Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer Part 2 | The Hunt for 3C Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Pavelski does more for us last playoffs. Then again Phil was the standout the year before. Pavelski fills our 3C hole and then some. Just as productive. Elite at faceoffs. Can play wing.

I just don't see how you can move Phil before seeing where Sprong is. We don't have another player on the team that can shoot like Phil as is.

Except there's nothing to base that on... where as Kessel actually did do something (2 GWGs), and put up 23 points in 25 post-season games. Pretty quick jump to say Pavs would automatically do more than finish 3rd in scoring in the last playoffs. If Kessel put up like 10 points, I'd be like, yeah you're probably right.

In my hypothetical world Pavelski scores 5 own goals and everyone talks about how he skates like a grandpa, hates him forever, and he doesn't get resigned when he becomes UFA.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Except there's nothing to base that on... where as Kessel actually did do something (2 GWGs), and put up 23 points in 25 post-season games. Pretty quick jump to say Pavs would automatically do more than finish 3rd in scoring in the last playoffs. If Kessel put up like 10 points, I'd be like, yeah you're probably right.

In my hypothetical world Pavelski scores 5 own goals and everyone talks about how he skates like a grandpa, hates him forever, and he doesn't get resigned when he becomes UFA.

Kessel was a non factor for long stretches at ES. Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Dumoulin and Murray/Fleury were bigger parts of our success.

I have no interest in dumping the guy, but I do wonder how he's gonna age. He loses half a step or even a little bit off his shot and he becomes an albatross.

If I were JR I'd keep that in mind when I have Rust, Guentzel, Sprong, likely Sheary, and Hornqvist to sign in the coming years.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
I guarantee if Sprong shows that he can have a Kessel like impact in the next 1-2 years, Kessel will get traded. If he does get traded, I hope it's for a futures package of some sort. Top9 player+Prospect+1st.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Kessel was a non factor for long stretches at ES. Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Dumoulin and Murray/Fleury were bigger parts of our success.

I have no interest in dumping the guy, but I do wonder how he's gonna age. He loses half a step or even a little bit off his shot and he becomes an albatross.

If I were JR I'd keep that in mind when I have Rust, Guentzel, Sprong, likely Sheary, and Hornqvist to sign in the coming years.

I have no interest in trading Kessel at this time. We only have one target and that is for a good 3C that can be better than Bonino. If the team does that they will be better than last years team. The winger depth is better then ever with Kessel, Guentzel, Hornqvist, Sheary, Hagelin, Rust, Wilson, and Reaves as the starters and Kuhnhackl and Archibald sitting on the bench. The Pens also will have great injury call ups in Sprong and Ashton-Reese. That is a total of 12 wingers for 8 spots with 10 of those that need to be in the NHL. I do see some wingers getting traded this season for an upgrade in defense of center at some time before the trade deadline.

If Sprong does come up during the season and plays like Guentzel did then they could make a bigger type winger trade. Now if Ashton-Reese plays well and gives us a Hornqvist type play then maybe they trade Hornqvist if they don't want to invest big money for a new contract. Should be an interesting first 50 games to see how those 12 wingers sort themselves out for the 8 spots come playoff time. All I know is this has a chance to give us the assets to bring in a good piece for a 3-peat.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Pavelski was a ghost for much of the Sharks/Oilers series. He didn't look anywhere as dangerous with Thornton hobbled by a ruined knee.

Pavelski's better defensively, but I don't think he generates offense the way Kessel can. And if the team ever wants to be 3-lines deep, Kessel's a much better fit as that guy to carry the 3rd line than Pavelski would be.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Pavelski does more for us last playoffs. Then again Phil was the standout the year before. Pavelski fills our 3C hole and then some. Just as productive. Elite at faceoffs. Can play wing.

I just don't see how you can move Phil before seeing where Sprong is. We don't have another player on the team that can shoot like Phil as is.

Pavelski hasn't played center in like 5 years.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
In his 30 thoughts, Friedmen mentions that Nill is looking to get out of his cap/roster jam. Seems like a match made in heaven and fits what JR said yesterday.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
JR saying the 3c will cost about 2m probably means he intends to trade away picks/prospects and maybe a cheap player like kuhnhackl or Wilson.

Idag for example maatta or hagelin were to be involved, we should be able to take on a higher Cap hit.

Another target in that range is William Karlsson from Vegas.

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Don't know if it was posted somewhere else yet, but Sid and Geno took a back to back photo and it's glorious.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Melker Karlsson makes $2M a season.

As does Sheahan. neither would cost much I'd think.

Going by what JR said today and in that article by Mackey my guesses are

Faksa
Pageau
Lowry

Resigning all RFAs and adding any one of them would be a slam dunk - home run off season for JR.

Faksa via trade? Wonder what would it take to get him?

It's been covered A LOT in the trade forum.

In his 30 thoughts, Friedmen mentions that Nill is looking to get out of his cap/roster jam. Seems like a match made in heaven and fits what JR said yesterday.

Considering he just signed Faska and Hanzal and the contract lengths of some others (Lehtonen, mainly)...I don't see a lot of what they would want to get rid of. Unless it's a sign and trade with either of the aforementioned.

People need to **** about Staal. It isn't happening. It was never happening. It's never going to happen.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Don't know if it was posted somewhere else yet, but Sid and Geno took a back to back photo and it's glorious.

Is it just the picture, or does Sid not look like he's got a bit of gray in his hair there? And what's with Geno always looking like he just woke up from a nap?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
If JR is gonna target a team with a cap crunch then early August might be when we see a trade. By then RFA's will have either signed a contract or been awarded one through arbitration.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Not as a 3C taking every D zone draw he doesn't. Heck, Duchene wouldn't do 4M cap worth more than Bonino if used like Bonino, in fact, he did almost exactly the same as Bonino regular season with similar usage.

At least JR seems to have his head on straight when it comes to a 3C. A younger guy for 2M, I'd love a Karlsson or Haula here. Pavelski, Duchene, Staal? A big waste of cap space and assets on what will be a checking center for us.

Kessel does more for us than just ES and some PPG's, he runs the PP. Sid had his most PP goals since 2005 last year. Geno had 11 each of the last two years, highest since 2011. No coincidence.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If JR is gonna target a team with a cap crunch then early August might be when we see a trade. By then RFA's will have either signed a contract or been awarded one through arbitration.

yeah I think once arbitration hearings are done we will see movement again.

Several teams are up against the cap with a RFA or two (like Detroit with AA and Tatar) to sign still.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Sure does, but just because he said 2.0 doesn't mean the player has a 2.0 contract now. He could get some retention in a deal to bring a cap hit down.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pavelski hasn't played center in like 5 years.

I watched plenty of SJ. They played Pavelski at 3C plenty in recent years. They didn't have the depth to do it regularly. And since he's their best goal scorer and Thornton their best playmaker, they kept those two together.

Worse comes to worse, you play him on wing with Geno and he takes faceoffs. You can then deploy Geno in the D-zone more.

It's just fantasy talk though. I keep Phil next season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Not as a 3C taking every D zone draw he doesn't. Heck, Duchene wouldn't do 4M cap worth more than Bonino if used like Bonino, in fact, he did almost exactly the same as Bonino regular season with similar usage.

At least JR seems to have his head on straight when it comes to a 3C. A younger guy for 2M, I'd love a Karlsson or Haula here. Pavelski, Duchene, Staal? A big waste of cap space and assets on what will be a checking center for us.

Kessel does more for us than just ES and some PPG's, he runs the PP. Sid had his most PP goals since 2005 last year. Geno had 11 each of the last two years, highest since 2011. No coincidence.

Why is Pavelski at 3C a checking line and Kessel on a third line a scoring line. You do realize Pavelski is one of the best goal scorers of this era. And we have among the best depth at wing of any team in the league.

Calm down folks. It's just something to think about. It's July.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
As i pointed out in page one, JR should have 2M left after Dumo and Sheary get done. Thats what he said in the interview. He didn't say he's looking for a 2M dollar 3C.

“Now we’ve got two guys going to arbitration and we don’t know what those awards will be – that’s Dumoulin and Sheary. We have our own projections and if we’re right on our own projections, then we’re probably in around the $2 million area.”
Just wanted to clear that bit up.

He can afford a Duchene if he wanted to.
But he's likely looking at the teams i/we mentioned earlier where a guy is under 4M at most or the 3.5 i showed you can get to if you include a Pouliot + a Kuhnackl or Wilson in the trade.

For me, i think he trades a Hagelin or Sheary to get the 3C he wants(probably moreso just Hagelin+ whatever(picks/players/prospects)). Guys like Pooh or Kuhn may be throw ins to get the deal done.

Last edited:

PennDanzig

R.I.P. PIMP C
Mar 1, 2016
Is it just the picture, or does Sid not look like he's got a bit of gray in his hair there? And what's with Geno always looking like he just woke up from a nap?

I think Sid just put a bunch of gel in his hair and it's mostly the lighting. You're right, I think that's just Geno anymore :laugh:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm interested in seeing if Nill and Hitch are on the same page with Spezza at wing. If he's a center there, Faksa is definitely a candidate to move. Him being signed for cheap only makes him better for us.

And yeah, JR saying he'll have 2 mil in room is just talk. He may very well decide that Sheary's trade value is worth more than a year of his service and then having to sign him again next summer.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not gonna go back through everything, but am I right in thinking that there are people who believe Kessel had a bad playoffs this year? That seems to be a widely held belief, and I don't get it. You don't lead the playoffs in shots and put up 23 points in 25 games while playing badly. He had a very good playoffs. Was it as good as last year? No, he played at an elite level last year. This year he was only very good. But anyone trying to say he was worse than that is off their rocker imo.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not gonna go back through everything, but am I right in thinking that there are people who believe Kessel had a bad playoffs this year? That seems to be a widely held belief, and I don't get it. You don't lead the playoffs in shots and put up 23 points in 25 games while playing badly. He had a very good playoffs. Was it as good as last year? No, he played at an elite level last year. This year he was only very good. But anyone trying to say he was worse than that is off their rocker imo.

I don't think he was particularly good in the Final.

He's a great upgrade for our PP. Great playmaker. And can snipe like few can. But he was MIA a lot this past run. While flanking the second best player in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad