 14th forward but realistically they should slap an "A" to his sweater and keep him in WBS with Puust, Poulin and Legare. Maybe he can teach Kasper a thing or two about being freaking durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad