Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lol the old Kuhn and a late pick for an NHL center.

Not just any center, one of the worst centers, statically. In this case Kuhn and a pick might be sufficient for Sheahan. What more can Detroit demand? He's a friggin salary dump.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm beginning to wonder if JR in the quest for the 3-peat just might attempt to "buy the year"? What I mean is do they have the next wave, so to speak, develop this year in WB-S? That would specifically place ZAR, Sprong, Blueger, and Johnson in the AHL for 17-18, while honing skills and targeting weaknesses. Thus, by next year, they should be more NHL ready to replace a Hornqvist, etc....

In doing this, might JR use Pouliot and some depth forwards and target both of the rumored 3C's; Sheahan and Spooner? You then use Spooner as the 3C and Sheahan as the 4C, while flopping then situationally. Sheahan to be used in higher DZ roles and Spooner in more OZ roles. Since both of these are 25 yo, RFA's; their successes or lack thereof could determine their future with the club.

Part of this emphasis on experience and going for the 3-peat, could include the signing of Zaripov. Who if he can skate and score like Malkin thinks he can, could be a huge get. That could be determined early as they should not feel the need to rush Hornqvist back into the lineup. Hornqvist is someone to valuable for the second half of the season and the playoffs.

Granted, these are just some early morning thoughts.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
i know we have a bunch of wingers. But so what? Is strengthening the bottom of the roster a bad thing.

If Zaripov is good it pushes a Hagelin down the lineup and maybe a Wilson or Kuhnackl out of the lineup and thats a good thing. (Not that i have anything against them)

If hes not good you waive/trade him ala Plotnikov.

He wont cost alot so no cap issues should come up.

If hes good he allows another winger to be trade bait that might otherwise wouldnt. Hagelin, Wilson etc.

And whats the downside? You MIGHT lose a fringer NHLer to waivers? Oh well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Maybe I'm just entirely out of my element when it comes to the KHL, but how is it that this guy is so good (arguably the 2nd best player in the KHL for years) and this past couple of weeks is the first that pretty much any of us have heard of him? :laugh:

Either he's not good, the KHL isn't good, or a combination of both. In any event, he's a 36-year old winger. That's like the absolute antithesis of what this team needs, regardless of how "KHL good" the guy is. :laugh:

The fact is that the KHL is a mystery to most NHL fans, and it's human nature to be dismissive about things we don't know about.

Now I don't mean to post this to single you out, but your first mention of Panarin on these boards came on April 13, 2015 when it first became known that he was coming to the NHL, and it's symptomatic of the attitude most NHL fans have about KHL imports they're unfamiliar with:

Why does everyone have such a hard-on for this Panarin guy? If he was that good, wouldn't he be another NHL team's property or playing in their organization?

I mean, I guess there's always a chance we could find a gem in the rough like Hayes, but the odds are against it playing out like that.

I mean, if we decide we're absolutely incapable or unwilling to trade for a big time winger for the top six, I'd take a flier on him, but I wouldn't really hold my breath.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=100767565&highlight=panarin#post100767565

Turns out there was a pretty good reason for people to have a hard-on for that Panarin guy despite not being an NHL property, and that he wasn't an NHL property or well-known outside of KHL circles was no reflection of his ability. That's why you sometimes take chances on skilled players from different leagues if the risk is minimal and the potential reward could be great.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If the asking price/trade cost for Sheahan is Pouliot then I'd do that. That's a great deal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
if the rumor of Pouliot for him is even close to true, then I don't see why Kuhn and a late pick couldn't be.

This seems a valid point to me. I dislike "Everyone will give us their players on the cheap!" as much as the next person but we've got evidence to suggest its so here. Although maybe Detroit really like Pouliot and value him higher than most of us.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Sully mentioned that he thinks Blueger needs to gain a bit more overall strength to improve. Thinks working on something like his core strength will allow blueger to pick up half a step and put his game together.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This seems a valid point to me. I dislike "Everyone will give us their players on the cheap!" as much as the next person but we've got evidence to suggest its so here. Although maybe Detroit really like Pouliot and value him higher than most of us.

it's certainly a different type of asset, but I can't see the basic value being too far off.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
it could be if we end up losing players for nothing....we have the pieces to trade for a good center ......we need to take advantage of it.

The Penguins wouldn't lose any player of value for nothing with signing Zaripov.

I also think a deal like Kuhnhackl and Pouliot for Sheahan would be a good deal for both sides. Pens save a pick, solve their waiver issues on defense and forward and get their 3C. Wings get the D prospect they apparently want and a replacement for Sheahan in the lineup.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
what's a realistic cap hit expectation for Zaripov? Can we add him and a center without sending out salary?

Honestly, if he's really dead set on coming to the Penguins, I can't see him breaking a million here. If he's not dead set on coming to the Penguins, the Penguins won't get him. Malkin just pushing the Penguins to sign Zaripov won't be enough if he's not willing to take little to come here.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Honestly, if he's really dead set on coming to the Penguins, I can't see him breaking a million here. If he's not dead set on coming to the Penguins, the Penguins won't get him.

It would pretty much have to be, yeah. I mean for that price it's hard to argue against taking the shot I guess. But we can't really do more than that. We'd have just under 2 mil if we remove Kuhn and Archi and add Sheahan.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, Detroit can still retain on a player.

Maybe we could get Sheahan at half price and open up some cap space that way, if the Wings don't need it all to sign AA.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If I'm not mistaken, Detroit can still retain on a player.

Maybe we could get Sheahan at half price and open up some cap space that way, if the Wings don't need it all to sign AA.

Yeah, they're not retaining on anyone right now so they have 3 slots. I don't think they'd have the cap space to retain and have a 23 man roster, though. Especially if they're taking Pouliot back.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, they're not retaining on anyone right now so they have 3 slots. I don't think they'd have the cap space to retain and have a 23 man roster, though. Especially if they're taking Pouliot back.

And I don't see why they would without significantly raising the price.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I know we're tight against the cap but it's only 2 mil. For one year. No need for to ask them to retain and then also be forced to give up an additional asset.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This team would benefit leaving some money open for the deadline this year. They have a lot of worn legs going into this season. Going for the 3-peat, if there is a deal there to really add another dimension, I'd like them to be able to do that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I know we're tight against the cap but it's only 2 mil. For one year. No need for to ask them to retain and then also be forced to give up an additional asset.

And I don't see why they would without significantly raising the price.

Worth mentioning here that we do have a surplus of solid utility wingers, some of whom could be exposed to waivers.

2c4602c343a89e097642d43fc466598e.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia