Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
One thing to remember though is that the Leafs are flush with comparable prospects. They lose one, and they have others. The Pens lose one, and the cupboard is pretty much bare.

Exactly... that is the perks of being meh for as long as they were.

If they continue to be an annual contender now like we have for the next 10 or so years. They will eventually get to where we are as they trade away picks and prospects to boost the team during the deadline every yr like we did.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Yeah I'm going to call bull**** on Maatta being traded to Montreal. We can't lose another dman without a top 4 dman coming back in another deal. Any Maatta trade needs to be part of a blockbuster IMO and that seems like a hard deal to make in season.

I agree. I'm confused as to what would be the return if we were to send Olli to MTL.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I agree. I'm confused as to what would be the return if we were to send Olli to MTL.

Danault was the only guy that made sense to me before this year, but Danault has exploded into a legit 2C this year with Montreal. The Penguins wouldn't be able to get him in exchange for Maatta, or if they could, I'd personally drive Maatta to the airport (remember, I just posted that trading Maatta is an incredibly bad idea).

Reactions: USMC607

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I need to reiterate, trading Maatta is a horrendously bad idea right now. The defense just can't afford to trade Maatta right now, even with him struggling.

Agreed- they need to IMPORT a Dman at this point, not send 1 out. Because who draws in?
Realize that Schultz is coming back but by that time you hopefully ship another guy out when you see what is working.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Agreed- they need to IMPORT a Dman at this point, not send 1 out. Because who draws in?
Realize that Schultz is coming back but by that time you hopefully ship another guy out when you see what is working.

They probably need to ship Johnson out and bring in a strong RD to play with Maatta on the 2nd pair, but good luck being able to do that in the regular season. This isn't a shot at Johnson being bad or anything like that, it's just that they need a #3 RD and Johnson and Schultz aren't that.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
They probably need to ship Johnson out and bring in a strong RD to play with Maatta on the 2nd pair, but good luck being able to do that in the regular season. This isn't a shot at Johnson being bad or anything like that, it's just that they need a #3 RD and Johnson and Schultz aren't that.

Eh I'm on the hate JJ train, so I think he's addition by subtraction. I think Ruh is going to be fine on the bottom pair. He essentially needs to just not get scored on and we'll call it a win.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Eh I'm on the hate JJ train, so I think he's addition by subtraction. I think Ruh is going to be fine on the bottom pair. He essentially needs to just not get scored on and we'll call it a win.

But he did get scored on. He’s basically on the ice for a goal against per game but only on the ice for a goal once every 5 or 6 games.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
At this point Maatta out has to be linked with a replacement coming back, but it can be rental.

Dumoulin Letang
XXXXX Schultz
Pettersson JMFJ
Riikola Ruhwedel

The above looks great if the XXXXX is a legit 2nd pairing D to run with Schultz. It looks like garbage if XXXXX is one of Pettersson, JMFJ, Riikola or Ruhwedel being slid up the lineup and backfilled by others. Pettersson and Riikola can be fixtures on D starting next season, but I don't think I want them both in the lineup full time for the playoffs.

Reactions: Riptide

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
But he did get scored on. He’s basically on the ice for a goal against per game but only on the ice for a goal once every 5 or 6 games.

Yea I saw your other post on his stats. Maybe he eventually shakes off the rust...he's shown previously (in the past few seasons) to be an ok bottom pairing guy.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yea I saw your other post on his stats. Maybe he eventually shakes off the rust...he's shown previously (in the past few seasons) to be an ok bottom pairing guy.

Yeah maybe. If he played mainly in November that would have made most players stats pretty bad. It was a terrible month but going into the playoffs you’d want him as a #8 at best based on right now.

Agree he has been good as a 6/7 guy in previous years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Danault was the only guy that made sense to me before this year, but Danault has exploded into a legit 2C this year with Montreal. The Penguins wouldn't be able to get him in exchange for Maatta, or if they could, I'd personally drive Maatta to the airport (remember, I just posted that trading Maatta is an incredibly bad idea).

Paul Byron would be awesome.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
From what I’ve read it’d be more like 1st, Hallander and Addison. When it comes to prospects different teams can rate them differently but it’d be around that I’d imagine.

Both teams got what they wanted. Win win at this stage.

As Pensburgh pointed out, Grundstrom and Durzi are very similar in terms of pedigree and expectation to Bjorkqvist and Addison, so that'd probably be the like for like.

I dunno whether I'd have done it but I wouldn't rule it out.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Trading Maatta for depth LWers is so so stupid.
If that's all we'd get back you'd be right. It just depends on if other pieces are involved. I'm all for trading OM but the player(s) coming back have to offer good value.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can they actually get worse? That gap control is bruuuuutal.

Im actually a fan of Maatta but hes not giving us 4.1 worth. That's for damn sure.

That's sure as hell not a bear I want to poke right now.

Just get Schultz back and pray the bottom-4 figures its stuff out (or get lucky and replace Johnson with a #3 PMD). If Schultz can come back like the puckmover he was before the injury, I think it will go a long way to fixing the problems on this team.

Last edited:

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If that's all we'd get back you'd be right. It just depends on if other pieces are involved. I'm all for trading OM but the player(s) coming back have to offer good value.
Maatta and Brassard out for a 3C and a LW.
2nd out for a rental D man like 2017 Hainsey to pair with Schultz.

2019 Playoffs:
Dumoulin Letang
Rental Schultz
Pettersson JMFJ
Riikola Ruhwedel

2019-2020
Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Schultz
Riikola JMFJ
Ruhwedel

Maybe I am overconfident in Pettersson but I think he slots into the 2nd pairing sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Trade

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't see JR doing anything else with the def.

JR is about as transparent as you can be.

The local media knew from JR that Grant Big Rig and Brass were going to get traded.

If JR was looking to trade Maatta or trying to upgrade the Def we would know about it because JR tells the world what hes planning to do.

Reactions: Badfish87

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't see JR doing anything else with the def.

JR is about as transparent as you can be.

The local media knew from JR that Grant Big Rig and Brass were going to get traded.

If JR was looking to trade Maatta or trying to upgrade the Def we would know about it because JR tells the world what hes planning to do.
Which is why most of the blame for this team’s performance is on him. Our D looks like the Carolina special from 08-2012.

Overpaid mediocrity on every pairing outside of Dumo and Letang and even Dumo has been slightly frustrating this year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Maatta and Brassard out for a 3C and a LW.
2nd out for a rental D man like 2017 Hainsey to pair with Schultz.

2019 Playoffs:
Dumoulin Letang
Rental Schultz
Pettersson JMFJ
Riikola Ruhwedel

2019-2020
Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Schultz
Riikola JMFJ
Ruhwedel

Maybe I am overconfident in Pettersson but I think he slots into the 2nd pairing sooner rather than later.
This is where I'm at as well. We don't need to get a high end rearguard back. Someone of Hainseys ilk would be just fine IMO. And the cost wouldn't be exorbitant. Trading Maatta and Brass is the right thing to do, provided JR gets good value. Of course what is good value can be subjective depending on who you ask.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Which is why most of the blame for this team’s performance is on him. Our D looks like the Carolina special from 08-2012.

Overpaid mediocrity on every pairing outside of Dumo and Letang and even Dumo has been slightly frustrating this year.

No it doesn't. Letang being here basically makes that comparison moot, because Carolina never had a Letang caliber defensemen over those years. Their #1 defenseman was Joni Pitkanen.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad