Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You're expecting a 5'7" center who had 14 points in 49 games and can't play defense to be a saviour for the 4th line and sub in for generational centers.

No, I'm really not. I'm just observing at this point in 15-16 we had Fehr, Sutter, and Sundqvist as a prospect and in 16-17 we had Bonino, Fehr, and Sundqvist as a prospect.

Right now we have Rowney. Signing an equivalent to Fehr makes sense to build-up our depth.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
No, I'm really not. I'm just observing at this point in 15-16 we had Fehr, Sutter, and Sundqvist as a prospect and in 16-17 we had Bonino, Fehr, and Sundqvist as a prospect.

Right now we have Rowney. Signing an equivalent to Fehr makes sense to build-up our depth.

I don't see any similarities between Desharnais and Fehr. One guy is extremely tiny and severely lacks a defensive game game, let alone PK abilities. The other is quite large, had a reputation for being strong defensively and a good PK'er. I'd MUCH rather see what Rowney can do instead of signing another team's castoff.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't see any similarities between Desharnais and Fehr. One guy is extremely tiny and severely lacks a defensive game game, let alone PK abilities. The other is quite large, had a reputation for being strong defensively and a good PK'er. I'd MUCH rather see what Rowney can do instead of signing another team's castoff.

Well, Fehr was a cap dump and is no longer in the NHL. Desharnais was an effective player in his time with the Oilers and just signed a contract.

Also, I don't know how many times I need to say this. I'm advocating a player like Desharnais that we can sign for one year for cheap to bloster our lack of depth in our bottom six. You can move on from him if he doesn't pan out.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

You're not "just observing". Observing would simply be pointing out the situation. What you've been saying is that missing out on Desharnais was a mistake, despite his being terrible at both ends of the ice last year.

That's not an observation, that's a recommendation - and one that's hard to defend other than "depth". He is indeed another center who has played in the NHL, and that's about the extent of his qualifications for 4C.

No it doesn't, because again, we're waiting on the best 4C in the NHL to decide whether he's playing another season. Signing a very flawed 4C like Desharnais would preclude that and make us a worse team in the process.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, Fehr was a cap dump and is no longer in the NHL. Desharnais was an effective player in his time with the Oilers and just signed a contract.

Also, I don't know how many times I need to say this. I'm advocating a player like Desharnais that we can sign for one year for cheap to bloster our lack of depth in our bottom six. You can move on from him if he doesn't pan out.

He's a tiny one-dimensional center whose lone dimension consisted of him scoring 3 goals and 8 points in 31 games for the Oilers, which would extrapolates 8 goals and 21 points over a full season.

That's effective to you?

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

The Leafs dumped Fehr?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You're not "just observing". Observing would simply be pointing out the situation. What you've been saying is that missing out on Desharnais was a mistake, despite his being terrible at both ends of the ice last year.

That's not an observation, that's a recommendation - and one that's hard to defend other than "depth". He is indeed another center who has played in the NHL, and that's about the extent of his qualifications for 4C.

No it doesn't, because again, we're waiting on the best 4C in the NHL to decide whether he's playing another season. Signing a very flawed 4C like Desharnais would preclude that and make us a worse team in the process.

We were able to wait and sign Cullen the past two years because we had players like Bonino, Sutter and Fehr who were legitimate centers.

We have Crosby and Malkin as legitimate centers right now. Rowney's "great" playoffs came from playing wing with Cullen.

Spending a million dollars to have a player that has proven he can play center in the NHL is something we should do and have had the last two years we won a Cup.

Also, do you feel this confident if Cullen doesn't sign?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We were able to wait and sign Cullen the past two years because we had players like Bonino, Sutter and Fehr who were legitimate centers.

We waited on Cullen because it's worth waiting for someone who's the best at what he does to decide, particularly when the alternatives don't come close to comparing.

We have Crosby and Malkin as legitimate centers right now. Rowney's "great" playoffs came from playing wing with Cullen.

Rowney scored at virtually the same pace as Desharnais last year and provides size and PK ability for half the price.

Spending a million dollars to have a player that has proven he can play center in the NHL is something we should do and have had the last two years we won a Cup.

Also, do you feel this confident if Cullen doesn't sign?

No, because he sucks and Cullen is still deciding. What we haven't had the last 2 years is a regular center near as bad as Desharnais.

If Cullen doesn't re-sign, yes, I'm just as confident, because 1) it was still worth waiting to see if Cullen decided to play another year and 2) Desharnais isn't good and we can find a better 4C easily.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd absolutely like the center thing resolved and I'm going to be a little uneasy until it is, but I know that Bones and Cullen make things more difficult this year, and that these things can take time so they work out for the best.

What I'm not going to do is wish we prematurely moved on from Cullen to sign any old center from the scrapheap just to say "we have a 4C". Yeah, we would...a really ****** one. I'll wait awhile to see if the chef has another prime steak in the back rather than scour the Arby's parking lot for a half-eaten beef bunwich.

Totally fair. I didn't care at all when the Rangers signed DD, so not sure why I'm going on about it :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If you want to feel better about our centers, NYR projected top 4 is Zibanejawhatever, Hayes, Desharnais and Lias Andersson (?). And they're right up against the cap. That Girardi buyout is ugly.

Thank you. That does make me feel a LOT better :laugh:

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
He played one game for them last year. Doubt they are playing him anymore this year unless they get severely injured.

I don't think you know how "out of the NHL" works. And what Fehr is now, 2 years later from when we signed him, has nothing to do with what he was then.

But I know your goal is just to complain so it serves your purpose.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think you know how "out of the NHL" works. And what Fehr is now, 2 years later from when we signed him, has nothing to do with what he was then.

But I know your goal is just to complain so it serves your purpose.

It isn't just to complain. It is just we haven't had this bad depth in terms of center in a long time.

Yes, Cullen could sign, we could move a winger like Kuhn and a pick, and Rowney could play to his ability.

It just seems like we are banking on a lot of things coming together exactly how we want.

Signing a player similar to Fehr or Desharnais helps with that. That is my only point aside from the fact centers like top four defensemen are expensive assets are the longer we wait the more we will have to pay. If we end up sacrificing a player like Mattaa or Sheary for someone Rutherford "wants" it could turn out pretty bad.

Sorry. Let's just go back to talking about Duchene because that's the only person that we should be talking about since it's summer and we can sign or trade for a 3C whenever we want because back to back cups. We the best.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008

Yeah look how that worked out for us. If the Leafs wouldn't have done us the favour of including him in that deal we'd still be lamenting his cap hit from a potential buyout or being buried in the minors. I just don't feel that making a signing JUST to make a signing is prudent when your team spends right up to the cap.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It isn't just to complain. It is just we haven't had this bad depth in terms of center in a long time.

Yes, Cullen could sign, we could move a winger like Kuhn and a pick, and Rowney could play to his ability.

It just seems like we are banking on a lot of things coming together exactly how we want.

Signing a player similar to Fehr or Desharnais helps with that. That is my only point aside from the fact centers like top four defensemen are expensive assets are the longer we wait the more we will have to pay. If we end up sacrificing a player like Mattaa or Sheary for someone Rutherford "wants" it could turn out pretty bad.

Sorry. Let's just go back to talking about Duchene because that's the only person that we should be talking about since it's summer and we can sign or trade for a 3C whenever we want because back to back cups. We the best.

Fehr was given away last season, Desharnais was traded for a depth dman. If it turns out we need a guy like that after all they won't be expensive to acquire.

You think we're banking on a lot of things turning out exactly right. I think you're worrying about everything turning out as badly as possible.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I think we need to sign Jay McClement soon before he gets snatched up so that we have enough NHL center depth heading into the playoffs. April is right around the corner!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think we need to sign Jay McClement soon before he gets snatched up so that we have enough NHL center depth heading into the playoffs. April is right around the corner!

All jokes aside, I would bring in Jay for the sole purpose of battling for the 4th line C with Rowney.

Why?

Faceoff % by Tenure with Teams:

Carolina - 53.7%
Toronto - 53.2%
Colorado - 51.6%
St.Louis - 50.8%

He's a good insurance policy and hell, at maybe around 800k, if you demote him, he's not a bad guy to have around near the playoffs when you need more faceoff guys. He can still skate, produces like a half decent 4th liner (Not Cullen #'s). Even if he goes unsigned, a camp invite for sure. I like Rowney and his gumption, but he isn't nearly as good as Cullen on Faceoff's.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd still like the Pens to just go for Vermette, sign Sheary to his long term deal around what that midget in Nashville just got and roll with this line-up:

Guentzel, Crosby, Sheary
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Rust, Vermette, Hagelin
Wilson, Rowney, Reaves

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

All we're counting on is JR to acquire a legit 3C, which is reasonable and doable. Cullen would be a fantastic add, but he's not a requirement. Rowney's a decent 4C who we could always upgrade at the deadline if need be.

That's based on nothing, though. There's no evidence to suggest that says the longer you wait, the more you pay. Finding the right time to make a move is key, and JR's stated he's not only waiting for a center on his list to shake loose when teams are sorting out their rosters and cap situations as the summer progresses, but that he has contingency plans that he could do tomorrow if he wanted, probably along the same lines as the Fleury deal he struck earlier this year.

Why do you think he wouldn't have the angles covered this summer after the foresight he showed with MAF a few short months ago?

Or we could talk about any number of other 3C targets. There's no shortage of them.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008

I agree with you that centres and defenseman are potentially 'more expensive' to acquire but it's really about the timing of the deal. But look at it this way, this is the season that most if not all of the Pens boxes are ticked going into next season with the exception of 3C and 4C. You have to think that most of the other 30 teams are dealing with potentially the same or even more 'needs' than that of the Pens. With the depth we have we're pretty damn lucky in that regard. Jimmy's only been around this planet for what....about 125 years? I HAVE to think he's been around the block before. Perhaps even more than once....albeit with his walker. He's on the case....he's waiting for just ONE team to become desperate and then he'll pounce like the shark he can be. (A quick shout out to Shark Week!) And nobody needs to go back to the Duchene talk....unless you want to. I just don't understand with how Jimmy's turned this roster around in 3 short years with some very shrewd moves that you can't allow yourself to give the man the benefit of the doubt. That's all. You muuust have something else more important to stress about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad