Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I watched some of Boston's and Detriot's games last night and I have to say....Spooner looked better than Sheahan, and looked like a better fit for our system. He got more OZ time it's true but he still looked faster...

I've decided I'm going to take a complete heel turn on the Spooner vs Sheahan thing. Everyone's saying we need a defensive 3rd line. I say **** it. **** D-zone starts.
Let's get Spooner, every line plays offense, and just never start in the D-zone to begin with.

People say we need someone on the 3rd line who plays defense? Hornqvist plays defense. If Sid doesn't appreciate Hornqvist, too bad for Sid. Rust plays defense, too. Just let Rust and Hornqvist play all the defense on that line. Spooner can be responsible for covering the other team's stay-at-home D-man who wasn't going to score anyway. And unlike the Hagelin-Sheahan-Hornqvist line I've been seeing pop up everywhere on the board, which might not score a goal together all season, Rust-Spooner-Hornqvist will actually skate fast and score some goals.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I've decided I'm going to take a complete heel turn on the Spooner vs Sheahan thing. Everyone's saying we need a defensive 3rd line. I say **** it. **** D-zone starts.
Let's get Spooner, every line plays offense, and just never start in the D-zone to begin with.

People say we need someone on the 3rd line who plays defense? Hornqvist plays defense. If Sid doesn't appreciate Hornqvist, too bad for Sid. Rust plays defense, too. Just let Rust and Hornqvist play all the defense on that line. Spooner can be responsible for covering the other team's stay-at-home D-man who wasn't going to score anyway. And unlike the Hagelin-Sheahan-Hornqvist line I've been seeing pop up everywhere on the board, which might not score a goal together all season, Rust-Spooner-Hornqvist will actually skate fast and score some goals.

Yeah, I'm on board with a more offensive 3C and I've said it for months. Ideally I wanted Kessel on that line. Likely wouldn't work with Spooner since Phil doesn't do D. Also I think he'd have to play w Rowney on a wing to take face offs. Not ideal but we could have three scoring threat lines between Spooner and his RW. Also would mean Sid and Geno likely take more DZ starts, which might reduce their point totals. Lot of people don't like that either. I don't have a oroblem with it. Would rather win than have Sid win the Art Ross

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If we get Sheahan for 3C at 2 mil per, would Zaripov at 2 mil per not be doable?

Correct. 3.2m in cap space. Ship someone out (or waive them) and that gives us around 3.8mish. If Zaripov is coming here (which I think is unlikely), he's not getting 2m.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The game tonight was a perfect example of what JR needs at bottom 6 C to start out. Or atleast at minimum what he needs. He needs someone to close out close score games. Up 4-3 and McClement closes it out with smart defensive plays+FO wins.

For me, he either trades for Sheahan and goes Sheahan + McKegg or Rowney or he signs McClement for Rowney or McKegg + McClement to start the season. Either way the 3C search continues while you're other C's develop in the A.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If Zaripov's name was Kolvalchuk people wouldn't question the move... i mean he is 36 and is on the downswing so if they pass cool, but this guy has scored on pace with a lot of guys who did very well in the nhl... i mean for free he could be a one year gem

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Zaripov's name was Kolvalchuk people wouldn't question the move... i mean he is 36 and is on the downswing so if they pass cool, but this guy has scored on pace with a lot of guys who did very well in the nhl... i mean for free he could be a one year gem

Further to this point, while Kovy outproduced Zaripov significantly in the regular season last year (78 PTS to 45), those roles were reversed in the playoffs (9 PTS to 22). Here are their respective KHL totals from '13-'14 to '16-'17:

Regular season

Kovalchuk: 209 GP, 89 G, 133 A, 222 PTS
Zaripov: 229 GP, 87 G, 140 A, 227 PTS

Playoffs

Kovalchuk: 54 GP, 17 G, 16 A, 33 PTS
Zaripov: 72 GP, 37 G, 37 A, 74 PTS

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My interest in Zaripov is very, very low for a few reasons.

1. We have plenty of wingers, maybe too many. Plus ZAR and Sprong waiting in the wings.
2. The rumors of NHL team interest only started after his KHL ban. If he was potentially NHL caliber, why no prior rumors or rumblings?
3. A 36 year old rookie forging an NHL career is virtually unheard of.
4. Even if he does find a role and contribute, he's probably gone next summer anyway. So he's only a rental.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

1. We have plenty of wingers, maybe too many. Plus ZAR and Sprong waiting in the wings.
2. The rumors of NHL team interest only started after his KHL ban. If he was potentially NHL caliber, why no prior rumors or rumblings?
4. Even if he does find a role and contribute, he's probably gone next summer anyway. So he's only a rental.
Well the latter part gives you a better chance at winning a cup. Who cares if he is gone in a year if you win the cup. .

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I can't say for sure, but it wouldn't be the first time that a skilled Russian was simply content to make good money at home rather than pay dues in NA for a fraction of that wage trying to make the NHL.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Why are some people against Zaripov because he's 36? He doesn't really fill a role but to use that he's 36 isn't a good point. Now it's different if we are walking about a 3yr contract but on a 1yr contract age shouldn't matter.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think the past few years there have been mentions of teams having interest in zaripov but he never wanted to leave home. Now he doesnt have a choice. Also nothing wrong with a totally free and cheap (salary wise) rental.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why are some people against Zaripov because he's 36? He doesn't really fill a role but to use that he's 36 isn't a good point. Now it's different if we are walking about a 3yr contract but on a 1yr contract age shouldn't matter.

Because 36 is old as hell and it's without precedent for a player that age to be able to adapt and contribute in the NHL. Vujtek, Medvedev and Dopita were all busts, and they were much younger and arguably better players back in Europe than Zaripov has been.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I know you will probably hate what I am going to say, but clearly the Penguins liked Ryan Reaves way more than Klim Kostin after evaluating both.

Instead of dissing management for making this move, why not ask yourself why the two-time champions had little interest in Kostin?

A lot of people are acting like we are still THAT organization not giving kids a chance, when quite clearly the exact opposite is true. We would not have won two Cups without the youth this time around.

If we had someone like Reaves coming up, you bet your life we would have inserted into the lineup.

We did not have Reaves. JR felt we needed Reaves. I back JR on this one, and virtually all personnel matters to be honest.

Why not?

:popcorn::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Doesn't bother me for a second. Would he even consider the NHL otherwise? No, probably not. But why does that matter? He's a skilled player who would be a free asset and would be cheap. He's not looking for a "career" - he's looking to play pro hockey in a great league, on a very good team. And even if he's a one year wonder... who cares? He's not costing us anything.
Because 36 is old as hell and it's without precedent for a player that age to be able to adapt and contribute in the NHL. Vujtek, Medvedev and Dopita were all busts, and they were much younger and arguably better players back in Europe than Zaripov has been.

Then it's a bust. What's the downside to actually trying it?

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Seriously

Every single person here creams their pants when we sign no name overage midget defenseman from BFE state A&M but a successful professional winger is a pass because he's 36?

It defies logic

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Doesn't bother me for a second. Would he even consider the NHL otherwise? No, probably not. But why does that matter? He's a skilled player who would be a free asset and would be cheap. He's not looking for a "career" - he's looking to play pro hockey in a great league, on a very good team. And even if he's a one year wonder... who cares? He's not costing us anything.

Then it's a bust. What's the downside to actually trying it?

There's no downside. I'm just saying my interest in him is low and I won't lose any sleep if we don't sign him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Maybe I'm just entirely out of my element when it comes to the KHL, but how is it that this guy is so good (arguably the 2nd best player in the KHL for years) and this past couple of weeks is the first that pretty much any of us have heard of him? :laugh:

Either he's not good, the KHL isn't good, or a combination of both. In any event, he's a 36-year old winger. That's like the absolute antithesis of what this team needs, regardless of how "KHL good" the guy is. :laugh:

-edit- The only real issue I have with acquiring Zarpiov, who amounts to a free asset, is that he's a winger. I can't imagine a 36 year old winger is a better fit than any of Hagelin, Hornqvist, Rust, Sheary or any other of our wingers. There's just simply no spot for a guy attempting to break into the league for the first time at 36 on the back to back Cup champs--a team that's insanely deep at wing. I just can't imagine he'd be a better option than anyone we have now, even if Hagelin is a bit overpaid. I think 62's gonna have a big rebound year now that he's healthy.

Last edited:

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
That's not even why i would want archy over Reaves. It's 90% his speed and Forechecking. Thats all. And he can PK.

So can Reaves, which is why Sully wants to use him on the PK. I believe we should defer to JR and Sully based on the results of the last two years.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Maybe I'm just entirely out of my element when it comes to the KHL, but how is it that this guy is so good (arguably the 2nd best player in the KHL for years) and this past couple of weeks is the first that pretty much any of us have heard of him? :laugh:

Either he's not good, the KHL isn't good, or a combination of both. In any event, he's a 36-year old winger. That's like the absolute antithesis of what this team needs, regardless of how "KHL good" the guy is. :laugh:

Hes never had any interest in coming over since hes a superstar there so there hasnt been much mention of him. Now he cant play in the KHL so he wants to give it a shot.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Hes never had any interest in coming over since hes a superstar there so there hasnt been much mention of him. Now he cant play in the KHL so he wants to give it a shot.

That makes sense, but only from his standpoint. :laugh:

I ninja edited my post to clarify my position.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Seriously

Every single person here creams their pants when we sign no name overage midget defenseman from BFE state A&M but a successful professional winger is a pass because he's 36?

It defies logic

There's a big difference in how those options are going to be used. Any prospect we sign will disappear in our developmental system for some time and won't factor into any current roster or cap issues. But we would have to make room and sacrifice some current roster player for Zaripov now. For a 36 year old European star who has never played outside Russia, missed training camp, and may or may not adjust to the smaller ice and faster pace.

I think without that "Russian buddy for Geno" angle most people would just shrug and see that Zaripov is a luxury, not a need, and that we have bigger issues to adress with what little cap space we have. I see the upside but I'm really not interested. IMO we have more than enough wingers already and don't need to spend time and money (I don't think he'd sign for near league minimum - the guy's been a superstar in Russia and will want to get paid decently) on this experiment.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
"Everyone gets excited about a defenseman that's a free asset that could grow/develop in our system in the AHL or be called up in case of injury but nobody wants this 36 year old mysterious winger when we have a team literally full of great wingers and two stud prospects waiting in WBS in ZAR and Sprong."

Yeah, basically. That's pretty accurate. :laugh:

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I just don't want to make a spot for the Russian version of a 36 year old Kunitz. :laugh:

We're fine at wing. Find a center between now and the trade deadline and be done with it. We even have guys waiting for their chance to prove themselves in ZAR and Sprong.

If Zaripov was a center, I'd be much more intrigued, but as a winger I have just about zero interest.

By all accounts, Zaripov can still score and skate, which puts him above the recent status of Kunitz. Not sure how many open weak side opportunities Kunitz flubbed in the last two years.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
By all accounts, Zaripov can still score and skate, which puts him above the recent status of Kunitz. Not sure how many open weak side opportunities Kunitz flubbed in the last two years.

The Kunitz thing was half in jest. :laugh: I just mean I don't want some guy on the downside of his career to come in and take a spot from a more deserving, better fit simply because. That seems like it'd be the case if we landed this guy. The odds of him falling closer to Kunitz in terms of effectiveness and production are higher than mirroring someone like Cullen, I'd think.

And again, the winger issue. There's just simply no spot available unless he wants to play for peanuts on the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad