Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer Part 2 | The Hunt for 3C Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Friedman says there is something to the Kessel rumors in his opinion. Of course, he didn't say anything more than that, like why he thinks that but alright. Great. :shakehead

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think the pens trade one of Wilson or Kuhn. Which is ashame. Just so we waste a roster spot for "toughness"

Let say you're right, and we do trade one of them. Are either really all that much better players than Reaves? I mean Wilson maybe... but both him and Kuhnhackl are really just 4th liners who in a pinch can play on the 3rd line. And it's not like we don't have others beating down the door behind them in Sprong, ZAR, Archibald and others.

For the first time ever we actually have a plethora of young semi skilled (at least NHL caliber) depth players. Losing one of them to bring in the best "tough guy" who can actually play hockey who's currently in the NHL is not a bad thing. And this is coming from someone who's not really all that inlove with tough guys.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I could see Sheary for Pageau straight up. Not sure I'd like it, but it seems fair. Fills our need.. No idea if it fills theirs though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Perhaps JR isnt done dealing with St Louis? Maybe he circles back, considering we did over pay a tad for RR. Or even maybe RR is going to another club? I also feel as though Cole and Rust are expendable and should be talked about more often when it comes to moving pieces...

Rust is one of the last players I'd move out of our non core guys. He's young, he's cheap and he produced at a 20g/40pt pace last year with zero PP time. And better yet, even if he signs a 3-5 year extension, he still won't cost more than 3m. That's pretty much the idea "depth" player for us going forward and not someone we should be looking to trade any time soon.

Cole, more depends on what he wants on his next contract, where we stand cap wise going forward and what we'd be getting back. I'm not opposed to moving him (unlike with Rust), it's just very dependent on many other things then him alone. But Rust? Yeah I'm not trading him for anything reasonable.

henkenorrswede

Jul 3, 2017
regarding this kessel trade drama
its was invented as i read the columnist article about it written by Ron Cook.

I was so not impressed by the article...
it had none, backup source research .
It was filled with Cooks "feelings and beliefs"

So thats makes it easy to say "Meh" about the article ...
and now i see Friedman has feelings too ... poor fellow
yeyeyeye

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I could see Sheary for Pageau straight up. Not sure I'd like it, but it seems fair. Fills our need.. No idea if it fills theirs though.

They need to move a C at some point with Brown coming up. Just depends if they're sold on Sheary, IMO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Now I don't know what to believe. :help:

JR says he doesn't see Kessel being traded any time soon.

My belief is Rutherford is considering the idea but, for a number of reasons, won't go beyond considering it this off-season.

Which, not completely coincidentally, is what Kirk said was the case back when Madden and Cook were both starting to run their mouths.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Coincidence... :laugh:

I think it makes sense for both teams.

Karlsson apparently was good in faceoffs according to some scouting reports I've read. I'm not sure how much center he's played though. He would be great for our third line. He's everything I think Penguins fans wanted Sundqvist to be, hard to play against, goes hard to the net, solid defensively. He's on a very cap friendly contract for the next three seasons.

I think it's worth a shot either way, the cost shouldn't be more than a 2nd round pick and Kuhnhackl or a 3rd round pick and Pouliot. I'm not sure what the Sharks need or what they'd want for him, but I think it's definitely worth looking into.

henkenorrswede

Jul 3, 2017
well talking about Melker Karlsson, are the sharks really interested in trading him?
If they are
he played center in the SHL League in sweden. Played centerman in his youth as
well as his last year in SHL so far, in the team he left before he came to America.

But giving up 3 pieces for Melker seems very steep ...
No matter that he comes from the same city where i live and he played in my fav. hockey team in swedish SHL.
I say its a lot to offer for Melker Karlsson.
i say
Kuhnhackl/Wilson and a 3rd round draft pick-18.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Now I don't know what to believe. :help:

JR says he doesn't see Kessel being traded any time soon.

I just don't see them considering it right now. If the young players like like Sprong, ZAR play well and show enough potential then I can see Kessel being moved in 2018.

Ready for next season to get here, hopefully Kessel uses these reports as motivation.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017

Believe I would be fine with that, but I really want them to get Bozak. Just not sure Toronto would trade him to Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Friedman says there is something to the Kessel rumors in his opinion. Of course, he didn't say anything more than that, like why he thinks that but alright. Great. :shakehead

With all due respect to Elliotte, he's the one who started those rumors a couple of years ago about Malkin being unhappy here and then backpedaled so hard that he actually reached out unsolicited to Pensburgh in order to clarify what he meant. If Cook hadn't stirred up all this drama I doubt there'd be a peep about this from Friedman.

JR says he's not trading Kessel. He's usually pretty honest about stuff like that so I think it's worth taking him at his word.

My god, I hate Ron Cook. And most of the rest of the Pittsburgh sports media, for that matter. Every year one of these morons starts a rumor about somebody and it keeps snowballing until it's all everyone talks about.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I get our defense was bad last year, but Hainsey and Daley were legitimate top four defensemen throughout their careers. Asking them to step up and play top four minutes in their mid-30s wasn't that big of a deal. It was ugly at times, but because of having players like Dumo, Maatta, etc you could play them 25 a night and then play them 19 a night. I don't really trust doing that with Hunwick.

That's fair but we got Hainsey at the deadline. We can do that again this year if needed.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Does anyone know if Kessel has a no trade clause anymore?

I know he did when Toronto traded him, but iv always heard from the insiders that once a player is traded his NTC is no longer available unless the team hes traded to agrees to honor it.

That's only if he's traded prior to the clause taking effect (like Carter). Once it's there, it's there until it expires.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Kessel is traded, it's because he's agreed it is time to move on and in that case, I think he'd handle the situation better than he did with Toronto, letting the Pens get the best deal for him while he gets to go to one of his chosen destinations.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

I thought it was common knowledge and not a rumor that he loves hotdogs.

Pens aren't trading Kessel anytime in the near future. He does exactly what he was brought in to do and the Leafs are paying part of his salary. Things don't get any better then that.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The Canes were reportedly just bought by some billionaire. Maybe now they wont have money problems and the need to get rid of payroll. Atleast any bad blood between the organizations is probably gone now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I just don't see them considering it right now. If the young players like like Sprong, ZAR play well and show enough potential then I can see Kessel being moved in 2018.

Ready for next season to get here, hopefully Kessel uses these reports as motivation.

Honestly Kessel is probably fishing in Wisconsin somewhere. He doesn't give two ***** what Ron Cook thinks.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If Kessel is traded, it's because he's agreed it is time to move on and in that case, I think he'd handle the situation better than he did with Toronto, letting the Pens get the best deal for him while he gets to go to one of his chosen destinations.

He handled the situation well in Toronto. Not sure what you're talking about.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pavelski does more for us last playoffs. Then again Phil was the standout the year before. Pavelski fills our 3C hole and then some. Just as productive. Elite at faceoffs. Can play wing.

I just don't see how you can move Phil before seeing where Sprong is. We don't have another player on the team that can shoot like Phil as is.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They need to move a C at some point with Brown coming up. Just depends if they're sold on Sheary, IMO.

Why? Lots of centers can slide over to the wing. And until Brown actually looks like he's going to get a roster spot in Ottawa, there's not much need to move a center.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Pavelski is not a fast skater but is a good finisher. If Pavelski for Kessel went down, I think Pavelski would play with Geno and we would still be in the market for a 3C.

Pavelski is 6 mil for 2 years. That would free up a longer term contract obligation while not hurting us in the short term. The fact that Pavelski can also play C is a bonus. Not a bad trade if it was one for one. Of course, the Sharks would have to be on Kessels list of teams. I doubt JR would approach Kessel and ask him to waive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad