Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Our 5D tends to get about 17 and a half minutes a night iirc. That's enough ice time to justify 4m in if they're actually good and with that sort of ice time, it's a problem if they're not actually good - and I think the hope of boosting the 2nd pairing like mad and riding that all mad so the 3rd pairing is scantily used is a pretty faint one for this summer.

Is any legit source actually putting the Zucker rumor out there? Or is it just more TIOPS bull****?

Not atm.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I could see the following happening which would make sense for both teams...

Bjugstad & Johnson
For
Zucker & Rask

Bjugstad would return home to Minny. Minny saves cap space, gets younger, size and a hometown boy.

Zucker would fit in well with Sid and Guentzel.

JR drafted Rask and can try him out on the 3rd line center (replace Bjugstad). Bye bye Johnson.

Pens add a little bit of salary but overall, the pieces would be better suited for both teams.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Maatta+Rust for Zucker? I’m not sure that would happen though

McCann Sid Jake
Zucker Malkin Hornqvist
Hagelin Bjugstad Fischer
Simon Blueger ZAR

Dumo Letang
GoGo Schultz
Petterson Gundbranson

Murray
DeSmith

Trades:
Phil+JJ for Fischer+GoGo
Maatta+Rust for Zucker

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Bjugstad & Johnson
For
Zucker & Rask

Bjugstad would return home to Minny. Minny saves cap space, gets younger, size and a hometown boy.

JR drafted Rask and can try him out on the 3rd line center (replace Bjugstad). Bye bye Johnson.

Pens add a little bit of salary but overall, the pieces would be better suited for both teams.

I was gonna say Bjugstad would be of interest if they were looking at a guy like Frolik at the deadline.
I'm just not so sure Bjugs is a guy JR wants to move atm.

On the D side of the puck, i'm curious about:

-we know he wants to jettison JJ out
-if he can't do that right out of the gate does he try and flip Olli or Schultz for another pick in this draft(or to make some moves pre-draft)...

I also have to wonder about Rust.
JR knows he has Blueger, A.Johnson, ZAR, Bjorkqvist and about 3 others now that'll cost much less.
Does he view him as expendable to make some moves pre-draft...

I don't think Bjugs and Horny are going anywhere anytime soon.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I'd be disappointed if we traded Rust, not just because he's just one of my personal favorites, but he just seems like that moneyball type of player. Had a bit of an off year last year and still produced 35 points with great two way play. But, I get that he's also one of our best assets to land a bigger fish, so wouldn't be surprised.

Also need to comment on Guds, I've seen a few posts the past page or two labelling him as "young"...he's 27. He should be at his prime right now. Can't comment on his overall play since I missed a ton of games at the end of last year so don't feel like I have a personal sample size, but I have a suspicion that people who think he's going to improve next year will be disappointed.

Reactions: Andy99 and Beauner

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Bjugstad & Johnson
For
Zucker & Rask

Why would Minny agree to the same deal as before, but swapping Kessel for Bjugstad? That doesn't make any sense. I mean, I know Fenton hasn't made himself look good recently but..

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I do think Bjugstad for Zucker is a reasonable base for a deal, but you'd probably have to add something decent on top of Bjugstad to pull it off. With that said, Bjugstad definitely fits what I imagine the Wild would want for Zucker.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
How likely do we think it is that JR could acquire a first for Kessel? Either straight up or part of a package (preferably one that doesn't include our 1st). IF he can do that, he could turn around and flip that for anything that's out there. Kind of a workaround for Phil's NTC.

For instance, we trade Kessel for 14 straight up. That pick should hold value, especially for a team that's running into cap issues. I imagine something could be done around 14 and guys like Tuch (maybe even Marchessault?), Kapanen, possibly even Zucker again. I know Hoffman has been mentioned but not sure if Florida is looking for picks or a hockey trade.

I think at this point that would be the way to go. I think JR needs to make sure he gets a pick in the top 20. I'd even be fine if we had to do Phil+21 for Arizona's 14 and 45, and then trade 14 for someone listed above. Maybe I'm overestimating how much value a pick like 14 wold have, but I think if you're Vegas or Toronto, getting a top 15 pick in exchange for clearing Tuch/Marchessault or Kapanen from your books would be pretty enticing.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
I do think Bjugstad for Zucker is a reasonable base for a deal, but you'd probably have to add something decent on top of Bjugstad to pull it off. With that said, Bjugstad definitely fits what I imagine the Wild would want for Zucker.

If we end up moving JJ and picks are included, I'll prob lose my shit. With that said, I dont think Minny said they were against the JJ part of the deal when it was first posed.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Maatta+Rust for Zucker? I’m not sure that would happen though

McCann Sid Jake
Zucker Malkin Hornqvist
Hagelin Bjugstad Fischer
Simon Blueger ZAR

Dumo Letang
GoGo Schultz
Petterson Gundbranson

Murray
DeSmith

Trades:
Phil+JJ for Fischer+GoGo
Maatta+Rust for Zucker

Minn’s top 4 D is pretty much set unless they are moving someone out. He’d certainly bolster their bottom pair and a guy they can move up for injuries. He’d add to their PK too but I’m not so sure that’s the direction they’d be looking at.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I still don't see how JR fixes this defense. Dumps JMFJ. Great. Dumps Maatta. Good. But I'm not completely sold on Pets being a top 4D, Ruh/Riikola being an everyday player, or Gud being a rock for the 3rd pairing. And even more frightening, Letang, Schultz, or Dumo injuries (which seems like an inevitability with the former 2).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If we end up moving JJ and picks are included, I'll prob lose my ****. With that said, I dont think Minny said they were against the JJ part of the deal when it was first posed.

I think you'd have to put in a substantial add to get that to work, but I'd try to do that too. Especially considering the Penguins would be trading their 3C in that deal, I'd want Rask back to battle it out with Blueger, McCann and possibly Simon to be the 3C.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Bjugstad & Johnson
For
Zucker & Rask

That would be amazing, but not sure why Minny does that.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rust for Zucker is a fair trade value wise but we’re gaining $2 mil in cap space that might not be justified unless 2017-18 Zucker reappears...

But I like Bjug and JJ for Zucker and Rask...I’m not sold on Bjug yet, but I think this is a swap for better players for us, even though we’re still taking on more than $1.5 mil in salary...of course, we’d still need to get rid of either Phil and/or Maatta for more cap space

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I still don't see how JR fixes this defense. Dumps JMFJ. Great. Dumps Maatta. Good. But I'm not completely sold on Pets being a top 4D, Ruh/Riikola being an everyday player, or Gud being a rock for the 3rd pairing. And even more frightening, Letang, Schultz, or Dumo injuries (which seems like an inevitability with the former 2).

You fix some of it by having those players kick on and advance under the coaches, like some of them should. Trying to fix all of our problems with big value trades isn't a feasible option.

Also, by having the forwards actually play some defence.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Before we commit $5.5 million for the next four seasons to Zucker and trade away an asset to get him, we better be 150% certain that he will not wind up on the fourth line by December.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Before we commit $5.5 million for the next four seasons to Zucker and trade away an asset to get him, we better be 150% certain that he will not wind up on the fourth line by December.

I think he might be overpaid and probably isn't a 60 point player, but he's not ending up on the 4th line. At worse, he's on the 3rd line, but I suspect he'd be with Geno.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Idle possibly faulty thought on defence -

Look at the numbers minus Brassard/Sprong/Kessel, our three biggest defensive black holes in the forwards, and compare them to where we were and the rest of the league, and ask how worried we'd be to be there next season. Also, look at the numbers minus Crosby, as taking them out but leaving the arguable Selke candidate in is a bit distorting

First column is where we were, second column is us minus those three, third is us minus all four - all numbers p/60 5v5, number in bracket is position in league that'd put us if you rank teams by those numbers last season

CA - 59 (25) 54.41 (10) 57.87 (18)
SA - 32.31 (25) 28.84 (8) 31.58 (21)
SCA - 25.64 (13) 24.23 (4) 23.76 (3)
HDCA - 10.59 (14) 9.72 (5) 9.43 (3)
GA - 2.23 (6) 2.19 (5) 1.97 (3)
xGA - 2.37 (20) 2.23 (10) 2.21 (10)

So... actually we were better defensively than I realised, and things weren't actually better with Sid, but the general thesis that just removing the worst offenders for disengaged defensive play would make us a better defensive team just like that holds. Admittedly that period of insane defensive play in March probably tilts things, and this doesn't cover the D's need to contribute offensively which is a big problem, but I think its still a solid thought.

Also the difference between our xGA and GA is a big credit to Murray and DeSmith.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad