Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Free-Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Nah I don't think this is it. Oettinger is arguably a starting goalie already. He had a .911 save% in 24 starts last year, I don't see a way that they send him to the AHL.

I think it's most likely that Khudobin gets flipped.

Would you rather have Oettinger/Khudobin tandem or Oettinger/Holtby?

That tells me Khudobin is staying and they will be sending Oettinger down to be the clear #1 and play a bunch of games because he is waiver exempt and as the call up.

Otherwise they wouldn’t have signed Holtby.

I can sure be wrong though if Dallas is crazy enough to think that Holtby is a better goalie than Khudobin.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Last year's division was perceived as brutal with good reason and the fact we made it look otherwise while wading through insane injuries was no small achievement. Shouldn't be discounted.

That the stars didn't convert that production against NYI is a little worrying, although given how Sid's line's 5v5 production was never great and how Geno was injured, unsurprising.

I do wish there were signs Hextall was thinking about this. Right now, it feels a bit like they'll be gambling on the stars finally being fit and not suffering from injury hangovers for a change and that being the difference, but we will see.

Thanks for saying the big elephant in the room. Great post. I would have just liked your post, but HFboards way of punishing people for multiple "flaming" and "ethnic/gender/or racial slurs" warnings is to ...take away my ability to like things?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I got to disagree with the signs. Hextall has basically told us how he feels. He didn’t want to overpay in UFA. He doesn’t want to move draft picks. He views Poulin and Hallander as players that can step up next year.

He’s not going to make a move to make a move. So many people on this forum commend the Lightning and the Avs and these are the exact type of decisions they make. Pull the trigger when you need to, not because you can.

I checked out for the summer, so maybe I missed him saying stuff (particularly about Poulin). If the plan is to see which kids develop quick - kinda nice having 4 kids minimum who have genuine shots at being middle six wingers - and make moves, then fair. But I'd still be a bit more comfortable if he'd swung things to have another top six option, particularly as I regarded McCann as one and sure don't look at Rodrigues tht way.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don't think we should sugarcoat Jarry or try to rationalize Jarry as being good just because Hextall didn't bring in an alternative. He's a 1B goalie that goes on massive hot and cold streaks. He's a goalie that has been outplayed by Casey DeSmith in every season the two have been on the same team. He's a goalie that has a terrible playoff resume dating back to juniors.

He's a shittier version of Fleury, a 1B version of him.
This. We have people now suddenly defending Jarry because Hextall wasn’t able to land anyone else today. It doesn’t mean it won’t happen this summer, but it’s hysterical that some are now trying to defend him strictly because Hextall hasn’t found anyone else yet.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This. We have people now suddenly defending Jarry because Hextall wasn’t able to land anyone else today. It doesn’t mean it won’t happen this summer, but it’s hysterical that some are now trying to defend him strictly because Hextall hasn’t found anyone else yet.

Jarry is about on par with what was available to us from a sensible cap hit.

We can’t force better players for weak returns. We can’t afford to pay Bernier 4 million dollars while keeping Jarry.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Here's a scenario -
Hextall stands pat. Maybe they add defenseman on the right side with some grit. They let Angello/Lafferty/Zahorna fill out the fourth line, give Simon some minutes, etc.

Throughout the season, they build a little cap space with Malkin on the LTIR. Geno comes back, they let him get into a groove, and then they make a splash at the deadline. And maybe that's when they go and get John Gibson and Rickard Rakell from Anaheim. The Ducks haven't improved. They'll be awful. Gibson will be frustrated, maybe even demand a trade. Rakell will be a UFA at the end of the year.

Pens could put a package together that is less expensive than it is now and allows them to get two quality players because they were able to bank some cap space. And they'd still have an improved lineup going into the playoffs.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Vitek Vanacek - 25 years old, .908 save percentage, 2.69 GAA.

Tristan Jarry - 26 years old, .909 save percentage, 2.75 GAA.

So not only are you not getting an obviously better goaltender, but you're losing a second round draft pick to do it. Bravo.
Jarry is still young yet and Jarry is very good with His stick....unfortunately that gets Him in trouble a lot of times...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Here's a scenario -
Hextall stands pat. Maybe they add defenseman on the right side with some grit. They let Angello/Lafferty/Zahorna fill out the fourth line, give Simon some minutes, etc.

Throughout the season, they build a little cap space with Malkin on the LTIR. Geno comes back, they let him get into a groove, and then they make a splash at the deadline. And maybe that's when they go and get John Gibson and Rickard Rakell from Anaheim. The Ducks haven't improved. They'll be awful. Gibson will be frustrated, maybe even demand a trade. Rakell will be a UFA at the end of the year.

Pens could put a package together that is less expensive than it is now and allows them to get two quality players because they were able to bank some cap space. And they'd still have an improved lineup going into the playoffs.

I don’t like the idea of midseason goalie adds. They never work out.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fedun is more like what I’d want in an AHL vet. Probably be their captain.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm trying to figure out how this team will be better than last year's.

The roster is demonstrably worse, none of our shortcomings have been addressed, and it looks like we have about 3.6 mil left in cap space.

Reactions: Andy99 and Al Smith

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I still don't like our defenseman at all not being upgraded...by upgrade I mean someone who is gonna knock you on your butt every game all night in front of the goalie....

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I'm trying to figure out how this team will be better than last year's.

The roster is demonstrably worse, none of our shortcomings have been addressed, and it looks like we have about 3.6 mil left in cap space.

This. People here are actually happy with Hextall and the offseason. I didn't know LSD was still so readily available. Getting a Tanev replacement, resigning ERod, and bringing back Simon is cause for celebration nowadays I guess

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad