Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Well, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
More than happy moving on from Brassard... But who will want him except for another contender? He's a rental on a cheap contract.

We might get a couple draft picks for him, that we then can flip later.... maybe.

Seems like a huge risk.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Are we finally coming to the conclusion that we should move on from Brassard or are we still dreaming about what he might look like if he manages to stay healthy and find chemistry as a LW'er or C?
Anybody who has already come to the conclusion that we should move on from brassard is seriously overreacting. It's been 22 healthy games, some very good, with solid production, and broken up with shuffled lines and injury. There's no way that sample should be outweighing the rest of his career. Especially since that sample still includes him scoring more than most 3cs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Even if the Brassard trade ends up being Iginla 2.0, you don't just walk away from him this soon after acquiring him. Let him play out his contract and if he's still not meshing well, just let him walk as a free agent.

Even trading him for another center doesn't make sense, because you're not going to get someone younger or cost controlled for a pending UFA and struggling Brassard. Not only that, but Brassard's play style makes you think he'd fit really well with the Penguins. You can't even bring up the concept of trading him for someone who fits the team better, because he should be fitting this team really well. The only situation where trading Brassard makes sense is if you're making multiple trades in a roster shakeup, and the Penguins are way too good to have an in-season roster shakeup.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Should.

Hasn't.

May not.

Means someone else might.

Once the door of doubt creeps open, it is hard to shut.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Even if the Brassard trade ends up being Iginla 2.0, you don't just walk away from him this soon after acquiring him. Let him play out his contract and if he's still not meshing well, just let him walk as a free agent.

Even trading him for another center doesn't make sense, because you're not going to get someone younger or cost controlled for a pending UFA and struggling Brassard. Not only that, but Brassard's play style makes you think he'd fit really well with the Penguins. You can't even bring up the concept of trading him for someone who fits the team better, because he should be fitting this team really well. The only situation where trading Brassard makes sense is if you're making multiple trades in a roster shakeup, and the Penguins are way too good to have an in-season roster shakeup.

At what point do some start to look towards Sully to share some of the blame??? I never bought into the Sully hype the way some did, he was better than MJ, that's it. JR hit with the right mix of players that brought an added dimension to the team and Sully played his favorites from WBS that also brought youth and energy to the lineup.

I would grade Sully last season a lot more harsh than most here. As to this year, our record doesn't tell the story of our current play. Many games we look slow and have very little puck possession. The exact opposite of the formula that won the last 2 cups. Sully and JR should both be grateful the BIG 4 Stars have been dominant so far and that Murray stole at least 2 games for them on that last road trip.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Put me on the too early to say train for Brassard. Also I've been okay with a lot of what he's done.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Let's say for fun...Nylander's wanting to be traded and just does not want to play for the Leafs anymore.

What would we need to give up to land him? Leafs defense is brutal, I would guess that is where we would need to target, right?

1st, Maatta (yes yes I know...), Lauzon, and a roster player?

Maata and Brassard for Nylander?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
At what point do some start to look towards Sully to share some of the blame??? I never bought into the Sully hype the way some did, he was better than MJ, that's it. JR hit with the right mix of players that brought an added dimension to the team and Sully played his favorites from WBS that also brought youth and energy to the lineup.

I would grade Sully last season a lot more harsh than most here. As to this year, our record doesn't tell the story of our current play. Many games we look slow and have very little puck possession. The exact opposite of the formula that won the last 2 cups. Sully and JR should both be grateful the BIG 4 Stars have been dominant so far and that Murray stole at least 2 games for them on that last road trip.

Well, that is dumb.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Kempe is the only fast player on their team.

Which is probably why they won't trade him.

Teams are quickly realizing how important speed and youth are, the Penguins showed the league that two years in a row.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I should have also included that Rutherford may even be loathe to do that since it means a Top 4 dman (by the Pens' standards) is going out.
Doubt he'd do it as he doesn't trust the defense as it is.

He should be forced into retirement if he’s not willing to do that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
At what point do some start to look towards Sully to share some of the blame???

For Brassard? Not now, and likely never. Several of us questioned the need for Brassard (vs just general quality center depth) in the first place. So the fact that he's not been ideal in controlling the play and tilting the ice while disappointing doesn't really count as a failure on Brassard or Sullivan's end. Rutherford perhaps, but even that's a stretch. He went for overkill, and it didn't work exactly as hoped for. Not the end of the world.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For Brassard? Not now, and likely never. Several of us questioned the need for Brassard (vs just general quality center depth) in the first place. So the fact that he's not been ideal in controlling the play and tilting the ice while disappointing doesn't really count as a failure on Brassard or Sullivan's end. Rutherford perhaps, but even that's a stretch. He went for overkill, and it didn't work exactly as hoped for. Not the end of the world.
it hasn't failed to work either though, unless you count him being injured for the playoffs as a failure. It's way too early to judge that move.

Reactions: Riptide

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
it hasn't failed to work either though, unless you count him being injured for the playoffs as a failure. It's way too early to judge that move.

It's way too early to tell but he has not provided overkill yet. Even when fit.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's way too early to tell but he has not provided overkill yet. Even when fit.

I think that's a fair way to describe things. Yes he's had good games and not, and while it's too early to make any real judgements on him, I think it's fair to say that even when things were going well, he didn't tilt the ice how we would have hoped he would. That said, I think there's still some line combo's we can try to change that a little - especially if Sprong can continue having more games like his last one.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Brassard hasn't been bad, but he's basically a luxury.

I'd rather have traded a 1st round pick for Faksa than traded what we did for Brassard. That said I don't think we gave up a ridiculous amount for Brassard. The issue is Brassard is a top-six player playing on the third line in a checking role. It'd be different if Jordan Staal was our second line center, there could be rotation but Brassard is never regularly playing first or second line center unless there's an injury.

The issue is he was injured for last year's playoffs on a gassed team that played a lot of hockey the previous two seasons. I think it's fair to say he hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do, specifically when it matters. I'm torn, because he's historically a very good playoff performer and would provide our team with fantastic depth down the middle, however he's gotten off to a pretty terrible start this season and signs are showing he doesn't fit. The Penguins could potentially flip him at the trade deadline and get a pretty decent return for him or keep him for the playoffs. I don't think there's a right or wrong move here aside from trading him now. I feel like moving him before the deadline would be the only mistake Rutherford could make.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Brassard hasn't been bad, but he's basically a luxury.

I'd rather have traded a 1st round pick for Faksa than traded what we did for Brassard. That said I don't think we gave up a ridiculous amount for Brassard. The issue is Brassard is a top-six player playing on the third line in a checking role. It'd be different if Jordan Staal was our second line center, there could be rotation but Brassard is never regularly playing first or second line center unless there's an injury.

The issue is he was injured for last year's playoffs on a gassed team that played a lot of hockey the previous two seasons. I think it's fair to say he hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do, specifically when it matters. I'm torn, because he's historically a very good playoff performer and would provide our team with fantastic depth down the middle, however he's gotten off to a pretty terrible start this season and signs are showing he doesn't fit. The Penguins could potentially flip him at the trade deadline and get a pretty decent return for him or keep him for the playoffs. I don't think there's a right or wrong move here aside from trading him now. I feel like moving him before the deadline would be the only mistake Rutherford could make.

I don’t know in what world Faska is costing a 1st..

Probably would’ve been something like Maatta, Sprong and a 1st.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think that's a fair way to describe things. Yes he's had good games and not, and while it's too early to make any real judgements on him, I think it's fair to say that even when things were going well, he didn't tilt the ice how we would have hoped he would. That said, I think there's still some line combo's we can try to change that a little - especially if Sprong can continue having more games like his last one.

He certainly did his first couple games before his injury and Sullivan seemed to allude to his injury this year being something he suffered somewhere in the first couple games.

The third line was our best in the preseason.

Brassard rules and I hope we get to see him healthy so these stupid thoughts can be put to bed.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
He certainly did his first couple games before his injury and Sullivan seemed to allude to his injury this year being something he suffered somewhere in the first couple games.

The third line was our best in the preseason.

Brassard rules and I hope we get to see him healthy so these stupid thoughts can be put to bed.
This is true, I raised the question how they are going to perform in real games when the opponent actually start checking, obstructing, pushing against the wall, He just looks so soft out there, as a center he needs to move that puck through the zone, he needs to push the play, needs to set guys up. he has not shwon any of that in the regular games, the little flashes he shown was with Sid doing all the grinding work...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is true, I raised the question how they are going to perform in real games when the opponent actually start checking, obstructing, pushing against the wall, He just looks so soft out there, as a center he needs to move that puck through the zone, he needs to push the play, needs to set guys up. he has not shwon any of that in the regular games, the little flashes he shown was with Sid doing all the grinding work...
they were dominant vs the Caps in game 1 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad