Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | We’re going down, down in an earlier round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Thats the thing. I think if you trade Kessel Hornqvist and Maatta... You target shedding salary and getting picks and prospects rather than a lesser players plus lesser picks and prospects.

If Calgary or the Jets go out in the first I bet they would pay a premium for Hornqvist. A high end prospect and a 2nd works... If the Pens take a player back make it a low first.

The Pens need a dynamite draft and I think this draft is deeper than being talked about... Picks are needed.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Even though they won’t be the most dominant at their position anymore, Crosby and Malkin can be PPG players well into their mid 30s. Few teams right now enjoy the luxury of having two pivots that can do the ppg thing.

Even if they fall to 70 point players, that’s still quite productive in today’s NHL. I have to look, but I bet only a few teams had 2 70+ point pivots this past season.

Pens just need to get younger and more skilled around these two, because if they keep going down this path it’s going to be a hard crash that takes years to fix.

If they step back for a year or two now, but build great depth again, they could have a couple years to chase another cup while Crosby and Malkin are still productive.

The caps sort of achieved this with their luck of Drafting Kuzentsov, he's only 26 and had a down year but has soooo much talent

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The caps sort of achieved this with their luck of Drafting Kuzentsov, he's only 26 and had a down year but has soooo much talent

Sadly over the years, this org has kind of brainwashed the fan base into thinking Crosby and Malkin have to do everything for this team to be successful.

I see no reason if you build well around them, that they can’t make some serious cup runs when they are in their mid 30s, even if that means they are now 70 point players.

That’s still better than almost a majority of NHL teams have at both their top two pivot spots.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Sadly over the years, this org has kind of brainwashed the fan base into thinking Crosby and Malkin have to do everything for this team to be successful.

I see no reason if you build well around them, that they can’t make some serious cup runs when they are in their mid 30s, even if that means they are now 70 point players.

That’s still better than almost a majority of NHL teams have at both their top two pivot spots.
Exactly... Like an older Mario playing off Jagr.

Let the wingers take pucks up the ice. Ive wanted that transition for the longest time.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD

You're not wrong. Im hoping they age as well as or better than Dats and Zetterberg, and during that time they acquire young skilled players. Kills me to this day that we missed out on Barzal. I think JR sees the writing on the wall with keeping this years 1st. However i'm willing to bet he had deals in place with the 1st involved, that ended up falling through

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Here's another perspective on what the Pens should do...says use Chicago as a model...meaning suck for a couple years

Penguins must go backward to go forward – just like the Blackhawks have - TheHockeyNews

I've been wondering about such a model. The question here is whether you think the current larger core has more than a "Well, if everything catches fire at the same time, watch out" punchers' chance with only a few moves. If the answer is No, then the logical move is to burn down large parts of said core, because you still have that punchers' chance and it increases your chances two years down the line a lot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Even though they won’t be the most dominant at their position anymore, Crosby and Malkin can be PPG players well into their mid 30s. Few teams right now enjoy the luxury of having two pivots that can do the ppg thing.

Even if they fall to 70 point players, that’s still quite productive in today’s NHL. I have to look, but I bet only a few teams had 2 70+ point pivots this past season.

Pens just need to get younger and more skilled around these two, because if they keep going down this path it’s going to be a hard crash that takes years to fix.

If they step back for a year or two now, but build great depth again, they could have a couple years to chase another cup while Crosby and Malkin are still productive.

Don't disagree, but they are going to have to build that young depth via trade and not the draft. They have very little pipeline of young talent up front outside of complimentary pieces.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I've been wondering about such a model. The question here is whether you think the current larger core has more than a "Well, if everything catches fire at the same time, watch out" punchers' chance with only a few moves. If the answer is No, then the logical move is to burn down large parts of said core, because you still have that punchers' chance and it increases your chances two years down the line a lot.

Yeah, I mean Chicago hasn't really torn down its "core" though when you think about it. Toews, Kane (still great to very good players) are there, as is Keith (serviceable but not good anymore) and Seabrook (horrible) and Crawford (good when healthy). They can't get out of the bad contracts...what they've done is stripped out or traded the rest of the higher priced D for defense draft picks and much younger players, and turned their other good wingers who they were paying mid-tier prices for into more cost-controlled and younger players...sometimes one player for two, like they did in getting Strome and Perlini...what we need to do is turn Kessel and Horny into two younger, good but maybe not as good, players or prospects and try to start shedding JJ, Guds, Maatta and maybe Schultz from the backend...

Reactions: Peat

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
The only thing about Guds that I want gone, is like half or maybe 2/3rds his salary. Otherwise he was solid for us in a shitty series, and he will finally get JR to stop trying to replace Coles toughness. Because you know he want's at least one guy on the team who won't get beat the f*** up by Wilson

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Love the candid nature of these quotes, but the defensiveness is palpable. :laugh: Tanger should not ready any media.

Also says he was "completely healthy", which is a sigh of relief. I thought for sure his neck was still all janky.

I want to believe, Jiggy... but I think Malkin is going to age like a fine glass of hot milk.
I'm inclined to agree. I'm not worried about Sid at all, he'll be a 60 point guy until he's like 40. Geno's bouts with injury worry me. He's seemingly always fighting something, coming back from injury, or injured entirely.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD

Love the candid nature of these quotes, but the defensiveness is palpable. :laugh: Tanger should not ready any media.

Also says he was "completely healthy", which is a sigh of relief. I thought for sure his neck was still all janky.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm not worried about Sid at all, he'll be a 60 point guy until he's like 40. Geno's bouts with injury worry me. He's seemingly always fighting something, coming back from injury, or injured entirely.

Yikes Tanger, you can see how he used to lose his shit on the ice when he was younger

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah the injury thing plus I'm now not sure how capable he is of changing his game as he ages. Dude is still damning the torpedoes and trying to beat 4 guys at this stage in his career far too often. But we'll see... probably.

And wow... Tanger got a big mad. Geez.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Glad Letang is as tired of our media’s BS as I am.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm almost certain JR is going to go all-out after someone this summer. I'd like to think it's Skinner, as he'd be a phenomenal fit, and JR's familiar with the guy.

But we're going to end up with the broken down body of Wayne Simmonds or something for $8 million.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

16712058_10208780509693828_2214947101796223612_n-e1488455819392.jpg

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Glad Letang is as tired of our media’s BS as I am.

The thing is, that's the Pens system. They want the d pinching aggressively like that.

If they want Letang to stop doing it, that starts with Sullivan changing the system. And he won't, because that's how he wants to play. So we need the personnel to be able to defend adequately while playing that way, and right now we don't have that.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I want to believe, Jiggy... but I think Malkin is going to age like a fine glass of hot milk.

Malkin's defensive game is going to age horribly. I don't care how incensed his biggest fans get by the idea, he should be converted to a winger as soon as next year depending on what the team construction looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad