Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Maybe.
How do we know Phil wouldn't make Sid's production go completely bananas to have 2 actual scoring wingers for the first time EVER in his career?

Again, the good is the enemy of the great.

Such a line could also crash and burn, but it'd be nice to like actually know that.

But everyone agrees that Sully is supreme coach commander and has never ever made a mistake in terms of line concoctions. He's infallible

No one feels that way about Sullivan and the fact that so many people around here seem to default to it makes this place completely unbearable.

I think all of Peat, myself and Tom Hanks have said we are fine with firing Sullivan.

Reactions: Tom Hanks and Peat

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
No one feels that way about Sullivan and the fact that so many people around here seem to default to it makes this place completely unbearable.

I think all of Peat, myself and Tom Hanks have said we are fine with firing Sullivan.

I think Sully has earned one more year but if the Pens move Kessel and still don't look right then he should be gone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No one is insisting we keep him...who are you directing this at? People are just realistic that we may get no return for him. He’s got a NTC, the only rumored deal he nixed, and the FO won’t consider a futures deal...no one wants him dumped without an OK return...the options are poor to nil...some people would rather have him back than, say, dump him for Phaneuf...we have lots of equally poor fit players we can give up for cap space, like JJ, Maatta, Horny, Rust, Bjug etc...he might have to return

WC is pretty insistent on the Penguins having to keep Kessel. Your comparison is nonsense because that's not a scenario that will happen.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I've completely made peace with the idea that we have a really good chance at missing the playoffs. I don't care about the streak, know this team is critically flawed, and just hope we take the steps to right the ship.

I'd rather miss the playoffs, and badly, securing a top-10 pick, than to make them by the skin of our teeth only to get dismantled in the first round.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe.
How do we know Phil wouldn't make Sid's production go completely bananas to have 2 actual scoring wingers for the first time EVER in his career?

Again, the good is the enemy of the great.

Such a line could also crash and burn, but it'd be nice to like actually know that.

But everyone agrees that Sully is supreme coach commander and has never ever made a mistake in terms of line concoctions. He's infallible

After around 300 minutes of game time, 4 years, lots of training sessions together and what, I think we can safely assume that if Crosby-Kessel was a beautiful butterfly just awaiting its escape from the cocoon, it would have been spotted.

Maybe more game time would have spotted it but there's simply not enough time to test everything that thoroughly and until this year, it pretty much did nothing to make its case.

Also, please toss your hyperbolic strawman in the fire where it belongs.

Not to change the subject that never dies, but this person seems to think we can get a 3rd or 4th for Jarry...is this right? I’m not sure we can get that much...

Tristan Jarry should be a trade chip for the Pittsburgh Penguins

Please change the subject.

And I don't see why we shouldn't get something. I haven't looked hard at backup goaltender trade values, but he is going to do better than somebody else's back up next year, he does still have a shot at being a starter and he's cheap as chips. 3rd or 4th? People spend that on dumber things than Jarry every year.

For reals. I am a fan but also believe there's several alarming red flags and that he basically should have to start hot to save his job.

I mean at that point I'd rather keep him than get a 4th.

There's a pretty solid chance you can't keep him anyway and he's just be blocking Larmi. The only way Jarry should be in the Pens org by the start of next season is if they surprise-trade DeSmith instead.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I've completely made peace with the idea that we have a really good chance at missing the playoffs. I don't care about the streak, know this team is critically flawed, and just hope we take the steps to right the ship.

I'd rather miss the playoffs, and badly, securing a top-10 pick, than to make them by the skin of our teeth only to get dismantled in the first round.

I can't see us missing the playoffs unless we suffer a lot of injuries. Our roster should be better than it was last year. Mccann and Bjugstad should add a lot more than Sheahan and Brassard did. And losing Kessel may hurt but it depends a lot on the return and on how well Jake fits in that PP slot.

Also if JR gets rid of JJ that goes a long way too.

Reactions: TheTang58 and Peat

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well ZAR was actually only scored on 14 times at ES last year so he must be doing something right defensively to help in that regard.

ZAR with Malkin and Hags with Malkin were his two most ES lines.

Seems like Phil just dropped off. At his salary he can’t do that like he did.

Do you honestly think he's in the same tier defensively as Hags, or can hunt down loose pucks on the forecheck like Hags?

These are things that an LW for Geno and Phil need to do.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe the forwards generally regressing defensively, particularly on L2, has at least a little to do with the general **** state of the actual defense and in particular the deployment behind L2? Where both "problem" players generally reside?

Crazy... I know. But I feel like I might be on to something here.

Hold it. Are you suggesting that hockey is a 5 man game? Interesting. Do go on . . .

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Last year we had McCann - Crosby - Jake running effectively and Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist running effectively.

The issue was the 2nd line which caused us to scrape the 1st and 3rd lines that were effective.

You can do three things to solve that.. move Rust, Malkin or Kessel.

Or, and bear with me on this one, because I know it's crazy . . . the coach could've played them together. :laugh:

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This was true 2-3 years ago. I don't believe it's true now. A Hagelin-like LW isn't going to make Kessel make better decisions with the puck, turn the puck over less or play less stupid.

This was true literally this season, no matter how hard people try to ignore or dismiss it to justify the narrative.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The current Penguins roster could be used in an examination of logic on a job application or SAT or something:

Assuming the following are true, construct a roster that leaves no player upset or under-performing:

- Hornqvist can play on all four lines
- Sid does not like to play with Hornqvist
- Kessel can only play on lines 1 or 2
- Kessel requires an offset defensively
- Sid does not like to play with Kessel
- Sid can have success with anyone, until he can't
- ZAR must play
- Guentzel plays well with Sid
- McCann plays well with Sid, but can also play on the third line
- Rust can play on any line
- Bjugstad can play wing or center
- Wilson must play

Once the roster is assembled, defend your roster decisions to armchair-commandos who think they know better. Include at least 3 supporting statements:

Clearly the solution is to **** over Malkin and call him an attitude problem when he doesn't like it. :D

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean everything you posted was ridiculous, so what kind of reply did you expect?

Who is the internal Hagelin replacement. How is nearly half a season putting up cruddy numbers not a red flag?

A fast, defensively responsible winger? I'm sure you can figure it out.

Kessel's numbers aren't a red flag because they're a small sample size with significant variables at play...and he still put up 80+ points.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Do you honestly think he's in the same tier defensively as Hags, or can hunt down loose pucks on the forecheck like Hags?

These are things that an LW for Geno and Phil need to do.

Of course not but the fact he does not get scored on often (which is quite impressive but baffling at the same time) but Phil did just points more to Phil not being what he used to be in terms of D.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If only Sully had given Sprong a legit chance on Malkin's wing ...

Do go on . . .

tenor.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A fast, defensively responsible winger? I'm sure you can figure it out.

Kessel's numbers aren't a red flag because they're a small sample size with significant variables at play...and he still put up 80+ points.

Yes, the Penguins don't have a LWer like that nor do they have someone as high impact. So who are these 2 guys? Because McCann and Rust sure aren't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad