Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Uncoachable & The Unmovable: The Tale of The American Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Btw, if anyone cares about who had the highest secondary assists p/60 last season, it was ZAR.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lets turn the Kessel trade thing onto its head -

What does Malkin really need?

For me, I'd put a big premium on a line where Malkin spends less time in the corners than he currently does.

I also think he could really use some help in the neutral zone. He got swarmed a lot last year when trying to transition the puck and having a few outlets or guys to play with would help a lot.

And obviously, he's gonna be in the offensive zone a lot, so the more help there the better.

I've kinda talked myself into wanting to see McCann-Malkin-Simon some time. Obviously I'd like something more proven, but I feel like they've got all the tools he wants there other than big physicality.

I'm not even sure I know what McCann is yet tbh.

I am going to laugh though if we do bring Hagelin back as we send Kessel away.

I think your assessment of what G needs is spot on...but ideally one of the two wings has to be a good enough goal scorer though to take advantage of G drawing in the D...I’m not convinced that Simon or McCann are...I think at least one winger needs to be a top player in order to draw off some of the D that are crowding G ...as someone else noted, G gets less time and space than Sid does these days...ideally, someone like a Panarin or Stone would be one of G’s wingers...since we’re unlikely to get that, as Rip suggested, Jake is the best bet there...Jake and one of Simon, McCann or Rust would be ideal...

I like Hags. But we need to get younger. I hope they put the kibosh on the reunion tour...

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

For me, I'd put a big premium on a line where Malkin spends less time in the corners than he currently does.

I also think he could really use some help in the neutral zone. He got swarmed a lot last year when trying to transition the puck and having a few outlets or guys to play with would help a lot.

And obviously, he's gonna be in the offensive zone a lot, so the more help there the better.

I've kinda talked myself into wanting to see McCann-Malkin-Simon some time. Obviously I'd like something more proven, but I feel like they've got all the tools he wants there other than big physicality.

In the past, his best lines always seemed to be a combo of a shooter and then a guy who’s good defensively/capable of doing the dirty work. I definitely see JR going hard after Ferland, and even though I don’t agree with the price he’s probably going to get, he seems like the type of player that would work well with Malkin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I’d hate if we brought back Hags.

I think Malkin needs players like Fedotenko Hagelin and Talbot, but more consistent. Defensively aware grinders that have scoring touches.

I think Ferland - Malkin - Rust or Zucker - Malkin - Hornqvist are two really good examples.

Malkin likes to wheel and deal so having players that play simple, defensive games and can capitalize quickly and create space.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
A 33 year old Geno needs a triggerman like Jake, and a grunt like Hags. That's the ideal line for him, imo. Not those players specifically, obviously, but the general archetypes. Speed, one guy who can score goals and one-time pucks, one guy who is Hell on the forecheck, chases pucks, and can get the puck to Geno so he can do his thing.

Reactions: Riptide

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't even think McCann is in the same mold as Hagelin, he's more of a fast goal scorer that is also good defensively than anything. He's more in the DeBrusk or Zucker mold of winger. Rust is in the same mold as Hagelin, but he's a more skilled and less impactful Hagelin. He trades off the unique traits that makes Hagelin so special to become a more well rounded player. He can't do what Hagelin does, but he offers you a broader range of talents than Hagelin too.

The Penguins don't have anyone internally that can fill the need for Kessel to stay here. You need someone who's excellent on the forecheck, very fast and strong defensively to play opposite of Kessel. McCann isn't a great puck retriever and Rust isn't good enough at those things (plus he's worse on LW than RW).

Not sure if you watched the World Championships or not but Mccann was one of Canada's better players I thought. I really think he's poised to have a strong year.

Also @Big Friggin Dummy the reason I think we're more or less a lock to make the playoffs basically boils down to have a lot of confident in our roster still. I know we made it on game 81 this year but we spent half the season figuring out what our third line should be and we also had an unusually bad year from Malkin. I don't expect either of those things to be factors in this upcoming season. Injuries could derail things but we should be good if healthy.

Also I expect the Isles and Jackets to take a step back. Isles simply because they aren't gonna get that level of goaltending again, and Jackets because they may well lose all of Duchene, Panarin, and Bob. Rangers/Devils/Flyers should be improved but I don't know that it's by enough to supplant us for a spot.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not sure if you watched the World Championships or not but Mccann was one of Canada's better players I thought. I really think he's poised to have a strong year.

I didn't mean that as I thought McCann wasn't good, I love McCann. I just don't think he's a Hagelin type of player, I think he's more of a Zucker or DeBrusk kind of player. He's a fast goal scorer who's also good defensively, which isn't what Hagelin is. Hagelin is a defensive winger who dominates possession because of his speed.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’d hate if we brought back Hags.

I think Malkin needs players like Fedotenko Hagelin and Talbot, but more consistent. Defensively aware grinders that have scoring touches.

I think Ferland - Malkin - Rust or Zucker - Malkin - Hornqvist are two really good examples.

Malkin likes to wheel and deal so having players that play simple, defensive games and can capitalize quickly and create space.

Malkin with a Hagelin/Hornqvist or Jake/Hornqvist type line. Both will allow Malkin to float in behind and do less of the dirty work. A Jake type can be aggressive but has more skill. With regards to a Hagelin type he is pretty elite at his best attributes (speed, fore/backcheck, pressure) so does it still work if you bring in someone like him who likely won’t be as good. Who knows? We have decent and flexible depth though to move guys around.

Just as long as the new guy(s) brought in look to have the potential to play on any line. That’ll help with flexibility.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think your assessment of what G needs is spot on...but ideally one of the two wings has to be a good enough goal scorer though to take advantage of G drawing in the D...I’m not convinced that Simon or McCann are...I think at least one winger needs to be a top player in order to draw off some of the D that are crowding G ...as someone else noted, G gets less time and space than Sid does these days...ideally, someone like a Panarin or Stone would be one of G’s wingers...since we’re unlikely to get that, as Rip suggested, Jake is the best bet there...Jake and one of Simon, McCann or Rust would be ideal...

I like Hags. But we need to get younger. I hope they put the kibosh on the reunion tour...

Problem is he ain't getting Jake.

And I would stand by a belief that if you can't have Jake, McCann's probably the best guy on the roster to be feeding one-timers to. The guy has a cannon. Obviously we'd like to improve on it but I think that might be a bit difficult to do, particularly if we insist on the guy with the cannon being able to play D.

The things he doesn't do very well, Simon does.

Both guys would have to improve to really be it on a Malkin line but I like the idea.

As for Hags... honestly, I'm kinda expecting it now simply as Rutherford's way of saying "Sorry".

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think McCann-Bjugs-Rust has the makings of the best third line in the NHL™.

Rust just has to remember he's not a goal scoring floater, and get back to basics.

Of course, we also need three top-6 wingers in that scenario, but don't focus on unimportant details.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I didn't mean that as I thought McCann wasn't good, I love McCann. I just don't think he's a Hagelin type of player, I think he's more of a Zucker or DeBrusk kind of player. He's a fast goal scorer who's also good defensively, which isn't what Hagelin is. Hagelin is a defensive winger who dominates possession because of his speed.

Yeah I know my comment was kinda unrelated to your point and was more just a general assessment that I was impressed with McCann at the Worlds and I'm more confident than ever that he's going to be good for us.

Trading Sheahan and Brassard for him alone would have been worth it, to say nothing of getting Bjugstad too.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
PK Subban - Phil Kessel

giphy.gif

Reactions: Andy99 and Trade

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I think McCann-Bjugs-Rust has the makings of the best third line in the NHL™.

Rust just has to remember he's not a goal scoring floater, and get back to basics.

Of course, we also need three top-6 wingers in that scenario, but don't focus on unimportant details.

I would give that line a legit shot, but in your scenario you better trade both Phil and Horny.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I would give that line a legit shot, but in your scenario you better trade both Phil and Horny.

Why? Hornqvist produces well with Malkin. Some might not like how it looks... but production wise they're fine. Just need to put someone who has a little skill but also hustles and isn't shit defensively on the other wing and it would probably be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad