Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | Coming to a close

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, especially considering he was a pretty big goal scorer in the HAL, I don't think it's realistic he repeats his low shooting% from last year. I honestly think 15 goals and 30 points from him next year is a pretty safe bet to make.

I'll take the under on both of those totals, could be especially hard for him to crack the top 9 and who knows who his center will be. And his other winger will likely be Reaves.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll take the under on both of those totals, could be especially hard for him to crack the top 9 and who knows who his center will be. And his other winger will likely be Reaves.

He had 26 points last year as a rookie while not playing much in the top-9. Sheary, Guentzel and Malkin (Guentzel would slide to center) are going to miss time next year, Wilson will get chances in the top-9.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Going by Wilson's WOWY charts last year, I'd be more inclined to bet on Wilson hitting 30 if you told me he'd not play any top 6 at all. It seems like he benefits more from playing weaker opposition than he does from playing with stronger team mates.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

It's not like it's really a stretch to say that, though :laugh:

I also don't think the lineup will be rigid next year. Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if Hagelin is on the 4th line and Wilson is on the 3rd line to start next year. I think he'll have plenty of top-9 opportunities.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He had 26 points last year as a rookie while not playing much in the top-9. Sheary, Guentzel and Malkin (Guentzel would slide to center) are going to miss time next year, Wilson will get chances in the top-9.

I think there's a decent chance he gets less top 9 time due to injuries this year than last thanks to Sprong and maybe ZAR. I also think without Cullen there's a very good chance his 4th line production drops. Assuming we don't get Cullen back obviously. I like Wilson, but I would easily take the under on 15/30 if he is playing with Rowney and Reaves for any significant part of the season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think there's a decent chance he gets less top 9 time due to injuries this year than last thanks to Sprong and maybe ZAR. I also think without Cullen there's a very good chance his 4th line production drops. Assuming we don't get Cullen back obviously. I like Wilson, but I would easily take the under on 15/30 if he is playing with Rowney and Reaves for any significant part of the season.

There's also a chance that he's above Hagelin on the depth chart, though. You can't really ignore that. Would you be surprised for the Penguins to start next year with Wilson and Hornqvist as the 3rd line wingers and Hagelin and Reaves as the 4th line wingers? It wouldn't surprise me.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
There's also a chance that he's above Hagelin on the depth chart, though. You can't really ignore that. Would you be surprised for the Penguins to start next year with Wilson and Hornqvist as the 3rd line wingers and Hagelin and Reaves as the 4th line wingers? It wouldn't surprise me.

Well, Hagelin and PH are a possession monster when together, and Hagelin and Kessel have had obvious chemistry, and were a line when we were relatively healthy for a bit last year. I would bet that Hags is opposite Kessel or PH to start the year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

There's a chance I wake up with a millions dollars in my pillow case. That doesn't make it realistic. The only way Wilson is ahead of Hagelin on the depth chart out of training camp is if Hagelin is injured.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Agreed. And I don't think we'll see him playing above Hagelin unless he gets hurt.

Edit. Shady beat me to it.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It would very much surprise me, yes. The best chance of Wilson on L3 to start the year is jr trading hagelin for a 3c. If he's on the team, hagelin is more likely to be on line 2 than line 4.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Hagelin is definitely our most expendable player but I don't see why he has to be moved any time soon.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, Hagelin and PH are a possession monster when together, and Hagelin and Kessel have had obvious chemistry, and were a line when we were relatively healthy for a bit last year. I would bet that Hags is opposite Kessel or PH to start the year.

I thought Hagelin and Hornqvist with Malkin looked good together, but it wasn't explored for very long. I would just go check the stats myself, but all of the advanced hockey sites like that are down now :laugh:

There's a chance I wake up with a millions dollars in my pillow case. That doesn't make it realistic. The only way Wilson is ahead of Hagelin on the depth chart out of training camp is if Hagelin is injured.

How the hell are you equating Wilson being above Hagelin on the depth chart to waking up with a million dollars in your pillow case? What the hell? Wilson was above Hagelin for essentially the entire playoffs last year. Yeah, part of it was due to injury, but why is it such a stretch to say that Wilson could be above Hagelin on the depth chart?

Your posts have been off in the last couple days, you've been seemingly getting pretty aggressive about the littlest things on here over the last few days.

It would very much surprise me, yes. The best chance of Wilson on L3 to start the year is jr trading hagelin for a 3c. If he's on the team, hagelin is more likely to be on line 2 than line 4.

Hagelin was below Wilson on the depth chart for a majority of the playoff run last year. I believe Wilson played more with Malkin than Hagelin did. Having Wilson on the 3rd line with Hornqvist and whoever the 3C is really doesn't seem like a stretch for me, it seems totally possible.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How the hell are you equating Wilson being above Hagelin on the depth chart to waking up with a million dollars in your pillow case? What the hell? Wilson was above Hagelin for essentially the entire playoffs last year. Yeah, part of it was due to injury, but why is it such a stretch to say that Wilson could be above Hagelin on the depth chart?

Hagelin was below Wilson on the depth chart for a majority of the playoff run last year. I believe Wilson played more with Malkin than Hagelin did. Having Wilson on the 3rd line with Hornqvist and whoever the 3C is really doesn't seem like a stretch for me, it seems totally possible.

I see your leaving out the fact that Hagelin was coming off a foot injury that hadn't healed right. I mean other than that tiny little tidbit you're correct. Just a minor detail.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It wouldn't utterly surprise me as little surprises me about Sully's line combos anymore, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me to give more minutes to Wilson than to a healthy Hagelin.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Hagelin is definitely our most expendable player but I don't see why he has to be moved any time soon.

Agreed and lots of people forget he played pretty much injured since the end of February and when he returned was never the same. Did not have that killer speed.

I predict he will have a fantastic season this year and probably hit 20 goals for the 1st time in his career with some extra playing time

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I see your leaving out the fact that Hagelin was coming off a foot injury that hadn't healed right. I mean other than that tiny little tidbit you're correct. Just a minor detail.

No I mentioned it, that's what I meant when I said "yeah, in part it was due to injury".

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No I mentioned it, that's what I meant when I said "yeah, in part it was due to injury".

We apparently disagree on how big of a part that was. I'd put it as a hair less of a factor than why Fleury played over Murry for a while, but not much.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Will Butcher sweepstakes begin tomorrow.

I only saw him play in 2 games, but he looked good to me, he isn't getting as much hype as Vesey did last year, but i bet he becomes a better NHL player then Vesey.

With the lack of depth and prospects on def through the pens organization you would think Butcher would at least consider the pens.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We apparently disagree on how big of a part that was. I'd put it as a hair less of a factor than why Fleury played over Murry for a while, but not much.

Did Fleury play in front of Murray for that long? I thought he only did that for a couple of games. Sullivan was very eager to pull Fleury at the first sign of trouble. That didn't happen with pulling Wilson when he was struggling later in the playoffs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Did Fleury play in front of Murray for that long? I thought he only did that for a couple of games. Sullivan was very eager to pull Fleury at the first sign of trouble. That didn't happen with pulling Wilson when he was struggling later in the playoffs.

I'm counting when Murray was flat out not playing due to injury.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Will Butcher sweepstakes begin tomorrow.

I only saw him play in 2 games, but he looked good to me, he isn't getting as much hype as Vesey did last year, but i bet he becomes a better NHL player then Vesey.

With the lack of depth and prospects on def through the pens organization you would think Butcher would at least consider the pens.

I dunno, for as much as I was never sold on Vesey being half as good as the runaway hype train painted him to be, I still think he has what it'd take to be a solid third liner if he learns to adapt better (impressed early on last year and faded absurdly quickly). I just don't see Butcher as having anything more than #6 potential in the NHL with his mobility and defensive concerns.

I want Butcher because he's a free prospect, but let's not pretend that winning the Hobey Baker is even slightly predictive of professional success. Vesey is what happens when people conflate an award given to players being good at a specific level to being predictive of potential. The kid's game has very real flaws that limit his NHL potential, to say nothing of the generally accepted reasoning for him not signing with Colorado being that the Avs didn't show any interest in signing their own draft pick until he had a monster senior season down the road. I'd put Butcher below the other 'free' prospects we've signed the past two off-seasons in terms of potential.

I've been around HFBoards for too many Peter Sejnas and Matt Gilroys to ever hype someone based off of that award again, long before even Vesey showed up :laugh:

On the bright side if there was a place for Butcher to get the help necessary to improve, it'd be with us (read: Gonchar).

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Archibald's on a 2 year 1 way deal so that will make him easier to slip through waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese