Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah I've focused in on him in two games now.. and it's only preseason but he is painfully vanilla. Very disengaged. Plays like he doesn't even want the puck on his stick.

Duchene was the same when his name surfaced last season as being on the block. I wouldn't take anything from that as him being that as a whole.

It has to be tough to be in Sheahan's shoes. For one, his coach just doesn't like him and it shows with his usage since Babs left, he's been in rumors for a while now, basically all off season it seems, I think he just wants out at this point.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I too, like to write off things before it's ever tried or seen on the ice.

It's possible that that line (Hagelin, Sheahan, Hornqvist) could be the next great thing... but seeing how not a single one of those 3 is all that adapt at passing the puck, the odds of that line being anything more than a run of the mill 3rd line is slim.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Outside of the fact that Sheahan has been more of a playmaker his entire career. He's just been in such a **** situation, people are going to scrutinize the crap out of him no matter what.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
okay make it 14. Does that change anything for Archibald?

Depends on Mckegg, Bleuger or whomever else stays up. Or if we keep 8D. So maybe.

But we currently have 13F with Rowney, Archie and Kuhnhackl on the roster... so it's certainly possible.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yup Sheahan did nothing for me before and watching him tonight he does nothing for me now. Blaahhh

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Duchene was the same when his name surfaced last season as being on the block. I wouldn't take anything from that as him being that as a whole.

It has to be tough to be in Sheahan's shoes. For one, his coach just doesn't like him and it shows with his usage since Babs left, he's been in rumors for a while now, basically all off season it seems, I think he just wants out at this point.

Sheahan scored 2 goals last year. I'm sure the coach not having confidence in him didn't help his cause, but the trade rumors weren't causing him to suck.

Sheahan needs preseason to prove he's a legit NHL 3rd line center. He hasn't inspired much confidence so far. Of course, neither has Pouliot so maybe this is a match made in heaven!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Currently the Wings are a smoldering tire fire of a team. And Blashill is tossing giant bags stuffed with garbage on top to see how long he can keep that abomination going. For a guy who was supposed to be some sort of Babcock protege... the reality is much closer to somewhere between Disco and Mike Johnston... just without all the success.

None of that completely excuses the fact that Sheahan has been underwhelming and I myself have some misgivings about moving forward with that as the plan. But I'm willing to see how it plays out if it does go down. People act like there was and still is a giant pile of glorious options out there. I don't see that as being the case, at all. You all seem to want something closer to a second line center. Those are expensive and generally not often up for trade.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Currently the Wings are a smoldering tire fire of a team. And Blashill is tossing giant bags stuffed with garbage on top to see how long he can keep that abomination going. For a guy who was supposed to be some sort of Babcock protege... the reality is much closer to somewhere between Disco and Mike Johnston... just without all the success.

None of that completely excuses the fact that Sheahan has been underwhelming and I myself have some misgivings about moving forward with that as the plan. But I'm willing to see how it plays out if it does go down. People act like there was and still is a giant pile of glorious options out there. I don't see that as being the case, at all. You all seem to want something closer to a second line center. Those are expensive and generally not often up for trade.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about Sheahan's performance so far because a]it's a ****** situation in Detroit, especially if he knows he's pretty much out the door, and b]the rumored swap is for Pouliot, who has also looked like garbage, so it's not big loss.

I've seen enough of Sheahan in the past to be comfortable with the deal, especially given what the (potential) price seems to be.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sure make that trade and then what? There goes most of the cap space. Not trying to be negative but if we get Sheahan, chances are that he's the guy. Gotta hope a WBS kid impresses down the stretch.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Assuming they don't do something stupid like give pro scout Evgeni Malkin's buddy the rest of the money, they should still have a decent chunk pro-rated by the TDL, no?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I understand the use of a guy's previous or current production and play as a measuring stick when evaluating a player, but there's also something to be said about putting a player in the best position to succeed and having him play to his strengths. Now, I don't know a ****ing thing about Sheahan, nor do I particularly care to acquire him even if it only costs us a nothing asset like Pouliot, but whatever center we get will be sheltered behind Sid and Geno's lines and he'd have fantastic wingers to play with. I'd imagine anyone coming here would see a boost to production as well as performance on the ice. Now, it's just a matter of finding the best guy available for this team--outside of Duchene, who is by far and away the best choice with regard to speed, skill, versatility, age and he'll have a chip on his shoulder to prove all the doubters wrong.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sure make that trade and then what? There goes most of the cap space. Not trying to be negative but if we get Sheahan, chances are that he's the guy. Gotta hope a WBS kid impresses down the stretch.

Gotta have faith in Sullivan. He's not going to wave his magic wand, but he and the coaching staff can break Sheahan down and build him back up again ala Schultz.

Schultz came in as a flaming bag of **** that more than earned his Jultz moniker and that's why he came with a Kaufmann's basement price tag. Now he's making big coin and to land Schultz in a trade, it would take hefty assets from another team.

Sullivan also took a group of mostly unspectacular blueliners without Letang and held them together with duct tape and krazy glue, yet somehow won another cup.

Seeing him get Sheahan back to the form he showed under Babcock, would be less of a miracle than the ones he performed above IMHO.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

At least one forward will have to be moved out, otherwise the Pens will be carrying 14 forwards including Sheahan. So even if it's a "league minimum" type salary like Archibald or Kuhn, that means the Sheahan acquisition is closer to a $1.3 million cap hit (his cap hit minus the player's going out), still leaving the Pens with about $2 million in cap space. That's actually quite a bit by the deadline. And if cap space is absolutely needed immediately, Hagelin's cap space could be moved quite easily, IMO.

So I don't think acquiring Sheahan means the Pens basically use up any remaining cap space and can't make further moves, if further move are required.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
At least one forward will have to be moved out, otherwise the Pens will be carrying 14 forwards including Sheahan. So even if it's a "league minimum" type salary like Archibald or Kuhn, that means the Sheahan acquisition is closer to a $1.3 million cap hit (his cap hit minus the player's going out), still leaving the Pens with about $2 million in cap space. That's actually quite a bit by the deadline. And if cap space is absolutely needed immediately, Hagelin's cap space could be moved quite easily, IMO.

So I don't think acquiring Sheahan means the Pens basically use up any remaining cap space and can't make further moves, if further move are required.

One forward will have to be moved out if and only if no prospect makes the team or McClement isn't signed. Otherwise, it's two forwards.

This is why I think anyone on a waiver exempt contract is not making the team and will be sent down if Sheahan is signed. Too many one-way contracts. I'd rather see them move a couple players for a better 3C but oh well....

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

if we add Sheahan and nothing else we will have enough cap space to add damn near anyone we want at the deadline. And that's without moving out salary.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Gotta have faith in Sullivan. He's not going to wave his magic wand, but he and the coaching staff can break Sheahan down and build him back up again ala Schultz.

Schultz came in as a flaming bag of **** that more than earned his Jultz moniker and that's why he came with a Kaufmann's basement price tag. Now he's making big coin and to land Schultz in a trade, it would take hefty assets from another team.

Sullivan also took a group of mostly unspectacular blueliners without Letang and held them together with duct tape and krazy glue, yet somehow won another cup.

Seeing him get Sheahan back to the form he showed under Babcock, would be less of a miracle than the ones he performed above IMHO.

I can agree with that. My post was more around level setting expectations for additional acquisitions. If JR trades for Sheahan, he is likely the guy along with any of McKegg, Blueger or Johnson. I'm probably more down on Sheahan than others, but I am confident in Sully.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I guess I need to revisit their cap situation based on these replies.

you're right that it would limit us short term. Adding Sheahan in place of one of the other forwards would leave us with about 2.2 mil. About 1.5 if we keep 14 forwards or 8 D up. Either way that ends up being quite a bit at the deadline.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sheahan scored 2 goals last year. I'm sure the coach not having confidence in him didn't help his cause, but the trade rumors weren't causing him to suck.

Sheahan needs preseason to prove he's a legit NHL 3rd line center. He hasn't inspired much confidence so far. Of course, neither has Pouliot so maybe this is a match made in heaven!

Yea, thats the thing. I'd rather have the Sheahan experiment on the roster than the 3rd round of the Pouliot one atm.

As i pointed out a page back tho, JR has options. If it's Pooh for Sheahan or go with what we have, i'm good either way.

ETA: Also as i posted. If it's Pooh for Shea, JR can keep everyone of significance up and not have to risk them to waivers. He'd simply have to decide if he wanted to keep an Archie vs a McKegg to start...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad