Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer Part 2 | The Hunt for 3C Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I have only one concern heading into this season, are the slightly above average players going to hold up the younger players who have potentially more upside.

This will be a big test for Sully. Nearly every coach prefers to go with the vet over the long haul. Will the organization provide a path for Sprong, ZAR, Archie and Bluegar?

JR could help open spots by trading Kuhn, Wilson and or Sheary. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Those guys you mentioned about trading along with Rust and Guentzel were all young guys who were given a chance so I wouldn't worry too much. JR even wanted Sprong playing but MJ kept him on the 4th line and JR didn't think that was beneficial so he got moved back down.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
IFFF Sprong establishes himself quickly.
The Pavs for Kessel proposal is interesting to me... :popcorn:

Thats sort of how you have to approach any Kessel deal.
Tell me who it's for first and i can tell you if i'd be interested/what needs to happen for me to be interested.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I have only one concern heading into this season, are the slightly above average players going to hold up the younger players who have potentially more upside.

This will be a big test for Sully. Nearly every coach prefers to go with the vet over the long haul. Will the organization provide a path for Sprong, ZAR, Archie and Bluegar?

JR could help open spots by trading Kuhn, Wilson and or Sheary. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

1. One of these things (maybe two) is not like the other.
2. The only two worth worrying about have less than 30 combined professional games to their name. No rush.
3. Lets see if they're any good first. The same could have been said of Pouliot two years ago.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
1. One of these things (maybe two) is not like the other.
2. The only two worth worrying about have less than 30 combined professional games to their name. No rush.
3. Lets see if they're any good first. The same could have been said of Pouliot two years ago.

Some people feel like prospects either get a consistent jersey on the big club or else it means they're not developed properly. These guys are all going to get chances to play even if none of them make the team in camp.

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
Theres a facebook page that is usually decent at reporting signings and whatnot, but I don't know what their sources are.. But they posted that "The Pittsburgh Penguins are reportedly proposing a Joe Pavelski for Phil Kessel trade offer to the San Jose Sharks."

I very highly doubt that though. Probably a made up summer story to get readers.

What is the page?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kessel for Pavelski would be Subban for Weber mk 2. Not an awful move short term per se - possibly a good one - but you'd feel it long term and there's no real reason to do it other than possible off the ice shizzle.

The big thing you'd get out of Pavelski is the ability to play centre when needed. Which would be cool.

Not that this is all that related to reality mind.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Does anyone know if Kessel has a no trade clause anymore?

I know he did when Toronto traded him, but iv always heard from the insiders that once a player is traded his NTC is no longer available unless the team hes traded to agrees to honor it.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Does anyone know if Kessel has a no trade clause anymore?

I know he did when Toronto traded him, but iv always heard from the insiders that once a player is traded his NTC is no longer available unless the team hes traded to agrees to honor it.

It's still in place. He could agree to waive it for certain teams though in theory.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Kessel for Pavelski would be Subban for Weber mk 2. Not an awful move short term per se - possibly a good one - but you'd feel it long term and there's no real reason to do it other than possible off the ice shizzle.

The big thing you'd get out of Pavelski is the ability to play centre when needed. Which would be cool.

Not that this is all that related to reality mind.

I'd think about it if they thought Sprong was going to be pretty good this season. I'd think they'd have to add a bit though maybe some young guys like O'Reagan (centre 1 more year in ahl for developing) and Desimone (right hand D nhl ready) and we send them someone we'd lose to waivers.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Wouldn't that be the best case scenario?

Yes, for us. Worst-case for Matt Hunwick is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion there.

My assumption is that the Dumoulin/Sheary cases are holding up a trade for a 3C. I think a deal is structurally in place. JR wants to see what Dumoulin, in particular, gets in arbitration before exploring a Maatta trade.

It is possible, sure. I think there is also the possibility that JR is rethinking the defenseman he needs to trade. Maybe Dumoulin is someone who can no longer be counted on to be here long term, whereas Maatta can be. The old bird in the hand theory et al.

I am not suggesting JR will begin shopping Dumoulin by any stretch. Just that perhaps now he would be more open to the idea. I think he would be curious as to what level of 3C he would be able to net by dangling Dumoulin.

Just spit-balling.

JR has already opened spots by not re-signing Kunitz, Bonino, Cullen, and not replacing them with anyone new (yet).

It's up to the younger prospects to beat out the semi-established ones, imo.

It's still in place. He could agree to waive it for certain teams though in theory.

Yeah, but with Kessel's laid-back attitude it would be SHOCKING if he did not like the idea of playing in San Jose.

I could see him loving it there.

OK, enough of this, I don't want to trade Kessel. :rant:

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I'm not sure why I'm even entertaining this, but I'll say this.

Let's not forget Pavelski is only signed for one more season, versus Kessel who's signed for five more season. Pavelski is most likely set to make more than $7M a season in his next contract, possibly close to what Crosby and Malkin are making.

I think the entire situation between Sullivan and Kessel is being blown out of proportion. Mike Sullivan doesn't seem to be one to just give up on a player. If a trade would happen, I don't think it would be so much that Sullivan doesn't like Kessel, but more or less than he felt like whoever they traded for was a better fit for the team.

I like Phil Kessel, a lot. While he might not spend all five years left on his contract here in Pittsburgh, I'd like for him to stick around for several more. He's a good player, he's a guy that's easy to root for and he has some chemistry with Crosby and Malkin. He's extremely durable and shows up in big games. He's the winger that we've always wanted Crosby and Malkin to have and people want to trade him?

He has some faults, but he's arguably the best winger we've had in the Crosby and Malkin era. What I like about Kessel is how competitive he is, it may sound dumb but he pushes Malkin I feel like at times. The number of times I see him and Malkin arguing on the bench is refreshing to me. I remember all the times Malkin would yell at Neal the same way or Crosby would yell at Hornqvist. I think having someone around who's just as competitive and talented (Almost) as Crosby and Malkin and someone who's willing to give it right back is a great thing to have honestly.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I highly doubt that the Kessel-Pavelski rumor has legs but I might be ok if they could work out a bigger deal that included us getting Hertl, Pavelski and Braun. It would probably have to be something like Kessel, Maatta and other moving parts that probably make it too difficult to work. But then you could play Pavelski at wing and slot Hertl in as 3c and then have Braun replace Maatta

REAVES

Jun 24, 2017
Perhaps JR isnt done dealing with St Louis? Maybe he circles back, considering we did over pay a tad for RR. Or even maybe RR is going to another club? I also feel as though Cole and Rust are expendable and should be talked about more often when it comes to moving pieces...

Yeah No

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Anyone else listening to GMJR on the Fan right now? When asked about being able to afford a $4m/5m center he said no considering arbitration pending and future FA's. He felt they're looking for someone in the $2m range. He also said they have guys they want more than others that may come available and they're staying in contact with teams to see how things are developing around the league.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Anyone else listening to GMJR on the Fan right now? When asked about being able to afford a $4m/5m center he said no considering arbitration pending and future FA's. He felt they're looking for someone in the $2m range. He also said they have guys they want more than others that may come available and they're staying in contact with teams to see how things are developing around the league.

Melker Karlsson makes $2M a season.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa

Very good tidbit of information, but we know Rutherford isn't against "lying" to the general public to play some mind games with the other GMs. One of the things I like most about him, to be honest.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd think about it if they thought Sprong was going to be pretty good this season. I'd think they'd have to add a bit though maybe some young guys like O'Reagan (centre 1 more year in ahl for developing) and Desimone (right hand D nhl ready) and we send them someone we'd lose to waivers.

It would be one hell of a gamble to run with the "Sprong can make Kessel obsolete" theory before Sprong actually does it.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
More summarized notes from GMJR on The Fan:

Not looking for more muscle/grit. Said he got the best guy available in Reeves

Cullen taking time with his family but he's working out and feels as good as he ever has. Said he's told him no pressure to make a decision soon.

Felt if Fisher returns it would likely be with Nashville

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

The way he talked it made me think hes going to get a guy that's going to be with the team for a while, not a rental or anything like that.

Faksa fits the description of the type of player he was talking about.

I'd love to get him if he becomes available.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Melker Karlsson makes $2M a season.

Coincidence... :laugh:

Very good tidbit of information, but we know Rutherford isn't against "lying" to the general public to play some mind games with the other GMs. One of the things I like most about him, to be honest.

Maybe/maybe not in this case. If he only had to care about this year he could easily go big fish hunting, but looking at what he'll have to pay Sheary/Dumo/Rust/Guentze/Sprong he knows he has to be smart now to have the flexibility to make that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad