Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | We’re going down, down in an earlier round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’s not foot speed...it’s playing fast, high tempo, which requires good hockey IQ and good puck skills more than foot speed...

BTW, I don’t see the Kings and Anaheim winning anytime soon...you don’t need to be big and plodding and bad transitioning the puck to be “physical,” particularly in the POs

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It’s not foot speed...it’s playing fast, high tempo, which requires good hockey IQ and good puck skills more than foot speed...

BTW, I don’t see the Kings and Anaheim winning anytime soon...you don’t need to be big and plodding and bad transitioning the puck to be “physical,” particularly in the POs

Not sure who you are responding to, but I never stated to become your bastardized description. Read again what I posted and get back to me if you care. If not, I'm heading out for icecream and bikini's

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I just don't even know how to dissect these quotes, man. :laugh: How on earth does a guy paid handsomely to make these decisions not see things are big-time messed up right now, and only stand to get worse? :laugh:

The man's completely lost touch. He's just doubling down all over the place and seems to outright refuse to acknowledge the current style of the NHL--the style that his own team coined a few years ago, was wildly successful, and everyone since has been copying. :laugh:

Yeah, I do. I'd rather Petts get the Dumo treatment and be allowed to develop in WBS, playing big minutes in all situations, than to plonk him on a bottom pairing with someone like Gudbranson or JJ.

Petts was one of the better in a collection of pretty miserable performances by our blueline this post-season, but he's still pretty damn raw and prone to issues in his own right.

I'm not sure it's possible considering how much work needs to be done (JJ out, Maatta out, are we truly happy with Gudbranson?) but in a vacuum, yeah. I'd rather we give Petts another year in WBS. This season coming up is probably going to be a transition season anyway with the stuff JR's likely to do this summer in moving multiple, significant pieces for god knows what.

I'd say 25-26 is still young. That's half a decade younger than the core now, who are just starting to approach the inevitable slowdown that comes with age.

Nobody's advocating going after young players with no regard to their talent or fit. I specified a few pages back that age should be right around the top of the list, but that's assuming speed, skill and fit are the top.

Buddy if you think Sully's the problem in the face of all these JR quotes, yikestown.

Sully coaches this team to back to back Cups and instills an identity in this organization for the first time in like a decade, with a system that runs on the blueline being able to skate/move pucks out of danger and up to their forwards in a hurry, and JR gives him this blueline corps... And it's somehow Sully's fault for not being able to "adapt" to make a bunch of slow, ineffective and vanilla guys successful in a landscape of fast, aggressive, forechecking teams?

If you can find the coach that can get a blueline with Jack Johnson, Olli Maatta, Erik Gudbranson and the ghost of Justin Schultz to be successful in the face of any number of fast, aggressive teams, I'll drive to Pittsburgh myself and try to arrange a meeting between he and JR. :laugh:
Well chip and chase, sending 3 guys to every puck and the ColLaPSe has been figured out.

Sullivan's a good coach... Better than Bylsma but he's just your typical coach.

I like transition wingers and we haven't really seen that around Crosby and Malkin.

Its not like Cole Schultz and Daley were some coveted defensemen. They were pretty much cast aways.

I know its easy to blame JJ and Gudbranson but in the end the guys playing bad and costing the Pens was Dumo Schultz and Letang. The guys getting the most money and playing the most time. The entire defense was terrible... That's on the coach.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
And again I will once again state, it will be nearly impossible to become a top 3 team in speed moving forward. I have no problem adding fast players, but that shouldn't be the primary focus. They should fit into the new system that frustrates FAST teams.

Fast teams capitalize on mistakes created. it's not as impossible as you think, it's how it perceives they are playing sitting back waiting for those mistakes.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not sure who you are responding to, but I never stated to become your bastardized description. Read again what I posted and get back to me if you care. If not, I'm heading out for icecream and bikini's

It was you and a couple other posters combined, but I’ll just say that the successful teams, whatever “structure” or “style” they’re playing, are mostly successful in the POs these days playing fast, and again that’s not footspeed...the Isles played their game faster than we played ours...that and an excellent goalie led to our downfall imo...I don’t think JJ, Maatta, Guds and some of our forwards play “fast” and that might be because they’re unsure what they’re doing but whatever...

I’d rather go out for ice cream and bikinis too...just not bikinis on me...my hairy chest doesn’t really look good underneath the top...

Reactions: John Titor

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm really curious to see what the Penguins do with their glut of mediocre depth forwards this off-season. JR makes it sound like there will be changes this off-season, but you won't be making changes if you're clinging onto guys like Simon and ZAR. Jiggy has said that the team loves ZAR, so I doubt he moves, but I wonder how they feel about Simon.

I really want to cut out some of the ultra vanilla players on this team and get players with at least some sort of unique trait. Whether it's someone with Hagelin's speed or Tom Wilson's physicality doesn't make much of a difference to me, I just want someone who does something more than just being there. It may come as a surprise based on my defenses of ZAR in the past, but he'd be one of the first guys I'd be trying to move out. He's not nearly consistent enough with playing physically for me to want to keep him. Bjugstad, Rust, Simon, ZAR, Cullen (I don't re-sign him under any circumstance), Johnson (because he's bad more so than vanilla) and Maatta would all be on the chopping block for me, and Schultz (if he doesn't get back to his 2017 form) and Gudbranson (if he regresses back to Badbranson) can end up on this list next season too. No more Sheahans or Spalings or Winniks, bring in players with something unique to at least start generating an identity.

If you want to be a fast team with good puck movers, I'm all for that strategy. Target guys like McCann, Archibald and 2016 Rust to fill out the forward group and get a strong 2-way puck mover to play with Schultz. If you want to be a more physical team, I'm fine with that too. Target a Ferland type of LWer for Malkin and a Manson type of defenseman for the 2nd pair. Just stop with the bland and vanilla players.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A Hawks fan just threw out Saad, Perlini and Chad Krys for Kessel and a value balancing asset, would you make that trade? Perlini's an interesting name as a 3rd line goal scorer, which is what I think a LWer for Hornqvist and Bjugstad should be.
No one has ever mentioned Perlini. And no one got crapped on for mentioning it as Perlini being a Rust type player that we didn't need.

No one definitely brought that up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No one has ever mentioned Perlini. And no one got crapped on for mentioning it as Perlini being a Rust type player that we didn't need.

No one definitely brought that up.

To be fair, Perlini was ass last season. I'd mostly be interested in him to gamble on his potential upside as a middle-6 goal scorer, but he's not the big part of that deal. He's arguably the tertiary piece in that trade.

Perlini is an interesting option though, where I can actually see a Perlini for Rust deal happening. Perlini hasn't been great with Chicago and Hawks fans seem to think they're lacking in 2-way wingers. The Penguins can't score goals, so it's obvious to see where Perlini would help. The Penguins also get a good bit younger, so it's a positive move from that POV too.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm really curious to see what the Penguins do with their glut of mediocre depth forwards this off-season. JR makes it sound like there will be changes this off-season, but you won't be making changes if you're clinging onto guys like Simon and ZAR. Jiggy has said that the team loves ZAR, so I doubt he moves, but I wonder how they feel about Simon.

I really want to cut out some of the ultra vanilla players on this team and get players with at least some sort of unique trait. Whether it's someone with Hagelin's speed or Tom Wilson's physicality doesn't make much of a difference to me, I just want someone who does something more than just being there. It may come as a surprise based on my defenses of ZAR in the past, but he'd be one of the first guys I'd be trying to move out. He's not nearly consistent enough with playing physically for me to want to keep him. Bjugstad, Rust, Simon, ZAR, Cullen (I don't re-sign him under any circumstance), Johnson (because he's bad more so than vanilla) and Maatta would all be on the chopping block for me, and Schultz (if he doesn't get back to his 2017 form) and Gudbranson (if he regresses back to Badbranson) can end up on this list next season too. No more Sheahans or Spalings or Pearsons, bring in players with something unique to at least start generating an identity.

Unfortunately we’ll have no cap space to upgrade on the mediocre depth forwards like ZAR and Simon, unless he’s getting rid of Bjug or Rust along with at least two D men...since he likes the D, scratch that off the list...in other words, I don’t see how we’re not stuck with even more mediocre depth forwards if his main move is to trade a top 6 winger in Phil, who’s not mediocre...he has to be willing to recognize this D is way overpriced as the second most expensive D in the league and do something about it, or we won’t have the space to upgrade on some of those players (btw I think he’s going to give both FLA boys more time)...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Unfortunately we’ll have no cap space to upgrade on the mediocre depth forwards like ZAR and Simon, unless he’s getting rid of Bjug or Rust along with at least two D men...since he likes the D, scratch that off the list...in other words, I don’t see how we’re not stuck with even more mediocre depth forwards if his main move is to trade a top 6 winger in Phil, who’s not mediocre...he has to be willing to recognize this D is way overpriced as the second most expensive D in the league and do something about it, or we won’t have the space to upgrade on some of those players (btw I think he’s going to give both FLA boys more time)...

I expect the Penguins to trade Kessel and Maatta, so cap space isn't really much of a concern for me. In my eyes, the Penguins are $6 million below the cap for next year already because those 2 aren't on the team anymore.

I'm leaning towards expecting a small youth movement this off-season, with the Penguins trading Rust and Kessel and getting back young forwards like Perlini or Fischer. JR's quotes make me think he's going to be trading guys from those 2 cup winners and target youth that may fit well with Malkin or Crosby, so trading guys like Kessel and Rust and bringing in guys like Perlini and Fischer makes a lot of sense to me.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To be fair, Perlini was ass last season. I'd mostly be interested in him to gamble on his potential upside as a middle-6 goal scorer, but he's not the big part of that deal. He's arguably the tertiary piece in that trade.

Perlini is an interesting option though, where I can actually see a Perlini for Rust deal happening. Perlini hasn't been great with Chicago and Hawks fans seem to think they're lacking in 2-way wingers. The Penguins can't score goals, so it's obvious to see where Perlini would help. The Penguins also get a good bit younger, so it's a positive move from that POV too.
I feel like that no one also mentioned Saad, with out the extra junk.

But no one would like to add in ZAR, Sully, pens fan Pixies, and Jack Johnson in this deal as well.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If you move horny, Kessel (both cuz our coach can't use them in the top 6 effectively for whatever reason) and dump Maatta and Johnson, the team has the cap to go with a really deep line up. Just not so many high end guys.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Kessel for Radulov please, i think we would need to add some. But they make similar money at the moment
we would fall in love with Radulov so fast. He's got the heart and soul of Horny and he plays like the Monstar version of Rust/McCann with way more skill.

Wish he was a touch younger, but maybe the KHL stint was a vacation to him like Jagr.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If you move horny, Kessel (both cuz our coach can't use them in the top 6 effectively for whatever reason) and dump Maatta and Johnson, the team has the cap to go with a really deep line up. Just not so many high end guys.

Yeah, by his comments I’m not sure he’s trading anyone you mentioned except Phil, certainly not the person he should trade first, which is JJ...trading Phil better get some quality non-vanilla forwards back and if it doesn’t, then we haven’t improved the forward depth...I don’t think he’s getting that back for Phil but we’ll see...if you’re moving out Phil and not getting at least one 60+ point forward back, even if that’s in FA, then that trade was stupid...especially if your goal is to get less mediocre at forward

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
we would fall in love with Radulov so fast. He's got the heart and soul of Horny and he plays like the Monstar version of Rust/McCann with way more skill.

Wish he was a touch younger, but maybe the KHL stint was a vacation to him like Jagr.
Hahahahhaahha

Have you met our fan base? The holier than thou types of f***ers that are in decent numbers here didn't event want Radulov as a free agent because according to them he was a terrible team mate said literally no one who has played with him has said, except for a faction of tools here that hate on guys like him that we could have had, like our group of guys are saints.

Reactions: Trade

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Hahahahhaahha

Have you met our fan base? The holier than thou types of ****ers that are in decent numbers here didn't event want Radulov as a free agent because according to them he was a terrible team mate said literally no one who has played with him has said, except for a faction of tools here that hate on guys like him that we could have had, like our group of guys are saints.

Not me... I yearned for him. His style fits Geno like a glove and he plays with an edge. He's a much more complete version of James Neal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hey... what's Tomas Kaberle and Tequila Joe Corvo up to? Those seem like pretty reasonable JR targets.

I would suggest signing Glen Wesley for some vet forward depth a la Cullen. But JR simply doesn't have three first rounders to give up this time around.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hey... what's Tomas Kaberle and Tequila Joe Corvo up to? Those seem like pretty reasonable JR targets.

I would suggest signing Glen Wesley for some vet forward depth a la Cullen. But JR simply doesn't have three first rounders to give up this time around.

Don't be silly. Kaberle moves the puck too well and isn't physical enough to help this defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad