Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
With pictures?

shopping

And instructive connect-the-dots illustrations and puzzles!

You can use crayons! Ask JR to borrow some if you didn't bring your own!

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
WC is pretty insistent on the Penguins having to keep Kessel. Your comparison is nonsense because that's not a scenario that will happen.

We don’t know what will happen if JR is offered a crummy player that some other team wants to get rid of to take Kessel...at this point, it appears he’s so desperate to get rid of him and has no other options than a deal Phil won’t accept, that I could see a really bad outcome for the Pens if they aren’t prepared to keep him if the options all suck

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Trade Maatta for Lehkonen. Dump JJ. Trade Kessel for Subban and restructure his deal for $6 million aav over the next 4 years. Sign a top 6 winger with the extra cap space.

This way we have a plan if Schultz moves on after this year.
Even if Subban stupid enough to be willing to restructure it's not possible.

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
I think you're the first person to ever suggest trying to "replace" Kessel with a 30pt player (aka Simon/Reese/etc). Everyone else has suggested a 2 way 40/50pt player. At which point when you start calculating the gains by not getting scored on as much, the difference becomes a very minimal one. Add in that said player would be better with Malkin and would do more to help Malkin then Kessel does (it wouldn't be hard), and it's very possible that despite having a "worse" player, that you end up with a better team due to the fit of the players. The PP is where we'd see the biggest hit from not having Kessel due to his ability to enter the OZ. However with the players we have here, I'm sure that we could figure that out.

It doesn't matter if there's a team that's "willing to give up a lot" for Kessel, unless Kessel is willing to go there. He can block all but 8 teams in the league... that's a very small list, and there's little chance that one of those 8 is "willing to give up a lot" for him. So yes Kessel's contract does hurt us.

Then on top of that, you have the rumors of there being friction between Kessel and the coaches. Given his past history with other coaches before coming here, this wouldn't really surprise me. You start adding it all up and yes there's some compelling reasons to get rid of him long before the season starts.

Zucker had 42 points last year my bad... I'm not sure i believe that Zucker's defense makes up 40 pts, but even if its a minimal difference it still favors Kessel. Do we know he would be better with Malkin?
The PP takes a huge hit, and we will be in the same boat as places like CAR just begging for someone like Kessel on their PP.

Kessel has waived before, so its very possible he will again. Just because he hasn't waived to go to min doesn't mean that he wouldn't for a different team... And PPG players that are less than 7mil are pretty hard to come by so his contract isn't hurting us. JJ's, Guds, and Maata's are the type that are hurting us actively.

Rumors between two stubborn people is going to happen. Adding it all up and you still should come to a point where you don't sell a PPG player for scraps, desperation lead trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, which is something i would love to avoid with Kessel.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I mean at that point I'd rather keep him than get a 4th.

I don’t think we’ll have that option because I don’t think they’ll keep three goalies, and less than the full amount of forwards and D, on the nhl roster...since they gave him a one way deal, their options are to send him down to the ahl and risk him being picked by another team or trading him...they won’t keep him on the nhl roster unless someone got hurt early...given that, I’d rather they trade him and at least get a 4th

Reactions: Son Goku

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We don’t know what will happen if JR is offered a crummy player that some other team wants to get rid of to take Kessel...at this point, it appears he’s so desperate to get rid of him and has no other options than a deal Phil won’t accept, that I could see a really bad outcome for the Pens if they aren’t prepared to keep him if the options all suck

There is pretty much nothing that supports the idea that Kessel for Phaneuf is even a remotely realistic suggestion. That's enough for me to dismiss the idea entirely.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Zucker had 42 points last year my bad... I'm not sure i believe that Zucker's defense makes up 40 pts, but even if its a minimal difference it still favors Kessel. Do we know he would be better with Malkin?
The PP takes a huge hit, and we will be in the same boat as places like CAR just begging for someone like Kessel on their PP.

Kessel has waived before, so its very possible he will again. Just because he hasn't waived to go to min doesn't mean that he wouldn't for a different team... And PPG players that are less than 7mil are pretty hard to come by so his contract isn't hurting us. JJ's, Guds, and Maata's are the type that are hurting us actively.

Rumors between two stubborn people is going to happen. Adding it all up and you still should come to a point where you don't sell a PPG player for scraps, desperation lead trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, which is something i would love to avoid with Kessel.
Zucker is a good start but I would definiely be more comfortable adding someone else on top of that. Which actually shouldn't be too hard if you can dump JJ.

Nyquist, Johansson, Donskoi, Connolly, etc. There's options.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I can't see us missing the playoffs unless we suffer a lot of injuries. Our roster should be better than it was last year. Mccann and Bjugstad should add a lot more than Sheahan and Brassard did. And losing Kessel may hurt but it depends a lot on the return and on how well Jake fits in that PP slot.

Also if JR gets rid of JJ that goes a long way too.
You can't see us missing after we made the playoffs on game 81 in a year where Sid, Jake, Letang and Murray had absolutely exceptional seasons? Phil's gone and unless the Zucker deal suddenly happens, we're getting dumpster scraps for him. JJ has yet to be moved, same with Maatta. Schultz still doesn't have a partner to allow him to function. Geno's got zero legitimate scoring wingers, and the big names in FA don't look to be realistic options. JR's the guy in charge of fixing all these flaws.

I mean, I guess, but I'll just say I'm not nearly that confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad