Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Well, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For a kid they selected that high in the draft... that just seems idiotic. Value wise he would be worth millions to the franchise if they can develop him into the player they thought he could be when they drafted him. Millions upon millions. And they haven't hired a translator or English teacher for him? Seems beyond stupid.

I don't understand this need for teams like the Oilers and Flames that keep prospects and would rather let them rot than move them and find something that works for them and hope that kid works out elsewhere.

Flames did that with Baertschi, almost to the point where he was almost done in the NHL.
Oilers did that with...well, the list is long and I don't want to type out so many names.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What separates a ****ing living legend and hall of famer like Crosby from plebs like the Oilers and their "stars" is the fact that Crosby goes out of his way to make players feel at home, far more than he needs to when the team has people to do that for him.

I still vividly remember the story about when Cullen was signed and he was talking about when Crosby called him up and asked if he wanted someone to go house shopping with.

I don't understand this need for teams like the Oilers and Flames that keep prospects and would rather let them rot than move them and find something that works for them and hope that kid works out elsewhere.

Two reasons.

1) Because for the most part the team is better off if the player busts with them trying to become the star they thought he might be then if he's traded for a marginal return and becomes a star (or even serviceable player) somewhere else. I mean Naslund was traded what... 25 years ago, and we still have some posting about it - and he was much further along in his development and wasn't a top 3 pick.

2) Because while GMs and others talk about how they care about the players... while I don't think they're lying, they're also not being completely honest. Because while we've seen a few players moved over the years so that another organization could give them a better opportunity (Burke waiving Bryzgalov (from ANA) so he could get a chance to be a starter elsewhere is one of several examples of this)... for the most part the GM cares more about his team then he does the player. So while for some players a trade would be in their best interests... it's not something they have control over, and because they have limited value the GM would (understandably) rather hang onto them and hope that things change and they develop into the player they were hoping he would when he was drafted.

Every now and then a GM will come along and do something because they're putting the player first... but overall I'd say that's rather rare. I mean while Rutherford talked about Bennett getting a chance with a different team after he traded him to NJ... what would have the story been if NJ hadn't offered up a 3rd for him? Would he have been here for another season because "we liked him" ??

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't know if I want to take that right now and I was actually one of the few that wanted to make that move as well.

While PulpJunkFarty is bigger and has a better 2-way game, I think Sprong has him beat for the offensive tools that he has in his arsenal. Both are lacking confidence, but our boy Spronger is starting to show it a little more. The Oilers are more in trouble because of how high they selected him. They're already talking about how he could have been a mistake drafting him. Tkachuk would have been the smarter pick and he was taken a few picks later by their cross province rival, lol.

It could be worse, they could have picked Juolevi, a video game addict that derailed his career a little because of a video game, haha.

But in any case, I would be curious about Kassian in our line-up over Grant. Kassian is a bit of a tool, but he skates well and hits like a truck. Imagine the Caps series with Wilson trying to get around Oleksiak trying to murder him and then Kassian. But more importantly, Kassian can play a regular shift as wel and has underrated hands.

I was thinking that someone like Kassian might be someone JR could target. I haven't looked at his salary though, so I have no idea if he can even fit. But especially if Sullivan never gains the kind of trust with Sprong to play him regularly, having a guy like Kassian in the bottom six could be nice.

At the very least, we'd have our own dirtbag for when we play the Caps.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was thinking that someone like Kassian might be someone JR could target. I haven't looked at his salary though, so I have no idea if he can even fit. But especially if Sullivan never gains the kind of trust with Sprong to play him regularly, having a guy like Kassian in the bottom six could be nice.

I don't like his cap hit, but if they would take Grant for him and a pick to retain on salary, I'd do it. Kassian is massive, fast, can chip in and he is a decent fighter and deterrent.

But mostly, he can play a regular shift. Sully does not like pure goons.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

1.95m x 2. Seems hella steep for the player people say he is, although that's often the way with physical guys who aren't totally useless.

I can't see I'm that taken with the idea of giving up cap and assets to boost our bottom 6 at this point.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1.95m x 2. Seems hella steep for the player people say he is, although that's often the way with physical guys who aren't totally useless.

I can't see I'm that taken with the idea of giving up cap and assets to boost our bottom 6 at this point.

Kassian is exactly the type of player we don’t need in our line-up.

If we are going for that type of player I’d rather take a flyer on a Sobotka type that is a LW / Center.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

It's not what people "say he is"...he's not a powerforward top 6 potential player by any means anymore.

What he is, is a feisty checking line forward that is physical, can fight, can definitely skate and can chip in points. But in terms of bringing that "grind" with speed and physicality, Kassian is a fantastic target for the 4th line and if we are in a series where we want to have someone that can take a regular shift in the top 6 for a few shifts to police, he's a good target, yet again.

His cap hit is rough, yeah, but I'd totally love to see him on the 4th line on this team instead of Grant.

I know why the Pens like Grant, he's a W/C.

But the guy is bland.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kassian is exactly the type of player we don’t need in our line-up.

If we are going for that type of player I’d rather take a flyer on a Sobotka type that is a LW / Center.
If Sabotka is available, sure, but I think he's struggling heavily in Buffalo right now because his speed worked better in the West.

He's probably slightly faster than Maatta.

I would love to get Kreider, he's my #1 target. Another would be someone like Danton Heinen or Jimmy Vesey. Both play games that would be great, Heinen would be more ideal since he can play all 3 forward positions and has that non stop motor that could fit Sid's LW like a Kunitz which would give the Pens more flexibility even with Geno.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Other targets - LA Kings...

Kempe is a kid that I think would fit the Pens style really well. Wonder if we can swap Maatta and someone for him and one of their D.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Other targets - LA Kings...

Kempe is a kid that I think would fit the Pens style really well. Wonder if we can swap Maatta and someone for him and one of their D.

What of Pearson at 4mil maybe. He's having a slow start. Not sure it's slow enough for LAK to trade though.

I'd almost take old man Trevor Lewis for bottom lines. But I'm but even sure. 2mil is a lot. And I mean we need a top six LW so getting a bottom six guy at 2 mil solves f***ing nothing. I'm dumb.

Kempe is interesting. Would be quite a snag considering his NHL career is just starting to take off. Although, he too is having a terribly slow start to the year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What of Pearson at 4mil maybe. He's having a slow start. Not sure it's slow enough for LAK to trade though.

I'd almost take old man Trevor Lewis for bottom lines. But I'm but even sure. 2mil is a lot. And I mean we need a top six LW so getting a bottom six guy at 2 mil solves ****ing nothing. I'm dumb.

Kempe is interesting. Would be quite a snag considering his NHL career is just starting to take off. Although, he too is having a terribly slow start to the year.
99% of that Kings team is having a rough go. Ripe for the picking.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What about a guy like Fiala? I think with Hartman there and doing well, it's put Fiala in a bad spot. Kid is fast and not Sheary spastic either.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
What about a guy like Fiala? I think with Hartman there and doing well, it's put Fiala in a bad spot. Kid is fast and not Sheary spastic either.

It's surprising that his shattered femur has not affected him very negatively.

Do you think Nashville would ever trade with Pittsburgh?

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
So what should we be looking for at this early point in the season to snatch up at the deadline?

Its early so most teams are still technically in it still. Plus I am at work so I havent researched any possible trade baits that are pending UFAs.

Looks to me like a solid #3 defenseman would be nice. Along with a LW?

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
So what should we be looking for at this early point in the season to snatch up at the deadline?

Its early so most teams are still technically in it still. Plus I am at work so I havent researched any possible trade baits that are pending UFAs.

Yup. Either big body LW or big skill LW. Gotta be capable of top six play. Bottom six LW doesn't help much, we got that covered.

Basically any defense. 2-4 more important. Current players can be sent out to achieve this. The defense is mostly bad so any part can be upgraded.

The biggest problem is they'll need to money out=money in on these trades. Pens don't have much cap room. And the players they would likely want to jettison may not have cost for skill that other teams will want to deal with.

(Maatta for instance, yes he isn't terrible, but he's $4mil...What team wants to give us multiple players on ELC to equal that? What other $4mil defender will another team realistically swap for Maatta that's gonna improve the Pens?).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's not what people "say he is"...he's not a powerforward top 6 potential player by any means anymore.

What he is, is a feisty checking line forward that is physical, can fight, can definitely skate and can chip in points. But in terms of bringing that "grind" with speed and physicality, Kassian is a fantastic target for the 4th line and if we are in a series where we want to have someone that can take a regular shift in the top 6 for a few shifts to police, he's a good target, yet again.

His cap hit is rough, yeah, but I'd totally love to see him on the 4th line on this team instead of Grant.

But the guy is bland.

That is the sort of player people say he is and that's what I'm not keen on paying 1.95m for.

Would I prefer seeing him on the 4th line ahead of Grant? Yes, but not enough to pay. Particularly when Grant doesn't play every game anyway (would I pay to see him ahead of Sprong/Cullen? No) and there's a good chance his place gets taken by kids from WBS anyway. If we're lucky one of those kids is Angello, who looks like he can do everything Kassian can anyway.

And this is without touching on the point that right now our defence looks a lot more in need of resources than our forwards.

About the size of it. I'm not sure about the LW yet but there's a good chance that'll be the case. The defence may settle but I'm losing optimism.

The issue is the list of potential defence rentals looks a bit meh. The market's going to be awash with quality forwards, but not dmen.

In any case I'd rather strike a little earlier and aim at misfits with term.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

But the guy is bland.

Yeah, I'm not sure what people think Kassian is, but the guy would definitely be an asset for our 4th line.

Obviously depends on price to acquire, but he's perfectly capable of playing the style that Sullivan loves. He'd add another guy who could PK, is skilled enough to take the odd shift with Geno or Sid, and adds a physical element our bottom six currently doesn't have.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think if JR is looking at this team and not seeing that we need to upgrade the defense, he's doing this team a disservice. Johnson I still feel will adjust, he can skate, he can hit, he's got some decent offensive instincts and will still need time to adjust. But then there are guys that this team needs to take a hard look at and move. Yeah, that means Maatta. Also, Murray is back to being up and down.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I think if JR is looking at this team and not seeing that we need to upgrade the defense, he's doing this team a disservice. Johnson I still feel will adjust, he can skate, he can hit, he's got some decent offensive instincts and will still need time to adjust. But then there are guys that this team needs to take a hard look at and move. Yeah, that means Maatta. Also, Murray is back to being up and down.
Agreed but the bolded underlined has been so :deadhorse by you that it's now glue! :laugh:

This said our D ain't that bad with a healthy Schultz and Tanger.

JR is just betting on full offensive throttle, get the puck to the O zone (layer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad