Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The grind it out phase | Moar 3C Talk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think Staal is probably easier to get, but it would require JR moving some other pieces around. Possibly Maatta for a cheaper young D option from a team that covets a guy like Maatta more so now than waiting for a guy to emerge from their pool of prospects.

Which would then fit Staal in the Pens cap structure. With 3m and some change, moving Maatta makes that 7m and some change, unless JR got Carolina to even retain 15%, that's tough. Even then, what would it take to get Staal?

I'd imagine Jarry would be someone the Hurricanes would covet (Obviously a 1st wound also have to go their way), yeah they have Darling, but he's also 29 signed to a 4yr contract, Ward is probably on his last contract too.

Curious if this would get us Jordan Staal back on the Pens:

To Carolina:
Penguins 1st in 2019
Tristan Jarry
Scott Wilson

To Pittsburgh:
Jordan Staal - 18% retained.

Then you just have to find a trade to move Maatta?

I don't know, I'm not great with the trade ideas.

I doubt Staal is going anywhere, also he would cost more then that. But if Maatta is going somewhere then i hope it's Florida and Petrovic is part of that deal. Would be nice to add another young guy on the back end who can throw his weight around and plays the right side for our 3rd pairing. Not sure what the rest of the package would be. Maybe try and get Bjugstad aswell?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Huh?

Even if we move Maatta and get back a young guy, our top 4 is still Dumoulin, Letang, Cole, and Schultz.

We did more damage with less.

Hell, if we could get back a damn solid RHD, a young one, for Maatta, I wouldn't be mad at that at all.

Like I said, three top-4 guys. Cole is a great 3rd pairing guy, but there's a reason he's been #6 for ice time for both of these runs. He's going to disappoint somebody when they try to force him into their top 4. I hope it's not us.

If we move Maatta, we need to turn around and get a 2nd pairing LD to replace him. I love Cole, but he's not the guy to do it. Not full time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd say Sheary+1st is fair for Duchene at this point. Adding Sprong and Maatta is mind boggling dumb. Duchene is good but he aint that good to get Sheary, Maatta, Sprong, 1st, Sakic needs to go if Avalanche have any hope at all in their future.

There's reality, where we all live.

Then there's whatever the **** Sakic lives in, Mr. I retired because I'm an idiot with a snow-blower.

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Curious if this would get us Jordan Staal back on the Pens:

To Carolina:
Penguins 1st in 2019
Tristan Jarry
Scott Wilson

To Pittsburgh:
Jordan Staal - 18% retained.

Then you just have to find a trade to move Maatta?

I don't know, I'm not great with the trade ideas.

Your figures work so long as one of Hagelin or Maatta is moved. I still don't see how improving the depth up front outweighs the downsides of removing one of the top-four.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Like I said, three top-4 guys. Cole is a great 3rd pairing guy, but there's a reason he's been #6 for ice time for both of these runs. He's going to disappoint somebody when they try to force him into their top 4. I hope it's not us.

If we move Maatta, we need to turn around and get a 2nd pairing LD to replace him. I love Cole, but he's not the guy to do it. Not full time.

Regular season - #6 (Maatta #7)
Playoffs - #6- (Maatta #3)

PS - Cole played with a broken hand and broken ribs since the Caps series, which is why he played less in the playoffs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Regular season - #6 (Maatta #7)
Playoffs - #6- (Maatta #3)

PS - Cole played with a broken hand and broken ribs since the Caps series, which is why he played less in the playoffs.

So did Schultz. And Daley was coming off of whatever injury he had. And Dumoulin was playing hurt too. All of these guys were hurt.

Look, I like Cole. But I want nothing to do with him as a full-time top 4 guy.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So did Schultz. And Daley was coming off of whatever injury he had. And Dumoulin was playing hurt too. All of these guys were hurt.

Look, I like Cole. But I want nothing to do with him as a full-time top 4 guy.

During the mass injuries on D, Cole-Schultz were playing top 4 minutes and were doing quite well together when pushed up into the top 4 role.

It's not like we haven't seen them play top 4 minutes in an extended period.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
During the mass injuries on D, Cole-Schultz were playing top 4 minutes and were doing quite well together when pushed up into the top 4 role.

It's not like we haven't seen them play top 4 minutes in an extended period.

I just really disagree with you here. He can do it for stretches, but he's just not a legit top 4 guy imo. Honestly, I'm surprised this is an unpopular opinion.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
While it's true that Olli would be involved in a deal for Staal or Duchene, i just can't see either landing here atm.

Staal would only move if he wanted out, imo. That team is on a nice upward trend so i dunno why he'd wanna leave at this point in time. Maybe if they were the ones to land Duchene, the team may shop him.

Duchene: We are easily outbid for so i don't see him coming either. This isn't a Phil situation where he has a NTC/NMC. Sakic can send him anywhere.

Olli will be here for awhile if not for all of his current contract.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just really disagree with you here. He can do it for stretches, but he's just not a legit top 4 guy imo. Honestly, I'm surprised this is an unpopular opinion.

No, look, I get it. Losing Maatta isn't the ideal situation, but it wouldn't be as devastating as people make it out to be as well, if anything, JR then needs to add a solid piece as the Penguins defense is "by committee" as we've all seen the last 2yrs.

My stance in regards to the Duchene stuff is yes, if only we get Zadorov as well, if that means we lose Jarry, Sheary, Maatta, and a 1st, whatever, we're a better team after the deal with still enough pieces in the prospect pool and some interesting young wingers as well.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No, look, I get it. Losing Maatta isn't the ideal situation, but it wouldn't be as devastating as people make it out to be as well, if anything, JR then needs to add a solid piece as the Penguins defense is "by committee" as we've all seen the last 2yrs.

My stance in regards to the Duchene stuff is yes, if only we get Zadorov as well, if that means we lose Jarry, Sheary, Maatta, and a 1st, whatever, we're a better team after the deal with still enough pieces in the prospect pool and some interesting young wingers as well.

The Pens D really wasn't by committee in 2016. It was about as clear cut of a top pair, second pair, bottom pair as you can get. This year was pretty committee like, but there was still a clear divide from Dumo/Hainsey and then everybody else. Almost 3 minutes of ES difference between them and everyone else.

Getting Zadorov obviously changes things. At the very least, moving Maatta means you need another 4/5 tweener. Cole needs to at least be competing for that spot. Also, even if I liked Cole there, I just think he's gone in a year regardless. Someone's going to pay him too much money next summer.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Pens D really wasn't by committee in 2016. It was about as clear cut of a top pair, second pair, bottom pair as you can get. This year was pretty committee like, but there was still a clear divide from Dumo/Hainsey and then everybody else. Almost 3 minutes of ES difference between them and everyone else.

Getting Zadorov obviously changes things. At the very least, moving Maatta means you need another 4/5 tweener. Cole needs to at least be competing for that spot. Also, even if I liked Cole there, I just think he's gone in a year regardless. Someone's going to pay him too much money next summer.

If we got Zadorov in place of Maatta, our defense is vastly more improved than last year and Cole is perfectly fine as a solid #5 with Hunwick as the #6 and a battle between Ruhwedel/Pouliot for #7.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I wouldn't want Jordan Staal at 5 million dollars. 4 million...deal.

We also have to remember, Jordan Staal isn't a kid anymore. He's 30 this year.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I shudder to think what Sakic would want for Zadorov. He's trying to improve their ****** D and he hasn't ruined the relationship there yet.

Zadorov is a guy I am a huge fan of. I have a couple guys in the league that I watch and I walk away thinking, "****, are they really promising hockey players." Zadorov is one of those guys for me. He has potential to be a throwback Robyn Regehr type of defenseman that can move the puck. Him, Dylan Larkin, and Jacob Trouba are 3 guys that I think can break out at any time.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm thinking there's a 90% chance that our 3C comes out of Vegas. It just makes too much sense. They have a surplus of bottom-6 caliber centers and they don't mind getting futures in return.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Zadorov is a guy I am a huge fan of. I have a couple guys in the league that I watch and I walk away thinking, "****, are they really promising hockey players." Zadorov is one of those guys for me. He has potential to be a throwback Robyn Regehr type of defenseman that can move the puck. Him, Dylan Larkin, and Jacob Trouba are 3 guys that I think can break out at any time.

And Sakic is probably thinking he's the next Scott Stevens because he's Sakic.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm thinking there's a 90% chance that our 3C comes out of Vegas. It just makes too much sense. They have a surplus of bottom-6 caliber centers and they don't mind getting futures in return.

I am 100% on the same page. In all honesty, I could see us swinging a deal for both Haula and Eakin if the deal was right for Vegas. I think Hagelin is absolutely a guy that GMGM wants. He wants guys in the last year of their deals that he can turn over at the deadline for a ransom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad